2006 Alcan 5000 Rally

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
I checked the site this weekend and there's only five spaces left! 4300 miles, nine nights, Kirkland Wa - Anchorage Ak

www.alcan5000.com

US$2000 per motorcycle, which includes the nine nights of accomodations (return to Vancouver is our own problem). $200 refundable deposit until Jan 1, 2006. Lot's of time to find sponsors!

Has anyone from our Forum done this (Rocke?) before or know someone who has? Colin Stenhouse (who?)from NorthVan (640 Adventure) is the only BC registrant so far.

This is a real rally guys... Anyone interested? They recommend 'buddy groups' of 2 or 3 riders.

G

imported post

imported post

I'm going to pay $2000 to ride to Alaska, one way??

NO thanks.

640in604

imported post

imported post

http://www.teammutiny.org is the dozen advrider guys including Colin (aka "Loadedagain") that just blitzed the entries. I was guessing I would have more time to talk Mrs.640 into the idea...

Reading Chris Witzgal's blog and ride report for the 02 Alcan was instrumental in getting into the dualsport thing in the first place. If I can't make it in 2006 (I'm not counting myself out yet!:?), I guess I'll be 2008 for damn sure.

This pic was my main wallpaper for a year before I bought my bike.

Nuff said. Were you thinking about it Mark?

Cheers!

Paul

ADVRIDERSMALL2.JPG

skidmark43

imported post

imported post

640in604 wrote:
Nuff said. Were you thinking about it Mark?
I find it very tempting Paul.

I have a pal with a Renault rally car that I'd like to try talking into participating; but this would be preferrable on my E900. I'll need to buy & become skilled with a gps. Etc Etc Etc. How do you begin planning for this?

I'll need to muster sponsors or do a fund raiser, at least for tires & shite. Between entry, fuel, consumables, contingencies and the 'return to Vancouver', I think I need to budget close to $5k cdn.

I hadn't realized that Colin is 'Loaded'. Seems like a decent guy, judging fom his posts. Do you know him well enough for us all to have a chat?

Very tempting Paul. Securing a spot with a refundable deposit seems like a good idea. You first!

640in604

imported post

imported post

OK, me first! I am going to be faxing in my registration (the forms are all filled out) when SWMBO gets home. She hasthe creditcard (new one, just replaced the one I lost in the Calgary snow last week:pwhoops!!).

We (Mrs 640 and I) figure that gives me 18 months to convince her ;), and for me to get some sponsorship (other than my own company). If I don't have a "roomie" I will have to pay an extra $400 USD. I am also going to be meeting with a friend of mine to connect myself with a charity to see if I can do some fund raising while I'm at it. Its a 5000km rally, I figure a $/km pledge campaign.

This would be perfect foryour E900!! Learning TSD is a snap! We can set some up for fun to practice. You don't even need a GPS for this rally, just a watch (clock) and an odometer with a resettable tripmeter. Although, I'm bringin the GPS!

I don't really know Colin (Loadedagain), I have corresponded with him a couple times about getting out for a ride. I'm sure we hook up for a beer and a chat. The teammutiny-advrider gang is pretty much certifiably insane, except for maybe 1 or 2 guys. Not saying that's bad, just saying s'all.

This all may be academic, because they already have too many bike entries so I'll probably get on the wait list or something. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. In fact, I'm going to try phoning right now.

Cheers!

ADVRIDERSMALL2.JPG

640in604

imported post

imported post

Well, I just spoke with the Rally folks and they say they will take my application but won't process the deposit until they can gaurantee my position. They currently have 36 bikes and 8? cars, and they want to see a few more cars to keep the balance. Even then, I'd prob have to wait for some withrawls.

They say they enroll about 10-15 more vehicles than they want, because in 18 months, peopleoften change their plans/circumstances and have to withdraw.

The nervous energy meter just went up 2 clicks, ahh nice adrenal gland nice :D...

Looks like NINE (9) 500-550 mile days in a row:spl:approximately...

Cheers!

Paul

ADVRIDERSMALL2.JPG

640in604

imported post

imported post

Well Mark, it looks like we're getting closer based on this exerpt from Jerry Hines written to Flanny

"Be happy to have you along in 2006, and we're about ready for a "Team Canada"if you want to tweak your fellow Advriders. Have another two riders from BC to post very soon (one is on a Ducati Elefant, and we also have a Triumph Tiger in the queue...).

Jerry"

[align=left]Hehe...[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Paul[/align]
[align=left][/align]

skidmark43

imported post

imported post

Kawabunga!

I assume that you & I are going to do the 'seat of the pants' (IVS) class with only GPS assistance rather than the class IV that allows unlimited equipment (full rally clocks etc.)?

We'll need to determine if they're offering the roll charts / route books in KM as well as Miles.

Let the training begin... Do you want to work as a team in fund raising or on your own?

BTW, if they bounce us off the list or I sell the Elefant or otherwise flake out; then my backup is a Renault 5 Turbo2...

640in604

imported post

imported post

Yes, I was planning on unassisted (not the unlimited), my stock KTM odometer is an IMO Tripmaster with a tenths adjustable Trip2 by a thumb control on my handlebar. So between that an using the GPS to track average speed, should be pretty damn fun!!

Mark, as far as fund raising goes, I'm planning on doing it as a team. I have a couple good ideas for Marketing a Team Canada, and I plan to go after a major corporate sponsorship. (If the price was right, would you consider a paint job on the Fant? Of course we would paint it back to beautiful afterwards). Remember, we are the only Canadians besides Loadedagain that are in this Rally!

There are two film crews coming along to film it for OLN, so sponsorship opportunities are very real. B'sides, ya never know till ya try!;) I'm going to get the website setup, and some promotional packages together and then go see what we can do. I'll also setup an account for donations etc...I'll keep you advised as we go along. I've just been waiting for our names to hit the list before I got too excited about planning.

I have a friend that gets very involved in fund raising for charities, so I'll be speaking with him about ways of coordinating fund raising for charity as well.

You can stand outside the PoCo liquor store with a tin cup full of pencils - a good start. Maybe get an ugly kid with a bad haircut and a limp to stand beside you. Can you play harmonica? I'll bring a herdie-gerdie and a dancing monkey. J/K.

No getting bounced, no selling the bike (unless it's to buy a KTM), and no backing out. A woman on a DRZ400 rode it last year, so there's always your backup bike. Can you image 800+ km days in the saddle on that?? Holeymoley!

ADVRIDERSMALL2.JPG

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

You guys are going to have the ride of a lifetime, wish I could go:(. I am sure that the DSBC group can do some kind of sponsorship, not sure what but we will come up with something. Once you get all the things what you need let me know and I will see what I can do. Sponsors will want to know some of your past experiences that you have, to prove your not just looking for free stuff. So a little Bio of each of you would be good. We will also start a Alcan5000 Section on the Forum

Good Luck Guys

I look forward to your adventure :hb:

Tom Timmerman

skidmark43

imported post

imported post

640in604 wrote:
my stock KTM odometer is an IMO Tripmaster with a tenths adjustable Trip2 by a thumb control on my handlebar.
If the price was right, would you consider a paint job on the Fant?
You can stand outside the PoCo liquor store with a tin cup full of pencils - a good start.
a. I have an odo on my dial that I can set back to zero by turning a knurled knob; managed best if hand is gloveless... :shock:GPS will be interesting, best not to hardwire anything to the carefully crafted Italian electrics...

b. The bike has bodywork that has... character which lends lots of cred. New paint would be a good thing.

c. How did you figure out my day job?