Moregon 2019 (adv version)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moregon 2019 (adv version)

Posting this ride in case there may be some interest from this group. Its an epic ADV ride into north eastern Oregon that I have done a handful of times over the years. This ride was originally put together by the sport bike crowd on bcsportbikes forum they call it the "Moreon ride". Over the years I have fine tuned this ride to suit my ADV bike by taking a more direct and gnarly route to some of the best motorcycle roads in North America. eg. "Hells Canyon Byway" " The Little Dragon" "Devils Tail" " John Day Hwy" to name a few. Its a 4 day distance ride on some very technical roads experience is required. June 21 - 24th
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Moregon 2017 Track.png
Views:	169
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	352100
    Be Prepared For The Unexpected

Day 1

4:30 am Shell stn 64th & 176th. Go time 5:00 am

2nd meet up spot - 9:00am 251 km south on the I5. McDs 21007 WA-410, Bonney Lake, WA 98391, USA

410 to Yakima 97 to Biggs junction to Wasco 206 to Heppner to Ukiah NF052 to NFD73 ( Anthony Lakes hwy) to Little Alps to Baker City.

Day 1 requires staying on schedule to complete a 300 km fuel range is required. Issues that can alter the route are weather, rain or wind and road conditions. Section from Ukiah to Baker City is remote and technical if behind schedule alternate route ( hwy 244 ) to La Grande is an option. This is not the shortest route to Baker City but its the most adventurous one.

Highlights for day 1 include :
    - the epic climb up and over Mt Rainier
    - Windmill country hwy 206 very scenic
    - Section of the Blue mountain byway ( trees starting to grow thru the cracks in the road last time i rode it)
    - climb up and over the Elkhorn mountain range

Will post up day 2 in a few days questions for day 1 are welcome

Last edited by filterwrench; 02-18-2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Elevation profile for day 1 Click image for larger version

Name:	Moro 2017 Day 1.png
Views:	115
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	352103

Comment

Sounds fantastic. What bike will you/have you ridden on this route?

Comment

I have ridden this route a handfull of times on a GS 1200. Have been an assortment of different bikes join me from Honda touring bike 1300 to a Ninja 1000 abs. Even a yamaha Raider with a gas can strapped to his seat. Hands down a twin cyl ADV bike is the best option for this ride on the ever changing road conditions in eastern Oregon. The suspension travel comes in handy.

Comment

Looks like fun! But sorry you lost me at 4:30 am.
            you know-once your over the hill,you tend to pick up speed!

Comment

Ha ha little early for ya, June 21st is the longest day of the year to boot and its gonna be hair straight back right till dark

Comment

Day 1 of this ride is a long day that requires keeping the wheels rolling at posted speeds and managing time spent at fuel stops. 1 hour for breakfast and 1/2 hour for the other 3 fuel stops. The reward is a day of great riding on some of the most remote and deserted byways in Oregon and getting positioned for 2 days of world class riding. I like to book a room in Baker City for a couple nights which gives the option to lighten the bike up for day 2. There are a number of epic day rides out of Baker City one can choose from. Im still in the process of fine tuning my route for day 2 but will post it in time.

Name:	51.png
Views:	89
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	352116 Little Alps 2017. Little behind schedule due to frequent fuel stops for the Raider.
                Attached Files

Comment

haha. me too Cactus.
                  a smart man only believes half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half.

Comment

Day 2

Lots of options for epic day rides out of Baker City. This year I,m going to slow it down and explore some gravel roads around the Hells Canyon area. A nice late start is in order after day 1 with a ride plan( weather permitting) to mix it up 50/50 dirt and pavement. Hwy 86 out to Copperfield ( very cool ride). Then hop the bridge over to the Idaho side of the canyon and rip the "Devils Tail" its a very twisty road lots of fun, on the way back out take a little side loop and climb out of the canyon on the Klienschmidt Grade Rd then take NF 072 back to the Oregon side and do another climb up Hess Rd to the "Hells Canyon Overlook" to " Upper Imnaha Rd" to Imnaha to " The Hat Point Lookout" Back down to Imnaha to the epic cream portion of the"Hells Canyon Byway" route back to Hwy 86. If there is any time left in the day stay on the gravel and try and find a back way to " Medical Springs" or hwy 86 to Baker City.

Name:	Hells-Canyon-Map1.gif
Views:	65
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	352123

Comment

Pretty sure I've done most of those roads over the years, but yeah, you lost me at the start time.

Small chance I might meet up along the way / join for a bit, I'm still working out my trip calendar & job calendar. Some amazing roads in that area (though I can't expand the maps, so guessing mostly ).

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/xV...=w1296-h972-no[/img]

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ev...J=w729-h972-no[/img]

Might go down the long way and try and meeting up coming from the north east (i.e. via Rattlesnake ). Might give you a call when the time is closer...

B.

Edit: Not sure why it's not posting the photos properly, the wonders of DSBC

Comment

Ya day 1 is a long one for sure but it makes it possible to pull this ride off in 4 days. leaving early makes getting south of Seattle a little less painful also. I need to get cracking on installing my new suspension on the GS maybe get a few day rides in to get warmed up.

Comment

DAY 3

Pack up the bike in the morning and head west most all day. Two coffees recommended as just out of Baker City limits "The Little Dragon" Hwy 245 has a reputable 184 turns in 12 miles with gravel on most every turn with a steep drop off on your right going up then on your left going down. After the wake up call there is some nice cruising on hwy 26 north up to Middle Fork Road. This is a strange road as I have seen 3 different road surfaces on this 36 mile stretch used to be an old busted up paved road the next year it was all gravel and the last time I rode it it was mostly chip sealed. Its really in the middle of nowhere and your either dodging cows or cow pies. It hooks up to a rather fast section of the John Day Hwy which is short lived as a right turn at Long Creek puts you heading west on the 402 to Monument. at Kimberley a right turn puts you back onto the John Day Hwy this section is an epic motorcycle road all the way to Fossil where you go on an awesome ride to the 218 to Shaniko . Then onto Bakeoven Road to the BLM access road to the 216 to the 197 up to The Dalles.
                          Hands down the best day ride I have ever experienced even compared to Hwy 1 and Hwy 36 in NorCal I would still choose the ride above.

Last edited by filterwrench; 04-12-2019, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Comment

Some good roads planned. 402 was cooking when I went through there last year, the rocks next the the highway can feel like the side of an oven Great tiny roads, low traffic!

Comment

Working...
                              X