Rekluse clutch on a Ktm 690 Enduro R

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rekluse clutch on a Ktm 690 Enduro R

I am thinking of putting a rekluse clutch on my 690 but love the way it currently tractors up hills just above an idle will this help or hinder its ability to climb at low rpm's? Anyone ridden a 690 with one on it?
    The more you do, the more you can do!

(I'll leave out the laundry list of why this isnt a good idea, but) Unless you want to relay solely on yer brakes, and say goodbye to engine braking - just dont.

Comment

I had a Rekluse on my Beta and I grew to hate it. Bottom line is "If it aint broke - don't fix it!"

John
      A motorcycle will go anywhere the rider has the ability to take it.

Comment

Originally posted by offworlder View Post
        (I'll leave out the laundry list of why this isnt a good idea, but) Unless you want to relay solely on yer brakes, and say goodbye to engine braking - just dont.
        You might want to try riding one of the newer rekluse models before you make that claim. I don't run one myself, but have "borrowed" a buddy's Husaberg with the exp-3 on it, and I honestly couldn't tell it had a rekluse in 2 hours of riding at mcnutt -- except that I never stalled it even once. Clutch still worked like a clutch, and engine braking worked completely normally. The only exception was if you got too heavy on the back brake on a steep loose downhill -- rather than stalling like my Husky would, the rekluse will disengage, and at that point you will not have any engine braking until you blip the throttle. But once it's re-engaged, the engine braking is completely normal.

The only real remaining downside to a rekluse (IMO) is that you cannot bump start the bike. That can be a pretty serious issue if your bike doesn't have a kickstart as a backup for a weak battery. Have had a few problems with friends riding slow technical stuff, running down the battery and then not being able to estart or bump. I actually carry a tiny set of jumper cables on my Husky now (well, enough 14ga wire to reach from one bike to another), just to be able to jumpstart the guys running rekluse. Actually came in handy on the loose screw too.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
          I am thinking of putting a rekluse clutch on my 690 but love the way it currently tractors up hills just above an idle will this help or hinder its ability to climb at low rpm's? Anyone ridden a 690 with one on it?
          I will not hinder the ability (at all) to climb hills. It will be better. I have had one on my 350 for years and love it. I would have gotten one for my 690 (when I owned a 690), but at the time they did not make one. The power delivery will be a bit softer, so puling wheelies will require a bit more snap, or a clutch dump.

Comment

Anything above idle the rekluse is engaged so the "no engine braking" claim could only be said by someone who has never had a Rekluse.
            Best thing ever invented for a motorcycle I think

Comment

It is also possible to "Bump start" a bike with a Rekluse if you just carry a 5 mm Allen Key and still have your clutch lever. I personally don't have the clutch lever at all as its better used for other things

Comment

Thanks for all the great feedback seems like I have hit on a interesting topic...
                The more you do, the more you can do!

Comment

Originally posted by Farp View Post
                  I had a Rekluse on my Beta and I grew to hate it. Bottom line is "If it aint broke - don't fix it!"

John
                  Which model and why?
                  Loud pipes suck!

Comment

On my 950SE, when climbing a hill...and it gets "hairy", I have been known to just hit the brakes, let it stall and save my arse (maybe should have gave'r more) the bike will not roll backwards.
                    Anyhoo...I like how when that happens, that ya don't have to worry about rolling back.
                    Now that is on a heavier bike, maybe a 690 not such a BIG deal.
                    Yeah they make a rear brake for the bar ..and i did think about it for a while....but I kinda like riding with a clutch.
                    My life has a superb cast, but I can't figure out the plot...

Comment

Originally posted by bkoz View Post
                      Which model and why?
                      2009 Beta 400RR. Didn't like it disconnecting when going down steep, loose surfaced hills with the engine at idle speed, didn't like not being able to bump start the bike, didn't like not being able to use the rear wheel to move the piston when checking valve clearances, didn't like not being able to use high revs for flywheel stability while feathering the clutch when plonking through really gnarly terrain. Basically I found that the advantages it offered me were not sufficient to overcome its disadvantages. Just learn how to slip your clutch and you won't need a Rekluse.

John

Comment

The rekluse 3.0 with adjustable slave fixes all of your issues mentioned Farp. The z-start pro, which I have, will not do what you list.

for me, the advantages of the rekluse outweigh the disadvantages. Seems like the majority of my riding group agrees.
                        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Bora20 View Post
                          The rekluse 3.0 with adjustable slave fixes all of your issues mentioned Farp. The z-start pro, which I have, will not do what you list.

for me, the advantages of the rekluse outweigh the disadvantages. Seems like the majority of my riding group agrees.
                          I got rid of my Rekluse about 4 years ago. I think it might have been a z-start pro but can't remember for sure. What I do know for sure is that I preferred the standard clutch to the Rekluse. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Most people prefer an automatic transmission for their car but I prefer a stick shift. What ever turns your crank I guess.

John

Comment

I think in the context of the 690 (assuming its being mostly dual-sported), the Rekluse is an edge case.

More info and discussion here:
                            http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...#post-25406220

"B/c this bike has a slipper clutch they had to do some neat stuff to get it to work, but they also include NEW fibers and high wear steel strips to add to the OEM basket so even if it is worn a little, this should renew it.
                            In general the EXP system is a lot less stressfull on the baskets than the older Z-start pro.
                            So with this kit you are not only getting an EXP Kit, but a NEW Slave and a NEW set of Fibers and steels. Great deal for anyone with some miles on there 690 and looking for a refresh. "

Comment

Originally posted by Farp View Post

John
                              Graham Jarvis doesnt like them, and he's the best enduro rider in the world that must say something. I think when you start getting a bit older though and maybe want to still ride hard without all the clutchwork etc. they are pretty awesome, i ran into an older guy with a hopped up husqvarna or something but he had all types of mods done on it (from previous owner he said). He liked it, but his aftermarket front brake line broke that day (from the shocks working up and down i think, the previous owner probably never rode it in the dirt) and he had to highway back to vancouver with no front brakes and brake fluid all over his front.. More mods more problems sometimes.

But I saw him ride it thru a road closure dugout thing that was pretty deep loose and steep and he went up the other side so slow i thought he was gonna stall or fall or something but it just crawled up for him. That dude had never ridden dirt before I bet and he was doing ok with the recluse. Everything has it's pros and cons tho, i'd want to find out what the people who dont like it have to say and why and make my decision from there. Personally I like a clutch, that basically is the bike to me. I can't imagine riding without it.

Comment

Working...
                              X