Dirty Face Ride Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

imported post

I heard that GPS info for this ride might be issued. is this true? SOmeone told me they got an email stating they would recieve it. Anyone else? I'm leaving Thursday and would like to get it.
    Brian

Comment

imported post

I also received the same email.

But have not seen the files.

Dale.

Comment

imported post

Hey Gang,

My friend Jen and I are going down- we are both registered, as is Sagot, who put his back out last week and can't ride yet. Anyone want to pretend to be him and take his spot, let me know-sounds like they were okay with substitutions, we can either tell them your real name or you can pretend to be Sagot, as you like.

ALSO, we're arriving around dusk on Friday night, but I haven't reserved a campsite yet- anyone have a number for where to do this OR mind if Jen and I crash their site (we planned to crash Uncle Paul's campsite- he's easy to spot with the hammock in the tree- but I see he's already crashing someone else's place). I've been working on perfecting my Mohito recipe and will supply our host with these refreshing Cuban beverages all night and extra car fee in exchange for a bit of real estate on Friday and Saturday nights....

sPam

Comment

imported post

spam and eggs wrote:
          Hey Gang,

My friend Jen and I are going down- we are both registered, as is Sagot, who put his back out last week and can't ride yet. Anyone want to pretend to be him and take his spot, let me know-sounds like they were okay with substitutions, we can either tell them your real name or you can pretend to be Sagot, as you like.

ALSO, we're arriving around dusk on Friday night, but I haven't reserved a campsite yet- anyone have a number for where to do this OR mind if Jen and I crash their site (we planned to crash Uncle Paul's campsite- he's easy to spot with the hammock in the tree- but I see he's already crashing someone else's place). I've been working on perfecting my Mohito recipe and will supply our host with these refreshing Cuban beverages all night and extra car fee in exchange for a bit of real estate on Friday and Saturday nights....

sPam
          Mrs. Skid, skiddog& I are in a cabin 1 mile up the road; I'm sure there'll be space if you like.

Forest service folks I spoke with today said the skeeters are especially bad this season...
          -- You're not done until the gorilla says you're done. --

Comment

imported post

skidmark43 wrote:

Mrs. Skid, skiddog& I are in a cabin 1 mile up the road; I'm sure there'll be space if you like.

Forest service folks I spoke with today said the skeeters are especially bad this season...
            that would be awesome- I'll PM you for more detailed directions.....

Comment

imported post

BugsInTeeth,

I haven't heard from you, did try to call you back. I am picking up a rider in Abbotsford so one spot on the trailer is now taken. Still should have a spot on the site for an extra tent.

Hawk

Comment

imported post

What a great weekend! Great people, Food and Scenery! A few pics for those that might want to go next year!

Neil and I are all set up, ready to pitch in with advice for the others as they come in!

Speaking of which, John and Judy pull in......

Nothing like the dogs taking their owner for a walk, wonder how she stops! Lol!

John and Judy were strugling to get it level, good thing Neil was there to supervise! Lol!

The leveling team working the magic!

Now we're set, Pop, Red Bull and Java!

Time for food!

Ham Hock, Schnitzel, Red Cabbage, Spatzle and oh ya BEER!

Lets dig in!

Did someone say there was a ride as well?

Comment

imported post

The morning was perfect for riding! Tom was up and ready to go!

The first view point of the day!

Thanks guysfor guiding me along! Told ya I was just stopping for pics! Lol!

Oh ya, lots of pics!

Most of the DSBC group enjoying a

Looking forward to the "Dead Zone"!

Comment

imported post

Another excellent ride

This was my second Dirty Face and I was not disappointed.

When Printerboy and myself left Friday night I was a littleworried about the weather, but by the time we woke up Saturday morning all was good in the world again. Nice and Sunnycool too, the perfect riding conditions. The trails were damp not muddy, made for great traction and no dust.Its days like this that makes all that riding in the rain and mud worthwhile.

Anyhow, the start of the run the hosts of this event put on a great pancake breakfast to get us ready for the day ahead. Some of us had breakfast at the campsite hosted by our own JJ, Much thanks for the coffee too, i needed it after sleeping on the ground after all that beer. I did not count but would think that DSBC made up close 10% of the riders (180 total). Not bad for a little hick northern province. The presence of so many Canadians was not missed by the organisers either. Nice turn out everyone, give yourselves a hand.

7 of us decided on the A options for the day and would ride together. JJ PB and Poco chose the B route (i heard it was more like a B++) The route was well marked and the route sheets perfect over the 100 miles. I would have liked to see and addition 30-40 miles added to the ride, but considering the terrain and scenery, that made up for the distance.

I am sure more pictures will be posted soon (didnt have my camera) Thanks PocoRed for that nice picture of me just waking up, lucky for my I was riding so I could change from bed-head to helmet-head

If you were thinking about this ride make sure to mark it on your calender for next year, great event for all sizes of DS bikes and levels of riders. All this and only four hours from Vancouver.

Thanks Lake Wenatchee Recreation Club for your Hospitality

Tom Timmerman

Tom Timmerman
                    Past President DSBC

Comment

imported post

Tom I took pity and did not post the before coffee shot! VBG!

