Dual sporting near Lake Cowichan May 22 & 23

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual sporting near Lake Cowichan May 22 & 23

Looking to do some exploring on Monday & Tuesday after the Laketown Rock Festival. We've got a couple of 350 EXCs, lots of gas, decent amount of talent and enthusiasm to ride. What we are missing is local knowledge. Certainly capable of finding fun without it, but if anyone is planning on doing some riding and doesn't mind a couple of additional riders, please hit us up. Thanks! Lori

There are a few guys in the area. You might have better luck posting where they hang out. The FB group, Pacific Dual-Sport Riders.

Comment

Here are some tracks that might keep you busy...https://donsadventurerides.wordpress.com/Are you guys into single track, extreme single track, logging roads, fire roads, looking at waterfalls?

Comment

Thanks for the link to the various routes, DirtClunker. We're both running non-DOT tires, so want to stay off the pavement. We would like to do some singletrack, quad stuff, 4WD routes as well as FSR riding. The Terra Nova is the only riding we've done in this area. Looking for something not so extreme for this trip.

Comment

thanks for those rides on the island we will have to hit those up sometime this summer. If everyone did that more often there would be never ending rides all over the province.

Comment

he he - yeah the Terra Nova is a ton of fun. Unfortunately the loggers are up to their tricks again and some trailsw have been wiped out. Someone said Big Burma is gone (very sad). But the exciting stuff up top is still around.I would love to take you for a tour, but Sunday is my ride day. I will dig around an see what I can find. Most of the backwoods stuff is all off road, so no problem with non-plated bikes.Do you guys like to use GPS?

Comment

i am on the mainland but ride with a cpl guys and we have the island in our sites for a ride this summer, we will hit you up, and yes i use iphone for Google maps or Earth for gps of my rides

Comment

No GPS here, so it's truly going to be an adventure! I'm looking forward to riding the Terra Nova this fall, so hopefully the logging show gets wrapped up soon. Appreciate the feedback. Cheers!

Comment

Not sure if the Terra Nova will happen. The guys who put it on are getting old and tired - all the young guys are spending their trail efforts on first-to-the-finish enduros, and dont like the older timed events. Sad to see it go away, it been going on for 50 years (or maybe 75?) Long time anyways.

Comment

That sucks! The last one I rode was 2010. I've got vacation scheduled to be able to go this year, so I'll just keep thinking happy thoughts about it. My dad rode the Terra Nova several times in the 70's when Len Oricho and Turk were on the scene with VMC. Lots of crazy stories, so I had to give it a go a few times when I was old enough and good enough to do so. Legendary event!

Comment

Turk is still around and still riding. He gave a go at the Kirk hard enduro last year. He likes to ride his Beta Trials bike.
                      Last edited by DirtClunker; 05-19-2017, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I suppose another reason for the demise of the Terra Nova is that a huge portion of southern vancouver island is private lands owned by forest companies. We have to get permission to hold events on their lands, and often do not get the permission until a week before an event (even though we will apply months in advance). However there are lots and lots of trails on these lands, and lots of challenging loops and trails. One 100km+ loop in particular outside of Sooke easily compares to (and exceeds) the challenging terrain of the Terra Nova. And there is another shorter but just as "fun" loop up at Shawnigan. Some good stuff on the Malahat as well.If you are interested a couple of us would be happy to take you for a tour. It would probably have to be on a SUnday though, maybe a saturday as most of us work during the week.

Comment

Working...
                        X