Moregon 2019 (adv version)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by filterwrench View Post
    This looks like the hairpin just north of Antelope.

Comment

Bang on on the hairpin, that is one amazing stretch of road. Reason I like it there so much is the lack of traffic I had days where I seen more motorcycles on the John Day Hwy than cars. Have you ridden Hess Rd up and out of Hells canyon before?
      Be Prepared For The Unexpected

Comment

Another cool spot along the route

Comment

just came thru John day and some of those roads a week and a half ago, with snow along the roadside!
          still the same almost vacant twisty roads.
          a smart man only believes half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half.

Comment

Sounds too cold for me must be deserted this time of the year. Some of those towns are like a step back in time.

Comment

Comment

Bang on on the hairpin, that is one amazing stretch of road. Reason I like it there so much is the lack of traffic I had days where I seen more motorcycles on the John Day Hwy than cars. Have you ridden Hess Rd up and out of Hells canyon before?
                I'm not sure. Is that the gravel road that takes off from the viewpoint? If so, no I haven't.

Comment

Hess rd is a gravel road that is a steep climb out of the canyon starting near the dam on the Oregon side , I have not tried this climb read its all good if its a dry day. Its a gravel route that goes up to the Hells Canyon Look out. Weather permiting going to try that route on day 2 and then stay on gravel up to the Hat Point Lookout and make a loop back to Baker City on the best part of the Hells Canyon Byway.

Comment

Hess rd is a gravel road that is a steep climb out of the canyon starting near the dam on the Oregon side , I have not tried this climb read its all good if its a dry day. Its a gravel route that goes up to the Hells Canyon Look out. Weather permiting going to try that route on day 2 and then stay on gravel up to the Hat Point Lookout and make a loop back to Baker City on the best part of the Hells Canyon Byway.
                    I've looked at it a few times, but never taken it.

FYI, there is a cool little place to stay in Halfway, which would mean you've got a lot closer spot to start from
                    [img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Hm...=w1480-h983-no[/img] (though DSBC doesn't like these image links

I forget the name of it, but there's only one.

Comment

Another cool spot along the route

Which road is this?

Comment

Hwy 74 halfway between Heppner and Nye.

Comment

Day 4

Leave The Dalles heading west with a little side trip on the historical Hwy 30 then pay a toll $1 to cross the river. West on 14 then north on the Wind River Hwy a left on Curly Creek Rd thru Northwoods and then north on NFD 25 with a side trip to the Windy Ridge viewpoint if the road is open. NFD 25 goes right on thru to Hwy 12 it was a very rough road last time I was on it. From there it all depends on the time of day one could beeline it home Hwy 7 or do a 2 hour side trip and ride through Paradise. The loop through Paradise would require a toll but I,m thinking it would be worth it even if your just passing through. That is the ride 4 days and approximately 2500 km with a lot of twisties

Comment

There has been no confirmed riders for the June ride date therefore the ride date has been changed to May 28th to May 31

Comment

Done deal! awesome 4 day ride with a good bit of adventure, had to modify the planned route every day due to this late spring. Snow level was at 5000 ft in all the 3 states we rode. Still had a lot of fun on the few patches of clean dry pavement we found but most roads still had winter silt on them. Big thanks to John for joining me on this adventure.

https://youtu.be/H0Ua7BXYQqM

Comment

Working...
                              X