Comment

imported post

My Ride Report

First off I have to say taking Hwy 9 from Sumasall the way toHwy 2 is not a short cut!!!! I know better for next time. Now that I have that out of my system I can continue.

The Dirty Face 2007 was once again a great ride. It was a well organized and planned ride and the folks from the Lake Wenatchee Rec Club know how to put on an event

It was great to see all of the DSBCers there.

The weather was a bit sketching on the way down but things cleard up and ride day dawned with sunshine. The rain from the previous days kept the dust down.

A group of us went for agood ole fashioned "Ocktoberfest" dinner on Friday night. I think the thought was to load up on protein and carbs (and beer)

Rider's meeting was at 8am at the LWRC clubhouse (ya ya ya they have a clubhouse BUT Tom has a DSBC BUS!!!!)

After the rider's meeting there was a mad dash to get out on the course so we humg back a bit to avoid the crowds.

This year they had 2 completely seperate courses. They crossed paths at the check points and the lunch stop. Tom Mark Paul Neil etc decided to do the "A" course and Tony Doug and I did the "B".

Doug coming out thebushes after doing some singletrack.

[email protected]@k at the beautiful fairing on PocoRed's KLR! ! ! Ask him where he got it from.

I got voted to lead our happy little group (it was unanimous, Tony and Doug didn't want to lead so they made me do it ). The roll charts are in Miles and our bikes are KMs . . .can you see the challenge!!! Luckily the GPS can configured to miles but it's not as accurate as an odometer. Only a few turns were missed. The trails were also marked and if I had gone to the riders meeting I would have known what color ribbins to follow.

Doug watching Tony come down the hill.

The windscreen on the fairing is adjustable

This is the kind of views we had all day. That's Doug (aka printerboy). He and Tom made a last minute decision to attend this event. I think both were pretty glad that they did.

And here comes Tony again. This was after a particularily rutted, sandy, steep two track section.

Doug and I taking a break to enjoy the view

This was an eerie section to ride thru. Therehad been a forest fire and all the trees were grey and when we got up here the sky clouded over and that was grey too. Spooky

This area must have experienced the same terrible wind storms that we had earlier this year. Last year we didn't have any fallen trees to contend with. This year the fallen trees were every where!!! This is one particularily interesting one. The best way to do it was to stay on your bike. . . if you weren't too tall.

Here's a group trying to figure it out.

And hereeeeeee's Tony. He's a tall guy on a tall bike . . you do the math.

Doug got in there to give him a hand

They made it

They skies began to threaten us with rain so I felt is was best to wick it up a notch and get us back quickly. So there was very little stopping and picture taking after this.

I also thought that the course was going to be longer (another 20-30 miles). Gosh was I surprised to turn the page on my roll chart and see that we only had 5 more miles of dirt!!! Always review your roll chartBEFORE you start the ride to avoid surprises

Luckily Tony is a fanatic when it comes to taking photos and he took enough for the both of us (actually, he took enough for the entire group . . .well done Tony).

We made it back in plenty of enough time for a few beers, ride stories, burgers and chit chat. Everyone who participated in the ride (and attended the wrap up social at the club house) got a prize of some sort.

A few of us stayed an extra night to do more riding on Sunday. The weather was even better on Sunday and the trails had no one on them. It was a great day!!

In an earlier post, bugsinteeth mentioned that he had a "better set than the hammock from last year". Check this out!!

What a happy little unit he has attached to the top of his truck. Everyone who walked by had to stop and ask about it. It certainly is an up-grade from the hammock.

And what is a ride report with out a warm fuzzy photo of Beemer!!!

So there you have it. Another great out of town ride and only 4 hours away (as long as you don't take Hwy 9!!!!!! . . . ok, I had to mention it just one more time).

Next Ride . . . . . .

The DEAD ZONE.

On the internet you can be anything you want . . . . . It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

Comment

imported post

Howdy All,

Just checkin in to say it was great to see so many of my Canadian friends again while you were doing the Dirty Face. Sorry for not remembering your names but I always enjoy seeing your faces eh.

Comment

imported post

Well, I don't have alot of Dirty Face photos as we dropped out 25% of the way in due to mechanical problems:-( but here is a link to the photos of my overall Washington State Ride that I did as an extension to the rally...

http://picasaweb.google.com/dooveman...ngtonStateRide

Comment

imported post

A little late posting my pics from this ride, there's only a few:

Mountain men

Bugsinteeth was 9th in points overall- also 9th in our hearts.... and he grills up a great steak....

Big thanks to Skidmark for allowing Jen and I to crash your living room on Friday, and to Hawk for having cold ones at the finish line- this man is prepared for anything (and thanks also for changing that avatar!)

Comment

imported post

Oh dear!

I had hoped that last photo would not surface.

Now that it's found it's way on here. I want to thank Andy for all his mentorship and guidence! I never could have done it without you.

Pam, next year you're going all the way! #1

Paul N.

Comment

Working...
                                X