Chain Stretch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain Stretch?

I have a three year old stock WR250R that has about 15,000 kms on it. Late last year I noticed the chain kept getting loose and i would have to do the usual process to tighten it. This year it

Chains are pre stretched (quality brands) look at your rear wheel bearings or swingarm bushings that's is what so would do

Comment

Whenever I make a post from my iphone, the last half of it always gets cut off, but posts from my computer are fine. Anyone else notice that?

Anyway, thanks Vortex man, I will look at those, but for the record, what I did also say (but was cut off)...was that I tightened the chain to spec about 5 hours of riding ago and it is now loose again and needs to be tightened. Does that still align with the thoughts on the bearings and/or bushings?

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/notes/klim/.../416157056989/

Comment

grab the back wheel and pull/push it from side to side, if no unusual movement, then a daily chain adjustment is a sure sign that you need to whip out the gold card.
          a smart man only believes half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half.

Comment

Originally posted by 04klr View Post
            grab the back wheel and pull/push it from side to side, if no unusual movement, then a daily chain adjustment is a sure sign that you need to whip out the gold card.
            X2 - Daily chain adjustment is a sure sign that your chain is simply worn-out.
            The individual links probably rattle & sit 'loose' on your rear sprocket?
            As JT notes above - do yourself a favour & replace with high quality.
            'Best practice' is to replace the sprockets (& sprocket fasteners) at the same time unless they have been replaced very recently.
            While the wheel is off, feel the bearings with your fingers to ensure they move without feeling to 'gritty', the seals are still snug around the wheel spacers / bushings and that the spacers themselves aren't badly deformed / grooved.
            Clean & regrease everything on reassembly.
            Don't forget to check your brake pads while you're in there.

YMMV

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback..clearly I have work to do and some money to spend...

Comment

Working...
              X