No announcement yet.

Maple Ridge to Prince George on gravel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple Ridge to Prince George on gravel?

Anyone know if you can get from Maple Ridge to Prince George on (mostly) gravel roads? Anyone have any GPS tracks?

I have the backroad mapbook gps maps but can't seem to get it to route on dirt (is there something I'm missing??)

Thanks guys,

Steve

This will get you there: http://softwave.com/bc2ak/route_jun22.html I don't think the GPS track link is there any more..

Comment

Originally posted by sgoyette View Post
      Anyone know if you can get from Maple Ridge to Prince George on (mostly) gravel roads? Anyone have any GPS tracks?

I have the backroad mapbook gps maps but can't seem to get it to route on dirt (is there something I'm missing??)

Thanks guys,

Steve
      Nope. The Backroads Mapbook will only allow you to plot routes on well established, major FSRs. When you can't plot your way with a route you have to use the "track" option. Routes rely on following roads plotted on the map embedded in your GPS device. If there's any discrepancy between the map you plotted your route on and the map embedded in your GPS device you will get plotting errors - and they can be major mistakes. Tracks are nothing more than a series of GPS coordinates connected by straight lines. You don't even need a map embedded in your GPS device to have the track show up on the device screen. The track shown on the device screen will always be an accurate copy of your original plot. I always use the track option when plotting a new ride from the Backroads Mapbook. Naturally, the more points you use to plot your track the more accurate it will be. The trick is to use lots of points close together when the road is twisty and has lots of intersections. When it straightens out and the intersections are few and far between you can use less points farther apart. Basically I use routes for street rides on asphalt and tracks for unpaved roads.

John
      A motorcycle will go anywhere the rider has the ability to take it.

Comment

Originally posted by sgoyette View Post

Thanks guys,

Steve
        I went a few years ago as far North as Quesnel. We were on pavement (Hwy 7) until Harrison Lake, North end of Lillooet Lake to D'Arcy, 10km of Hwy 20 from Riske Creek toward Williams Lake, then a stretch on the West side of the Fraser river into Quesnel. Last year I did FSR from Quesnel to Vanderhoof.

Comment

I went that way, sort of (Vanderhoof rather than PG) last year on this trip:
          http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...emite.1085108/
          The northbound section is on page 3. I added gpx files for each day southbound, so if you sign in you should be able to grab those files. If you’re not on advrider.com PM me and I’ll send you the files.

The route would go like this:
          Harrison west side, Highline from D’arcy to Carpenter Lk., West Pavilion to Big Bar ferry, to Gang Ranch and Farwell Canyon. Short pavement to Williams Lk for fuel, or follow FSR’s on west side of Fraser River if you don’t need fuel, then stay west of the West side road on FSR’s as much as possible til you get to Quesnel. Follow Blackwater road NW from Quesnel and then you’d use your BC Backroads maps to figure out which road to cut off on to get you to PG.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle milkbone View Post
            The route would go like this:
            Harrison west side, Highline from D’arcy to Carpenter Lk., West Pavilion to Big Bar ferry, to Gang Ranch and Farwell Canyon. Short pavement to Williams Lk for fuel, or follow FSR’s on west side of Fraser River if you don’t need fuel, then stay west of the West side road on FSR’s as much as possible til you get to Quesnel. Follow Blackwater road NW from Quesnel and then you’d use your BC Backroads maps to figure out which road to cut off on to get you to PG.
            Just read through this. Very cool!

Comment

Working...
            X