2006 Vancouver Motorcycle Show

JavaJude

Super Moderator
imported post

imported post

The t-shirts are in and they look fabulous! ! ! Yellow with black printing . . we are sure to stand out in the crowd.

We only have a limited number of shirts so if you're not volunteering for the show and you want a shirt let me know ASAP as I may have to get more.

Those of you that are working the show please let me know what size shirt you need so I can put the right size aside for you. You have your choice of L, XL or XXL. (Sorry Tina no small).

Spiceboy

imported post

imported post

Hi Judy, if possibleI would like to get one of these shirts XL. I don't know if I will make the show this year because of work, school and a wedding (someone elses)
Thank you.
Robert.

Rambocycle

imported post

imported post

Just back from set up

The booth looks absolutely fabulous.

Another Winner if you ask me:clap:

Hope to see you all this weekend.

TT

G

imported post

imported post

Personally, after being at the bike show today, I find it an insult for a club who's won the best booth for 2 years running to be stuck in what amounts to a public flea market in Tijhuana.

I'd be demanding the entrance fee to be refunded.

Let's also stick the MCC and BCCOM, the only groups in this province to address riders' rights in the same slummy area.

The brighter note of the show is that Honda has brought their Paris Dakar 1989 winning bike and the CRF250 that Lawrence Hacking took to a first in class on the rally in Mongolia.

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
imported post

imported post

I'm not impressed with "the tent' either, but the reality is that space is hard to find.

The alternative to the tent this year would be 'no demonstration events' and several clubs / vendors denied access to the show. Relocating to BC Place, I understand, is not an option since it's days are numbered.

Nanette (the manager of the event) is, in my opinion, doing the best she can with the resources available. I applaud her for 'creating' the space, and particularly for hosting the "Feature" events (stunt & trials demos, mini racing & childrens' test rides).

Judy and her team have certainly made the best of the situation. Again, I believe she has put together the best 'Club' booth at the show. How nice for the GVMC, PNWMA and FVDRA that they can ride her coat-tails / enjoy DSBC's cooperation.

:tup:Hundreds of volunteer hours and a wheelbarrowful of donated $$$ has gone into this.:tup:

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Dirtybill wrote:
Personally, after being at the bike show today, I find it an insult for a club who's won the best booth for 2 years running to be stuck in what amounts to a public flea market in Tijhuana.

I'd be demanding the entrance fee to be refunded.

Let's also stick the MCC and BCCOM, the only groups in this province to address riders' rights in the same slummy area.

The brighter note of the show is that Honda has brought their Paris Dakar 1989 winning bike and the CRF250 that Lawrence Hacking took to a first in class on the rally in Mongolia.

I would have to agree with you dirty this is not the best venue for us and the surrounding vendors are not the best. That said we get the booth at a deep discounted rate (about 10% of what the vendors pay) so I think if we want to move up its time we put up.

I would have to say that our booth along with the other Motorcycle related groups and business really make the tent more interesting than the big buck guys in the building. Judy and team have done a first class job and I congratulate them for a job well done:clap:

Besides I like Tijuana:ss:

TT

Summitteer

imported post

imported post

I don't know if anyone else noticed this or not, but cycle world magazine i think it was had a huge booth with absolutely nothing in it. A display like that shouldbe putin the Tijuana tent and the better displays (DSBC specifically) should be given that spot. Other than that i felt the show was quite well done.

Scott

G

imported post

imported post

Summitteer wrote:
I don't know if anyone else noticed this or not, but cycle world magazine i think it was had a huge booth with absolutely nothing in it. A display like that shouldbe putin the Tijuana tent and the better displays (DSBC specifically) should be given that spot. Other than that i felt the show was quite well done.

Scott
No one wants to hear it Summitteer.;)

As for the other comments, I NEVER said that there was anything wrong with our booth. I was referring to the location of it. Judy and the rest of the people who did over a month of prep work on this booth are to be applauded. The people who did very little or nothing because of prior committments..............well, we've seen that before.

As for the spelling of Tijuana............spell this.......Zihuatanejo. Cos that's where we'll be in a few days:ss:

It's called the "Real Mexico", not like Baja.

G

imported post

imported post

skidmark43 wrote:
I'm not impressed with "the tent' either, but the reality is that space is hard to find.

The alternative to the tent this year would be 'no demonstration events' and several clubs / vendors denied access to the show. Relocating to BC Place, I understand, is not an option since it's days are numbered.

Nanette (the manager of the event) is, in my opinion, doing the best she can with the resources available. I applaud her for 'creating' the space, and particularly for hosting the "Feature" events (stunt & trials demos, mini racing & childrens' test rides).

Judy and her team have certainly made the best of the situation. Again, I believe she has put together the best 'Club' booth at the show. How nice for the GVMC, PNWMA and FVDRA that they can ride her coat-tails / enjoy DSBC's cooperation.

:tup:Hundreds of volunteer hours and a wheelbarrowful of donated $$$ has gone into this.:tup:

Of course you know that Caps means shouting in the www world?

So what if there were no demonstration events and clubs?

It's very obvious that the manufacturers don't give a dam about clubs and local vendors. Let's get one thing straight shall we? The manufacturers have demonstrated in the past, present and from what I've seen, into the future, that they don't give a damn about motorcycling as long as they can make $$$$$ from it.

