2010 ORCA trail clearing and pre rides

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

imported post

Great C route pre ride ride today. Ten riders!!
    Thanks for coming out. Heard positive comments on the route.

Good lunch at the Cow Cafe. It is our recommended lunch stop for the Orca C route May 8.

Cow Cafe and Cookhouse, 51 North Shore Rd, Lake Cowichan village.

C pre ride - Caycuse Cross over. Kiwi and Bones

Comment

imported post

Great ride, thanks everyone.

Meeting at the campground

Mount Prevost

Bottom of Hill 60

Youbou

Caycuse hill

Lunch in Cowichan Lake

Almost back to Campground

Comment

imported post

Great ride today!

On the road from 6 am to 9:29 pm. Cousin not in at 6 pm so decided quickly to take the 7 pm ferry home. Tired on the ferry but downed some orange juice 15 min. before left ferry and alert enough going home.

Looking forward to The Ride in 2 weeks.

Thank-you Mike and Allison for such a good day.

Phyllis

Comment

imported post

Hi Phyllis, very glad you came over from the mainland! A long day for sure.
          You had a great day of riding, we could tell by the perma grin!
          See you again on the Orca weekend.

Comment

imported post

I so am looking forward to the c route on The BIG OL KLR....going to be a BLASTPaul.S

Comment

imported post

LOZ

Thank you for all you did Plotting,Clearing and Marking A+B Route trails.Anybody who enjoys these routes ought to buy this man a drink at the ORCA Run. I know I will!!!

Thanx again

Mad Max

Here is who to look for to say Thank-you!

When NOTHING goes RIGHT .... GO LEFT!!!

Comment

imported post

Nice shot! That must be the new A trail.

Comment

imported post

yeah I was having a little navigational challenge...........

Comment

imported post

I completely agree, though I felt like I was always playing catchup on the C loop. After a quick pitstop 10 mins into the ride to fix a pinchflat (thanks to the guy in the jeep at Mason's store for loaning me a socket and waiting while I changed the tube - note to anyone else relying on the stock tool kit "the 17mm open wrench will spread on the axle")I caught up to everyone on the power lines......only to have to stop for gas in Cow Lake......but then I caught up in Youbou......only to ride off ahead and miss the turn before Kissenger Lake and end up 25 kms out towards Nitnat......but I once again caught up on Gordon Main and from there behaved. Nothing like riding under pressure to increase the fun (fast) factor.

Good day, nice to meet new riders and the weather gods had mercy.

Cheers

Comment

imported post

Pretty funny! You were going like hell all day! Glad you caught up (more than once!)
                      At least your motor didn't seize!

Comment

imported post

Better to change a flat there (c/w milk crates and loaned tools... how lucky) thanout Nitinaht way.

Comment

imported post

No kidding, it started to get mushy about 100' from the driveway into the store. They were kind enough to loan me the crates and the guy in the jeep offered assistance right away (he's also a rider) and I said I had tools and was okay. He was just about to drive away when I realized just how crappy my tools were....."Hey, you don't happen to have a 17mm socket do you?" Gotta love bike enthusiasts.

Comment

imported post

I know what you mean about the supplied tools. I evaluated my kit this winter and came up with this set. Don't know what the sizes are for your KLX but my 2009 is 17/19mm front, 22/27mm rear axle nuts. The stock kit doesn't have anything 19mm unless you count the pliers. Slight gain in weight/bulk from stock. I prefer six point. Might still rework the 17's former open endto be another tire spoon like the 22.
                            Attached Files

Comment

imported post

Thanks, I like the idea of the combined wrench/spoon. For long trips I usually assemble an assortment of more substantial tools, but now I'll look for some light weight options to keep with the bike.

Cheers,

Riskman

Comment

imported post

We went out yesterday for a practise ride of the C loop. FANTASTIC!!! Very well marked! The Powerline line section was tons of fun. There are lots of puddles so make sure you have waterproof boots and pants!!Don't forget tolook around the scenery it is amazing. We took our time, GPSing and talking to people we met along the way. It took about 6 hours. No bears but I did see a grouse and there was a huge yarder being moved down the road, so keep in mind you will be traveling through active logging areas. My annualflat tire didn't happen until I got back to town! PHEW! I can't wait to do it with all of you next weekend!

Comment

Working...
                                X