2008 KLR 650??

VIMike

imported post

imported post

So did anyone take pictures? I've been hoping to see so other angles other than the ones we have all seen through ADVrider.

VIMike

P

Pirate

imported post

imported post

Whether the new 08KLR is a sucsess or not, the fact remains that this forum has proved how fickle the general public can be. As Churchill said, "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time ' Cries of Dakar style winning bikes from people that ride KLR's is unbelievable and as for Vstrom's,wake up and smell the coffee. Most KLR owners that I have met are $^it scared of taking their bike off a logging road, which is fine by me, but don't start bleeting about what Kawasaki should and shouldn't be manufacturing, when the very thought of loose gravel turnsmany ridersto a quivering lump of jello.And why would anyone be concerned with the new price tag if they have $30,000 to drop on a Dakar winning bike. It's funny,a while ago it was old technology, a company milking an old design, now it's, if it ain't broke don't fix it.If I wasMr Kawasaki,I would give the middle finger salute and sell up.:hb:

D

dooveman

imported post

imported post

I don't think anyone complained about the old bike. That's what the draw was. A simple DS bike that you could take anywhere, fix anywhere. Now it's more like a v-strom minus some weight and price.

In fact I know someone that is selling their v-strom for a used KLR. So he can drop it, fix it, mod it, ride it, and climb steeper grades on it.

I think the old one made a name for itself, and the new one will be a small fish in a bigger pond. Not to say I won't maybe buy a couple of pieces from it off ebay and retro fit it to my old KLR. Maybe the rear rack for one. I was thinking about the front fender but now that I know it's painted plastic I won't bother.

On a positive note I did see alot of people sitting on the 2008 KLR at the show. And they all looked like the possible new crowd they are shooting for. The people who want a cheap DL650. I think they will need to lower the seat height a little more for them though. I saw a few moms on them struggling to put both feet on the ground.

And maybe the negatives will turn out not to make that much of a diff for the typ DS rider on a fsr road like east harrison. I wonder what the new after market fairing guard will look like. And tank bag. :hr:
Brian

F

flip-flop

imported post

imported post

They look good, but I wasn't to sure about the new front shroud, think it might break and mark up much easier than the old ones. I wouldn't trade my 06 in for an 08. Did like the dash better than the old one.
For the price of a BMW I would hesitate to take it off road for a while, but thats just me, the KLR you can fix almost any where the price is reasonable and you can get add-ons galore, I think this will still attract new buyers as well as old ones.

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Not being a KLR owner I worry about commenting on this thread but...........

I have always had a soft spot for the KLR650, but now they have crossed the line.

The bike already had a cush ride, the plastic was already plenty ugly, it already had a very functional dash. It now comes in three colours, how are we going to tel which decade it was manufactured in????? And whats this MADE IN THAILAND all about??

Nope they missed the boat, Mr K should have had a meeting with our own IanB and produced the KLXxs. its not perfect but its heading in the right direction

1DSCF1626-med.JPG

I

IanB

imported post

imported post

Yep, and it saves the agony of colour choice - White,white or White !!:hb:

TLGREEN

imported post

imported post

:DI didn't like it so much. I had an 87 KLR with a Y2K kit on that could whip the 08's butt. Apparently they have upgraded the suspension though which will make all you "softy's" happy.

I just don't get all the pretty plastic. Why buy a bike if your not going to take it off road & drop it at least 20 times?

Where did you hear that BMW is making an 800? I would be interested to hear more about that. My bike is awfully heavy but I do love the power.:wi:

Attachments

• NEW BIKE.jpg
    NEW BIKE.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 0