Dual Sport Registration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Sport Registration

Can anyone clarify this nebulous theme of registering your dual sport motorcycle in BC? I spoke with several people including somebody at ICBC who stated any motorcycle that had the necessary safety equipment(signals, horns, reflectors, brake light etc) could be registered. Other people have different opinions. I understand that a dual sport motorcycle without a Transport Canada sticker is not compliant; there are very few bikes which actually do. Manufactures must pay the Government a significant amount of money to receive this authorization;thus the reason why many dual purpose motorcycles do not possess it. However at this point in time (12-05-2011) individuals are registering their dual purpose bikes with no Transport Canada tags at ICBC.

The point that some people make is that your motorcycle may not pass an inspection based on its NVIS classification. Obviously if the motorcycle's NVIS said "for off road use only" it is clearly spelled out as being illegal. But what of the NVIS that states dual purpose motorcycle? Would I not be able to register a motorcycle without a Transport Canada sticker? Would I be unable to keep my plates if the motorcycle failed an inspection based on the paperwork and not the safety requirements on the bike?

move to Washington state and ride your dirt bike on the roads legally. Otherwise it is all grey area in most provinces.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Trider View Post
      move to Washington state and ride your dirt bike on the roads legally. Otherwise it is all grey area in most provinces.
      Move to Washington?? good luck with that, have you tried to ride off road there lately? I know I know off topic anyhow

I dont know who you are and why such a stange question. What dual sport bikes do you speak of? some old ds bike? , a dirt bike? New Dual Sport bikes are street legal in BC, at least the mainstream ones are. some of the Chinese and European bikes are brought in as Restricted Use Motorcycles RUM

If your bike was brought in as a RUM the law sez you can not street legal that bike. Its that simple. Some guys are probably finding way around this but I would doubt that they would post here how to do it. With the amount of good street legal dirt bike available now I dont know why this would be an issue if you were looking for a good DS bike. The consiquences far outwieght the benifits of trying to sneak one by the man.

So if you have an old Dual Sport bike but no registration with it or it was not registered it probably not worth the effort to jump thru the hoops, unless you dont value your time

TT
      Tom Timmerman
      Past President DSBC

Comment

It is a grey area...this is why I bought one with a Transport Canada sticker.

What bike specifically are you speaking about?
        Dan

Comment

Legal Bikes?

Excuse my ignorance then because I am unaware of a large selection of more dirt oriented legal dual sport motorcycles. The only choices I am aware of are KTM EXC's and Husky TE's from 07 forward, a 2011 Husaberg 570 and the Suzuki Drz400S. KLR's and similar sized motorcycles are too heavy for the riding I am interested in. Please inform me on what other used bikes are legal. I am looking for a bike now, was recently contemplating an 09 Husaberg.

Comment

Originally posted by tpochay View Post
            Excuse my ignorance then because I am unaware of a large selection of more dirt oriented legal dual sport motorcycles. The only choices I am aware of are KTM EXC's and Husky TE's from 07 forward, a 2011 Husaberg 570 and the Suzuki Drz400S. KLR's and similar sized motorcycles are too heavy for the riding I am interested in. Please inform me on what other used bikes are legal. I am looking for a bike now, was recently contemplating an 09 Husaberg.
            All depends what you are looking for; 50/50 bike, single track bike, play bike, to Starbucks bike covered in dirt bike...

I didn't list the years beside them, but once you pick the model you want (need) you can research how far back they go street-legal from the factory.

Honda CRF230L
            Honda XR650L

Husaberg FE570S

Husqvarna TE250
            Husqvarna TE310
            Husqvarna TE449
            Husqvarna TE450
            Husqvarna TE510
            Husqvarna TE610
            Husqvarna TE630

Kawasaki KLX250S
            Kawasaki KLR650

KTM 450 EXC
            KTM 530 EXC
            KTM 690R

Suzuki DR200SE
            Suzuki DR-Z400S
            Suzuki DR650SE

Yamaha TW200
            Yamaha WR250X
            Yamaha XT225
            Yamaha XT250
            Dan

Comment

Honda makes a whole line, there's used CBFs on Used Victoria right now, Yamaha makes a whole line, actually two lines that I know of, there's more Suzukis than just the DR400.

Comment

I'm interested in an answer to the op's question. I have a perfectly good '02 KTM EXC, I have seen quite a few pre-'07 of the same era as mine that have plates on them. How did they do it? I don't want to spend thousands on a newer bike when for a few hundred I can add the mirrors, lights, horn, and whatever else I would need to comply. I am not interested in pavement riding, I have a real street bike for that, I just don't want to be caught with no insurance if I find myself pulled over on some back country gravel road between trails. If people feel uncomfortable posting to this thread please pm me with any info that might be helpful. Thanks for any replies.

Comment

I guess I'll blow the dust off this post. I recently purchased a 2004 Klx 400r for a sweet deal. It was a bit of a project as its been sitting for 4 years but it is a perfect way to get back in the saddle and chase my kid around. To my surprise the previous owner hands me registration and transfer papers from when he bought it from a dealer in 2008. Its obviously had a baja kit on it due to the extra wires I've found and the extra rear fender/tailight it came with. I guess what I want to know is, is the registration still valid or did the ICBC cancel the conversions. It is registered as a m/c not a RUM bike.

Comment

You should be fine.

Comment

Definitely an unexpected bonus. Thanks.

Comment

"Good Morning, I'm ready to re insure my motorcycle this year" "The sun is out, and i'm missing riding"
                        Good opening lines at the insurance office.
                        Friday afternoon at 3 :30 pm is also a great time to get things expedited, before a long weekend is even better.
                        If this ridiculous good weather keeps up, I'm going to plate my ktoomie in March this year!
                        you know-once your over the hill,you tend to pick up speed!

Comment

Working...
                        X