Biking fails? They allready have the resources to continue their operations to do something else. Perhaps you've heard of Honda Automotive division?? I could go on forever about the bike companies who are making real money from their other divisions but I won't bore you.

The ONLY time I've seen companies like Yamaha Canada etc come up to bat is for the Motorcycle Confederation of Canada.

The bike companies want all this space and move out local clubs and put major organizations like MCC and BCCOM in the slums of a show, then fine. You got what you wanted. And let's see who's going to speak for us when government starts putting the hammer to us.

G

imported post

imported post

It's been pointed out to me very recently:clap::hb:that the bike Dealers are probably more at fault than the manufacturers. After all, they do have Dealer meetings at least once a year and the only shop in the lower mainland that I can think of that supports local, grass roots biking is Fifth Gear in Richmond. Order parts, oil, whatever from Bill at Fifth Gear because he has done more to support grass roots racing and just plain riding than all the dealers here.

imported post

imported post

While there are some dealers who are just in the business for the money, I know a number of others that love the sport/industry. For example Western Powersports in Langley puts a lot of time and $$ into supporting various localclubs and events. Their staff are avid motorcyclists and Marq Smith (the owner) has been riding for decades. He works hard at being a part of the motorcycle community, not just a dealer to it. There are other good dealers too.

I don't workfor Western Powersports nor am I affiliated with any part of the motorcycle industry in any way other than as a recreational motorcyclist.

I also thought the dual-sport booth looked terrific and professional.Sure, location could have been better. But as Tom said if we got it for about 10%of the regular cost, then we have to realize that those who pay the full price get the better locations.I imagine if we had paid full price and were in the tent, then found out that someone who had paid only 10% of the cost got a much better location, we would be pretty annoyed. I run a small company that does conferences and tradeshows (in the occupational safety field, nothing to do with motorcycles) and I can assure you thattradeshowmanagers have a difficult job balancing all the various exhibitor demands andI thought the Motorcycle showmanagersdid a great job overall.

Just my two cents worth.

G

imported post

imported post

Sorry, but I'm not going to say anything regarding specific Dealers and their pricing practices, unless it's good.

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

The camera is here but have a problem with the card reader, I will post pictures later today.

One last comments on the DSBC booth location ;)

When I talked to the :talk:eek:rganizer about the show I was told the DSBC would get a spot no matter what. When I heard there was going to be a tent, I volunteered DSBC to take a spot there. I have completefaith in our group to take something and make the best of it. I also think that the show organisers knew we would go in and make it work. Whichwe have:clap:. After taking a tour of the show I think the tent is where the action is happening and I forone am glad we are there. Last night the main building was about 85 degrees with a humidity of a rain forest, the tent was cool and refreshing cantbeat that:dr:

TT

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

For all you that are working the show and other DSBC members and guests

DSBC has set up a no host trailer on the South parking lot.

If you need a break from the show or want to drop some of your gear you may head on down and help yourself to refreshments or food.

If you need directions or need to get in just talk to one of the people in YELLOW

TT

joker650

imported post

imported post

tomcycle wrote:
For all you that are working the show and other DSBC members and guests

DSBC has set up a no host trailer on the South parking lot.

If you need a break from the show or want to drop some of your gear you may head on down and help yourself to refreshments or food.

If you need directions or need to get in just talk to one of the people in YELLOW

TT

Way to go Tom........ur da man:tup:

I wish I could make it this year ................but I'm sure you will post lots of pictures:hf:

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

An hour and a half left to go before TRAILER TIME!!!!!!!!:hb:

What another great day at the show.

DIRTYNOOB

imported post

imported post

Andrew and i really liked the dsbc booth set up, and it was great to see some familiar faces. if you ask me , i think it was pretty crowded on the tent side of the show, it was like where all the action was. being a dualsport riders, we can pretty much handle any situation. the booth being outside directly reflects that. i say take the tent next year if the chance arises. great job you guys:clap:, ROGER

G

imported post

imported post

I still think a spot in the building would be better but that's almost old news so whatever.

I made sure I told at least 2 of the Yamaha Reps that I thought it was fantastic what Yamaha is doing this year with the Kids riding thing. If there's a great way to promote motorcycling, it's what Yamaha is doing by taking little kids out on the bikes and riding around.

I was watching a bit of this yesterday and it's not just letting the kids ride but the people involved were also showing the kids the proper way to ride by constantly telling them to keep their heads up and looking forward through the corners.

So if you have time, go over and give the Yamaha guys and gals an "atta boy/girl" or a big :tup:

P

Pirate

imported post

imported post

Got back from the show late saturday night and I enjoyed the day out as a whole very much. I was expecting more from my first Vancouver show and for a show of this size would expect it tobe nearer down town,but never the less had a good time. Crowds were a lot easier to cope with than the likes of the UK bike show or even Toronto, soI was greatful for that. I didn't think the tent area was all that bad, however if the dollars ever allow, then DSBC should definately be inside the main building. I felt thatbeing inside the tent for this kind of asetup looses a lot, however congrats to those who made the effort. Well done DSBC.........Hope I didn't frighten any of the locals. :tup: