Loose screw trail updates.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose screw trail updates.

Here's a place for finding out about the routes available at this years Loose Screw, hopefully the guys working the other routes will chime in.

As an asssistant to Ian (and other trail gnomes) this year, we have the C+ route well under way and should satisfy those looking to step up from a C ride. There "should" be no trees to cross depending on Ma Natures mood before the event. Some singletrack, double track, gravel road and pavement. There will be options off the base track, some harder some easier and throughout the day there are terrific views.

Here's seven pictures from the top of Tutakamin Mt. looking towards Westwold.

a little zoomed and a little messed up.

So far most all the trail work has been done on big bikes, really big bikes.

that's all for now will update as things progress.
    a smart man only believes half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half.

A Route Update
    3 of us rode the complete A route yesterday. All in all it's in great shape, and damn there are some nice sections in there. BUT! It will be a long and steady ride for some at least. It was coolish for July yesterday, and August most likely will be hotter. It was a bit shy of 120 kmh ride, with probably 75% or so of single track. You will remember far more twists and turns than you will road sections. We did do a little bit of clearing and flagging,and just a few rest/snack/water breaks so your run times may vary? It was 7 hours almost to the minute out and back to the top of the hill. Most of the harder sections and slow going is in the morning, and it eases up as you get further in over the day, which is probably a good thing? So enjoy it everyone!
    Last edited by cactusreid; 07-09-2018, 04:30 PM.
    you know-once your over the hill,you tend to pick up speed!

Comment

C+

Getting close to ready. We rode the entire route on Sunday and it should take most people about 2-3 hours to do each section.

There's a wide variety of experiences in the route. Smooth FSR, rough FSR, 2-track width trail, Single track trail, some decent climbs and descents. It's a very fun route on a big bike.

There are a couple of log crossings but they can be ridden around. Here's my take on the C+....

- Will be fun and flowy for anyone on a sub 500cc bike.
      - Adventure bikes you should have some skills, like the ability to ride standing up and picking up your bike. I haven't dropped mine on the route (yet) but I could see it happening depending on line choice.....<Edit> drops have occurred......lol.
      - Recommend knobbies (Mitas E-09 or Dunlop D606 for example) though you'll get through just fine with 50/50 (Mitas E-07 for example) with a few challenging spots.
      Last edited by LordEndo; 07-20-2018, 06:00 PM.

Comment

rode the entire route yesterday on 3 big bikes, it was a little warm though the pub lunch refreshments were cold (and food was awesome). This ride will be the perfect route for those looking to step up from a "C" level ride as it has a little of everything.

at the staging area before getting dirty.

along the way.

though it is bound to change, the river is high and ccc-ool right now. perfect for clearing the dust and refreshing the body after the ride.
        One more pass thru before the event should see all (enuf) flagging in place and the removal of some more wood off of the trail.

Comment

pre rode the C ride yesterday for a roll chart check, looks to be a nice approx. 5hr ride with a little of most everything, dirt, paved, scenic, mayybe some dust, and a stop at the Pub! (if you choose)

some pics of what you may see, here along Robbins Cr Rd.

a color coordinated butterfly.

null

along Rob Roy FSR

along Douglas Lk Rd.

ditto

last shot of the day, following along Lower Duck Range Rd. on the return trip to camp and chilled refreshments along the river.

should be a good ride for all you C riders see you at the event.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusreid View Post
            A Route Update
            3 of us rode the complete A route yesterday. All in all it's in great shape, and damn there are some nice sections in there. BUT! It will be a long and steady ride for some at least. It was coolish for July yesterday, and August most likely will be hotter. It was a bit shy of 120 kmh ride, with probably 75% or so of single track. You will remember far more twists and turns than you will road sections. We did do a little bit of clearing and flagging,and just a few rest/snack/water breaks so your run times may vary? It was 7 hours almost to the minute out and back to the top of the hill. Most of the harder sections and slow going is in the morning, and it eases up as you get further in over the day, which is probably a good thing? So enjoy it everyone!

Hello I was thinking of doing the A route this year is it close to the planned B route like a couple years ago? towards Falkland ? or it going up to Sun peaks way like previous years for Lunch ? any more info would be great. And if I got the B route is it close to 2 years back. Thanks

Comment

Anyone who has room for me a 350 Husky bike and Tote of gear I would be able to pitch in 100$ for Gas to catch a ride up to event. I normally ride Sat and some on Sunday then drive back but I am flex can leave on Thurs/Fri anytime and come back Sat/Sunday.. Thanks
              Last edited by Curse; 08-01-2018, 06:47 PM.

Comment

It is close to the B route, in fact it uses parts of the B route to get to The next A sections. A wise man, if in doubt, might ot to have a B route sheet and maybe a B track loaded up just in case you felt more "B" ish ,say half way through the day? It follows the same general direction as the B but we don't take you into Falkland, as your going to need most of the day to finish the A. The B route is pretty close to what it was in 2016,as far as I know.
                you know-once your over the hill,you tend to pick up speed!

Comment

Routes sent. Take a look at them and load them all in your GPS. The B has some pretty sweet new sections that A riders will be able to make quick work of.

I already started looking at potential A routes for next year tonight. Can you say "up the waterfall, are they f*cking nuts?"

Dan

Comment

it was f-ing nuts the first time we went down it that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 04klr View Post
                      it was f-ing nuts the first time we went down it that's for sure.
                      Ha! Up was good last weekend. I recommend a sticky tire!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X