X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razor
    started a topic Rekluse clutch on a Ktm 690 Enduro R

Rekluse clutch on a Ktm 690 Enduro R

I am thinking of putting a rekluse clutch on my 690 but love the way it currently tractors up hills just above an idle will this help or hinder its ability to climb at low rpm's? Anyone ridden a 690 with one on it?

• cactusreid
    replied
    Razor,to answer your original question, I find that the rekluse really helps to tractor up hills and through the tough and bumpy stuff without constantly being concerned if you can get to the clutch in time. i have a core/exp in my 2 stroke gasgas300, and the zstart pro in my 07 525 exc. In the 300, i definately notice the difference in how the power is delivered compared to stock, as it really smooths out the snap and hit of the 2 stroke motor. Some times i miss that explosive hit coming out of corners etc, but there is still plenty, to wheelie over logs etc at will. And all my 2 smoke bush riding buddies say,I'm way faster overall with the rekluse. On my 525 4 stroke, as soon as i'm moving, you would never know there is a rekluse in the bike,until you slow down to take say a sharp uphill corner, where 3rd is to high and 2nd is to low,so you stay in 3rd and try to grunt your way around the corner,and end up flaming out half way through the corner! Just does not happen any more with the rekluse! Even the older z start pro is friggin wonderfull. I did put a left hand rear brake on both bikes, because, i figured out real fast,that sailing backwards down a hill if you do by chance stall, and going into free-wheel mode picking up speed as you go, is not near as much fun as it sounds. the LHRB is also real handy on long loose downhills,and for spinning around to go back down a hill,that you may have missed on.

Leave a comment:

• maloloboy
    replied
    I have a rekluse on my 450 EXC and have ordered one for my 690 Enduro R. The auxillary brake (clake make a far better unit than rekluse) fixes the hillstop issues. This system has gotten me through alot of situations that I would have really struggled on. It lets me focus on the manoevering side of things without having to worry about stalling out midway. Everyone has a different experience with auto clutch systems, mine have all been positive.

Leave a comment:

• DirtClunker
    replied
    On my Freeride I have the clutch version of the Clake One Light Clutch. It is awesome. Feels just like my trials bike. Perfect for doing trialsy type stuff with the freeride. A bit pricey.

Originally posted by Curse View Post

Leave a comment:

• Bora20
    replied
    I ride my 530 on the road with no clutch lever. Downshifts are a breeze. Snap the throttle, revs match, kick it down

Leave a comment:

• Curse
    replied
    I have been using my Rekluse for little over a year and like many people say they love them but there is also a large group who hate however have not ridden with one to properly evaluate.. First off on a 690 I would say no I wouldn't want one. I had chance to ride 690 on the Loose screw B route. It was 16/48 gearing setup and the clutch on it was fantastic. One or two finger use all day and bike just lugged along nice.

Now on the topic of taking off the clutch lever that's fine if you are only doing offroad but I still like to ride my 530 on the street here and there and I would go nuts not being able to use my clutch for downshifting to match rev's. Up shift no issue rekluse or reg clutch doesn't matter smooth if timed right. It is nice to have a rear brake on the handlebars. The new electric KTM with no rear brake pedal is the way to go once they can get 3-5 hrs ride time on battery I would be first in line to buy one. breakdown of pro's and cons Cons first I would say not having option to turn bike off on super steep downhill and using clutch for brake. 2 If you don't make that hillclimb you better get bike turned sideways on hill as your in N the prev note about going downhill and having no engine braking is incorrect you have normal feel of engine braking until you go to the point of idle on engine then it disengages you can give smallest blip of throttle and if engages right away or pull in clutch handle rev a small amt and release and same deal...

PRO's You still have full control of your clutch.. sliding into corners and locking up your rear without any risk of stalling is nice.. staying a higher gear in certain corners and powering thru feels great.. It is in my opinion great for riders who know the basics and can use one as a crutch to go next level of rider quicker than with standard... I personally have not had the chance to ride a trials bike but think that is the best way to learn balance clutch and feel then move on to enduro machine but I prefer a very light clutch maybe even the clake unit with clutch and rear brake on two fingers...

Leave a comment:

• DirtClunker
    replied
    Razor,

Obviously you will get all sorts of opinions. Your best bet is to evaluate it for yourself. There are three models. Z-start pro (the original), Core 2.0 and Core 3.0. The Core models have the best feel to and usablity them.

