2011 Vancouver Island ORCA RUN Discussion

Mad Max

Max, sorry you will miss out this year. We look forward to your help and antics for Orca 2012!
Thanx Buck, Sorry I was no help this year but I've obligated all my "riding-time" to The No Work Zone. It's been a lot of work and fun cutting new trail and opening up 30 - 40 year overgrown road for this event. I hope a pile of you guys and girls can make it to Parksville and ride the route with us as it is going to be a great day. G450X has really outdone himself for this event and thanx to the GENEROUS SPONSORS there will be some stellar prizes and surprises:bliss::bliss:

Hope to see you all there,

Max

Buck

I'm just figurin on the C route though, so how 'bout that? "They" say you can just double it back after lunch to avoid the slab so I'm up for that...and any other diversions (C+ stuff anywhere?)

Lookin forward to it!

Dave
www.motooverland.com

Dave (and others interested), when you finish the C loop, and still have time and energy... a good C+ option will be Section 4 of the B loop. It's called the Whoops trail. (it's in your email). Sections of it are B single track for sure so not big bike friendly.

Also, doubling back after lunch is the best choice for dirt roads.

But the main route back is a nice series of twisty country backroads with some gravel, definitely not slab. See you Friday!

Mike

Last edited:

offworlder

I'll be heading over first thing on the icebreaker (morning ferry) so I won't join you for that part. I'm just figurin on the C route though, so how 'bout that? "They" say you can just double it back after lunch to avoid the slab so I'm up for that...and any other diversions (C+ stuff anywhere?)
Did you decide what bike yer bringin?

Dave, be great riding the C route together, and doubling back to avoid tarmac sounds good. I'll be on ye ol' trusty F650GS, as much as I'd like to take the Beta (still torn leaving her behind...)

panthaka

Sorry, bad ettiquette, just trying to guage interest. Was planning on contacting local moderators . I dea just popped into my head and I acted. Again sorry...

Be happy, Chris

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
Sorry, bad ettiquette, just trying to guage interest. Was planning on contacting local moderators . I dea just popped into my head and I acted. Again sorry...

Be happy, Chris

Dont worry to much about it, I have the same problem:shoot:
See you at the Orca

TT

toowheels

Dave, be great riding the C route together, and doubling back to avoid tarmac sounds good. I'll be on ye ol' trusty F650GS, as much as I'd like to take the Beta (still torn leaving her behind...)

Cool sounds good! There are some riders coming up from the States that may join us too.

Thanks for the tips on the routing and the C+ Mike!

The new Giant Loop Diablo Tank Bag has landed! I'll have one at the event as well as most, if not all of the Giant Loop line.

Dave
www.motooverland.com

Last edited:

NWBoarder

Cool sounds good! There are some riders coming up from the States that may join us too.

Thanks for the tips on the routing and the C+ Mike!

The new Giant Loop Diablo Tank Bag has landed! I'll have one at the event as well as most, if not all of the Giant Loop line.

Dave
www.motooverland.com

Yep, that'd be me (us)! Hi Dave!
We will be on the 11 AM boat from Tsawassen (sp?) We'll save you a camping spot if we beat you there.

Looking forward to seeing the Diablo in person, sounds like a great size for DS riding for sure.

I will have the new Giant Loop Great Basin with reflective logos and Fandango with the Buckin' Roll wrapped around. Haven't tried that set up yet, this will be the perfect opportunity to test it out. Look for a blue R12GS with camo on the shrouds.

Whitney

Last edited:

Donger

One more chance! I will be doing a Nanaimo Ride early Friday morning before heading to the Orca Campground. We will pass by the Cassidy Inn at approx 8:30am if anyone wants to join in! 2 - 3hr ride as a warm-up for Orca. Did a pre-ride today and it was excellent fun! See you all soon.

Don

offworlder

One more chance! I will be doing a Nanaimo Ride early Friday morning before heading to the Orca Campground.

Dang ! I'd have loved to get in on this, but hadnt planned to be on the other side till the aft - alas....:(
I'll await (and hope for) another opportunity to ride the many trails in/around Nanaimo...

Buck

Weather forecast looks great.

Weather forecast looks great.

Friday is looking spectacular and Saturday cloudy but dry. That'll be four years of good weather for this event! :cool:

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-85_metric_e.html :clap:

It has been a very wet spring so look forward to no dust, lots of muck and cold nights if tenting.

Remember, we have extra Hoodies ($35) and T-shirts ($15) from last year for sale
plus the all new Orca Run toques (10)!

Cash sales only.

Mike

Last edited:

toowheels

Yep, that'd be me (us)! Hi Dave!
We will be on the 11 AM boat from Tsawassen (sp?) We'll save you a camping spot if we beat you there.

Looking forward to seeing the Diablo in person, sounds like a great size for DS riding for sure.

I will have the new Giant Loop Grand Canyon with reflective logos and Fandango with the Buckin' Roll wrapped around. Haven't tried that set up yet, this will be the perfect opportunity to test it out. Look for a blue R12GS with camo on the shrouds.

Whitney

Hey Whitney,

Holy Moly you have a GL Grand Canyon proto!! Awesome I can't wait to see that one! The Diablo's look great,perfect size to stay out of the way.

Wow the Orca run is almost like a bike show now with lot's of riding attached to it!

Great to hear the weather is looking good again Mike!

Lookin forward to it all!

Dave
www.motooverland.com
slightly roughed up Orange F8

Last edited: