Why are there 60 forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are there 60 forums?

Hi, I'm a new guy here. I'm definitely not trying to stir the pot, but maybe a new set of eyes can give a fresh perspective. The amount of forums is absolutely daunting. I don't think a site with this little traffic warrants this much micro-management. I just tried to post some photos from the last group ride, but had a mini anxiety attack trying to decide which forum to post in.

- Separate bike manufacturer forums. Some of them have 0 posts from 2016. I don't think anyone around here would mind reading news about other make's. Wouldn't the point of sub categories in this aspect be useful with too much traffic and trying to avoid clutter from anyone but the brand you're interested in?

- "BC Adventure Bike Section." Why is this 3 forums?

- Regional Forums. Besides the South Coast, all the forums have less than a handful of posts for the whole year.

Much love!
    Matthew Do | CRF250L | VA7MDO

Where is the popcorn icon?!?!?

Comment

Try ADV, and report back.
      Last edited by Phoenix; 07-13-2016, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Heres your popcorn.

Comment

Well Grasshopper:

Originally posted by Do-Boy View Post
          Hi, I'm a new guy here. ....

- Separate bike manufacturer forums. Some of them have 0 posts from 2016. I don't think anyone around here would mind reading news about other make's. Wouldn't the point of sub categories in this aspect be useful with too much traffic and trying to avoid clutter from anyone but the brand you're interested in?

Could you please clarify the underlined part. I've read it several times and don't understand what the point is you are trying to make.

- "BC Adventure Bike Section." Why is this 3 forums?

If you read the part under the headers carefully you'll notice there are three separate subjects that are best kept apart from one another.

- Regional Forums. Besides the South Coast, all the forums have less than a handful of posts for the whole year.

You are correct, the other parts of the province generate fewer posts as there are fewer members but if there were to be only the ONE forum the posts those members do make would get "lost". Having "all those forums" makes it A LOT easier for those members to stay in touch and for South Coast members to find out what is happening in the outlying regions when they go exploring other parts of our great and diverse province.

Much love! Right back at ya!

Comment

If you use the "New Posts" button at the top, it will make sure you always get the latest info each time you visit.

Basically there is something for everyone here. The regional forums let you meet and arrange rides in your own areas, the multiple bike forums let you be specific to your brand and it's issues, and the events are all broken out by year. Depending on how you have the skin setup, you can collapse and expand the forums you want to see. For example, I have all non-current year event forums collapse, but if some meatball chooses to bring back a thread from 4 years ago, I will see the post through the "new Posts" button.

Or it could be that Tom's sandbox has evolved into more of a hamster maze throughout the years as he has tried to cater to what the people want!

I do agree with Phoenix, ADV rider has even more forums and you can get stuck in a downward spiral of the Toxic Britney thread pretty quickly, especially with the elusive "eclipse of the vagina" post back in 1992...
            Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Bora20 View Post

I do agree with Phoenix, ADV rider has even more forums and you can get stuck in a downward spiral of the Toxic Britney thread pretty quickly, especially with the elusive "eclipse of the vagina" post back in 1992...
              When I'm able to ride DSBC is the go to source to meet fellow riders of a like mind, however for entertainment purposes nothing comes close to the basement on ADV. DSBC is easy enough to navigate, take your time and enjoy. Even if you happen to post something in an area not quite appropriate you will be politely directed to the most relevant forum. DSBC is the best online forum I have ever participated in, period. Thanks to Tom and all the others for their dedication.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtClunker View Post
                Where is the popcorn icon?!?!?

Comment

Wow, I just found this thread, what have I been doing?

A very good question, why are there so many forums? I ask this question many times, but get no good answers.

I have tried to convince others on this site that we need to have a purge, time to kill off or archive some of the really dead or inactive forums, and perhaps merge some. Only problem, no one wants to take on this challenge. Remember, no one gets paid here.

Once you get into something like reworking this site, the task very quickly becomes daunting. We have many updates and changes to do and the problem is where do we start?

Now that the weather has turned, I will try and give this much more thought. Finding volunteers will be the biggest problem
                  Tom Timmerman
                  Past President DSBC

Comment

Considering its all volunteers, plus there is a "new posts" button, I dont see a big need to clean it up if you have better things to do (like ride or rebuild a bike).

Comment

While a few less sections would be nice, I doubt anyone will be terribly upset if you post something in the wrong section.
                      If a moderator wants it moved they can do so as well.
                      Why can't tires last forever...

Comment

Hey Flyman, are you trying to answer on all the 60 forums tonight?

Comment

Working...
                        X