Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bridge River Glacier, any one rode to it....?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge River Glacier, any one rode to it....?

Looking for intel for a ride up that way possibly this summer.

Based on Google Earth it looks like you can ride to about 5km of the glacier then you have to hike the rest.

Any intel would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes you are correct. Lillooet to Goldbridge, turn right halfway up the first hill on the Hurley River road out of Goldbridge onto Downton main road follow the road to Bridge river and start hiking. But if they are logging there they probably wont appreciate you riding in there. It wont be a easy hike.

Comment

I've been across from the bridge glacier to the lord pass and over to taseko lake about 10 years ago, 4 days.
      I've also been to the end of the road of the (north) bridge river where yer in view of the Sham hill cone, one of the bridge river volcanic cones. Someday i would like to hike in from ther to the Sham hill cone, at least one full day I think.
      I think that if the bridge river can be forded, at the confluence of the main and the north arm then you could hike into the Bridge glacier, I would guess that would a big day too. I'm keen later this summer...lemmeknow.
      Oh ya, thier is a power project along downton lake that may throw a spanner in the works, if the road is closed fer that.

I got some pictures...when i get back home i'll dig them out.

Comment

Hey folks thank you.

Got some intel. Looks like the spring was tough on the Bridge river FSR,lots of debris slides on the road, Forestry is in no hurry to clean the up. Should be a single track through them by mid summer. Backroads book says the bridge is out half way up Doughton lake as well. No fuel at Gold Bridge this year, but Brailorne will have some. Hoping to talk to the power company about access, we'll see.

thanks again!

Comment

I am working in the Bridge River Valley as well as 50 km North of Tyaughton Lake. Do you have a specific question??? During the last long weekend all roads, Hurley, Seton HighLine, Bridge River, Yalakom Valley River Road were open.
          North West of Tyaughton Eldorado Mtn on the map roads are pretty hairy. There is no logging at present (Eldorado Mtn. Area) so roads are hit and miss. If you can send UTM coordinates I can probably tell you road condition.
          In hard rain it is very common for the Bridge River road to wash out so plan at least one alternate out of the Carpenter Lake Area.

hibberd9@aol.com

Comment

Hey there Vortexman, thanks!

I wanted to clarify how far we can ride up the Bridge River FSR. The Backroads Book says the bridge is out at McParlon (sp?) Creek and also a gate.

We also will have a back up plan to may be head up the Yalakum and Poison MTN and Mud Lakes area and/or the Seton/Darcy area.

One of our riders has a contact with the IPP so we should get some local intel shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by scharfg View Post
              Hey there Vortexman, thanks!

I wanted to clarify how far we can ride up the Bridge River FSR. The Backroads Book says the bridge is out at McParlon (sp?) Creek and also a gate.

We also will have a back up plan to may be head up the Yalakum and Poison MTN and Mud Lakes area and/or the Seton/Darcy area.

One of our riders has a contact with the IPP so we should get some local intel shortly.
              Well I'm a bit late following up from our ride. 4 of us headed out the July long weekend weather was awesome. Turns out Bralorne just ran out of gas just before we got there. We carried on up the Bridge River FSR but had to stop at the IPP installation in the road. They would build the road back if we wanted to carry on up the road but we decided to turn around and save the glacier for 2014.

We had a super alternate ride down into Seton and then over the High line road (can you say bucket list road???) and onto Mt. Currie then back to Lillooet via the Duffy Lake road. Great long weekend ride.

we are going back this July long weekend to take snother crack at it and will pack more fuel this time!

awesome riding area!!!!

Comment

I'm down for this for sure !
                Grip it, rip it and keep it rubber side down!

Comment

Originally posted by Groovy View Post
                  I'm down for this for sure !
                  Hey that's great news Groovy.

I'll send you a follow up email with more details.

Comment

Bridge River Glacier/FSR Ride - nice road but no glacier to be seen!

Originally posted by scharfg View Post
                    Hey that's great news Groovy.

I'll send you a follow up email with more details.
                    Hey Groovy we missed you on the Bridge River Glacier Ride this past long weekend....?

I'm doing up a full ride report right now with photos, but I wanted to let folks know that they can ride all the way to the end of the road on the north side of the Bridge River FSR (the mine trail).

That's the good news, the bad news is you can't see the darn glacier from the road no how, no way, there's a dang mountain in the way so we never did get to see the glacier

Its still a great ride and worth doing, there is even a comfortable camp at 38km which we stayed at on our way out. The Bridge Rive FSR is about 55km long.

We then tried to get to Key Hole Hot Springs, the road is very busy with industrial traffic for the new IPP they are building (and will be for the nest 2 years or so). We had no problem getting to the Key Hole parking lot (about 45km mark), we just had to follow one of the many rock trucks. Unfortunately it seems everyone had the same idea as the parking lot for the springs was packed with more tourists coming. We started to hike down the trail but turned around when we saw the elevation you had to climb down using ropes and we were already over heated in our riding gear and given how small the springs are versus how many people were down there we turned around and cooled off in the creek ford xing just below the parking lot, it was all good.

Anyhoos ride the Bridge River FSR for the mountain views but remember you won't see the glacier!! The first glacier we saw was riding south on the Hurley towards the Lillooet Rive FSR.

Ride safe.

Comment

Working...
                    X