Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Access via Chilko Lake FSR and Chilko-Newton Roads...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access via Chilko Lake FSR and Chilko-Newton Roads...?

So, I'm thinking of doing the Chilko Lake FSR on the July Long weekend (between Nemaiah Valley north to the north end of Chilko Lake, go past the west end of Tsuniah Lake), page 12 on the Backroads book V2.

Was wondering if that is the best way or should I go to Chilko Lake via the Chauigan Lake route. It's been a late spring so I'm wondering about creek xings and mud holes....

Also does anyone know if the River Road (Chilko-Newton) is passable now....?

Thanks!

Have you gone already? If not, I have a proven GPS route through there that you can use.

Comment

I'm heading up that way next week and would love to have your GPS route.
      Cheers

Comment

Hey there BCHunter, too bad I didn't see your post before we went.

Funny how things happen, here we are two years later and it turns out you were already trying to lend me a hand back then :0)

BTW, it's Guy from PG who's planning the Labour Day long weekend Ride.

turns out we didn't do the Chilcotin FSR route as I chickened out cuz I heard there were some deep mud holes after Nemiah. The gas station was closed in Nemiah so we had to beg/purchase some from the Elkins Creek Lodge, nice folk.

from there we rode up to Chaunigan Lake and had a super dinner at the lodge. There is an old road from there to Henry's xing but a fellow from Alberta who owns a place at Chaunigan said there were some deep mud holes and possible deep creek we would have to wade through so we passed, still saw some nice country though. I would like to still do the Nemiah to Henry's crossing route some day, if you get a chance could you send me your GPS info?

Makeover I learnt that the River Road was still washed out at Bidwell Creek, a dirt bike experience rider could probably make it though. We started down that road from the Chilko lake side but I had a low speed crash when I hit some Chilcotin mud (light rain had been following over night), so we turned around.
        Thanks again and take care.

ps: have you ridden from Hwy 20 north of Aniham Lake to the Blackwater/Nazko/West Road? I heard there is an ATV route connecting the two roads.

Comment

Anyone done the Nemaiah valley to Tsuniah lake lately. I drove my camper through there 20 years ago and would like to go back if it is still doable.

Comment

Hey Pembydoorider.

We had planned to ride this as part of our July 8th ride from PG to Bella Coola to Gang Ranch, to Lillooet to Boston Bar via the west side of the Fraser, but 2 days before take off we looked at the weather and it was forecasted to be rain in the Chilcotin for the next 1.5weeks so we checked the weather forecast and headed towards the Kootenays instead, still had only 2 of the 8 days where we did not put our rain gear on, but at least we were not fighting the Chilcotin mud.

I understand its still accesaable as long as its not too wet as there are some volkswagen sized puddle/mud holes in that section. I heard that the folks from Nemiah do drive their cars through when its dry.

If you go let us know how you make out as this is on my list of rides for 2017 (if we have usual summer sun that is).

Comment

Originally posted by Pembydoorider View Post
              Anyone done the Nemaiah valley to Tsuniah lake lately. I drove my camper through there 20 years ago and would like to go back if it is still doable.
              Went through there a couple of years ago on a ktm 990,piece of cake.Nice sights.

Comment

Originally posted by Pembydoorider View Post
                Went through in 2013 and again last year on a pavement avoiding trip to Bella Coola. Had no issues.

Comment

Completed the route up the East side of Chilko Lake in July.
                  Beautiful ride.
                  No issues...a very good road during the dry July we had.
                  Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                  X