And who cares if Walker or Jarvis dont use them. Its what you like and what you want. On my bikes I have a mix of full clutch and Rekluse. Different purposes - Love em all.

Leave a comment:

• RollingCole
    replied
    Originally posted by Farp View Post
    I had a Rekluse on my Beta and I grew to hate it. Bottom line is "If it aint broke - don't fix it!"

John
    Graham Jarvis doesnt like them, and he's the best enduro rider in the world that must say something. I think when you start getting a bit older though and maybe want to still ride hard without all the clutchwork etc. they are pretty awesome, i ran into an older guy with a hopped up husqvarna or something but he had all types of mods done on it (from previous owner he said). He liked it, but his aftermarket front brake line broke that day (from the shocks working up and down i think, the previous owner probably never rode it in the dirt) and he had to highway back to vancouver with no front brakes and brake fluid all over his front.. More mods more problems sometimes.

But I saw him ride it thru a road closure dugout thing that was pretty deep loose and steep and he went up the other side so slow i thought he was gonna stall or fall or something but it just crawled up for him. That dude had never ridden dirt before I bet and he was doing ok with the recluse. Everything has it's pros and cons tho, i'd want to find out what the people who dont like it have to say and why and make my decision from there. Personally I like a clutch, that basically is the bike to me. I can't imagine riding without it.

Leave a comment:

• offworlder
    replied
    I think in the context of the 690 (assuming its being mostly dual-sported), the Rekluse is an edge case.

More info and discussion here:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...#post-25406220

"B/c this bike has a slipper clutch they had to do some neat stuff to get it to work, but they also include NEW fibers and high wear steel strips to add to the OEM basket so even if it is worn a little, this should renew it.
    In general the EXP system is a lot less stressfull on the baskets than the older Z-start pro.
    So with this kit you are not only getting an EXP Kit, but a NEW Slave and a NEW set of Fibers and steels. Great deal for anyone with some miles on there 690 and looking for a refresh. "

Leave a comment:

• Farp
    replied
    Originally posted by Bora20 View Post
    The rekluse 3.0 with adjustable slave fixes all of your issues mentioned Farp. The z-start pro, which I have, will not do what you list.

for me, the advantages of the rekluse outweigh the disadvantages. Seems like the majority of my riding group agrees.
    I got rid of my Rekluse about 4 years ago. I think it might have been a z-start pro but can't remember for sure. What I do know for sure is that I preferred the standard clutch to the Rekluse. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Most people prefer an automatic transmission for their car but I prefer a stick shift. What ever turns your crank I guess.

John

Leave a comment:

• Bora20
    replied
    The rekluse 3.0 with adjustable slave fixes all of your issues mentioned Farp. The z-start pro, which I have, will not do what you list.

for me, the advantages of the rekluse outweigh the disadvantages. Seems like the majority of my riding group agrees.

Leave a comment:

• Farp
    replied
    Originally posted by bkoz View Post
    Which model and why?
    2009 Beta 400RR. Didn't like it disconnecting when going down steep, loose surfaced hills with the engine at idle speed, didn't like not being able to bump start the bike, didn't like not being able to use the rear wheel to move the piston when checking valve clearances, didn't like not being able to use high revs for flywheel stability while feathering the clutch when plonking through really gnarly terrain. Basically I found that the advantages it offered me were not sufficient to overcome its disadvantages. Just learn how to slip your clutch and you won't need a Rekluse.

John

Leave a comment:

• joker650
    replied
    On my 950SE, when climbing a hill...and it gets "hairy", I have been known to just hit the brakes, let it stall and save my arse (maybe should have gave'r more) the bike will not roll backwards.
    Anyhoo...I like how when that happens, that ya don't have to worry about rolling back.
    Now that is on a heavier bike, maybe a 690 not such a BIG deal.
    Yeah they make a rear brake for the bar ..and i did think about it for a while....but I kinda like riding with a clutch.

Leave a comment:

• bkoz
    replied
    Originally posted by Farp View Post
    I had a Rekluse on my Beta and I grew to hate it. Bottom line is "If it aint broke - don't fix it!"

John
    Which model and why?

Leave a comment:

• Razor
    replied
    Thanks for all the great feedback seems like I have hit on a interesting topic...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X