What gps do you run?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gps do you run?

Thinking about getting a Trail Tech Vapor. Does anyone around the lower mainland run one ? What is the feedback on the gps part of this unit? I mostly ride at Tamahi

I am also at a loss trying to decide what GPS to run. Thought about the Trail Tech but then looked at the InReach Delorme Explorer which also works as a 2 way Satellite Communication device. I am concerned about the small screen on the Delorme and it doesn't look like you can download routes to the device. Let me know if you get the Trail Tech and how you like it. Thx

Comment

I am a fan of big screen. I also like the option for good maps. My current favorite for big screen, waterproof GPS, with good maps is the Garmin Montana. Kind of an expensive tank, but does the job well.

The smart phone stuff is getting better all the time though. It would be nice to have backroads map books on them.

Comment

I will agree with Dirtclunker the montana has a screen that you can at least see, , I have a Montana as well as the gs60 as a backup, The big screen is the way to go , get the delorm yellow model without the mapping and you will have the best of both worlds, Cheers Rick

Comment

Inreach is *NOT* very useful as a primary navigation device. It is possible to download waypoints and tracks to it, but it is pretty clunky to zoom and pan around and it does not hold map info, just breadcrumbs. I consider it be a great backup device if everything else fails, but you definitely do not want to be trying to find your way around the backroads with this unit.

I stand by my frequently stated preference for running Oruxmaps on an Android smartphone as my main navigation and tracklogging tool. The only drawback to it is that you have to remember to spend some time panning around your intended route and riding area to make sure you have maps and/or satellite images cached. But I've used it for dozens of trips with great success, including successfully navigating the Loose Screw for the last few years, as well as finding my way around Mcnutt in the dark, and lots of long xc days in and around the fraser canyon with no issues at all.

Cheers
          KF

Comment

Thanks guys! The Montana it is.

Terry

Comment

I have the Trail Tech Voyager. I like it. I have to learn to use it better though. I Also have the Garmin 62sc. I have to learn to use it better too. I like it, because I can use it paddleboarding, hiking, or motorbiking.

Comment

Originally posted by deepakvyas View Post
                I have the Trail Tech Voyager. I like it. I have to learn to use it better though. I Also have the Garmin 62sc. I have to learn to use it better too. I like it, because I can use it paddleboarding, hiking, or motorbiking.
                Oh yeah. On the voyager you can't have street names. Plus it's only black and white. No topo's either.

Comment

I run a smartphone (iPhone in my case) with PDFMaps from Avenza. http://www.avenza.com/pdf-maps The app is free. The user interface is far superior to any dedicated GPS you can buy. I carry a phone anyway when I ride, so it now does navigation as well.

I have a waterproof case bar-mounted for my iphone by Capdase. There are lots of other good ones available on Amazon and other places.

Backroad Map Books are available as geo-referenced PDF files. http://www.backroadmapbooks.org/inde...x&cPath=71_100

Buy the pages you need and download them into your phone before you go riding. You can scroll around with pinch, pan, zoom etc like any other smartphone app; drop named place markers wherever you want; record tracks as you ride; and then export the whole mess to Google Earth or GPX files when you get home.

Keeping the GPS running uses a lot of power from the battery, so I wired up a Battery Tender USB power adapter to power the phone from the bike. http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...MMYTXTG3PRJJTA

This setup might not be for everyone, but it's ideal for my needs.

Comment

Working...
                  X