8 Years of the Dead Zone

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
This seems like as good a time as any to announce that the Dead Zone is now Dead. Passed on, No more, Ceased to be, Expired and gone to meet his maker.

It's been a lot of fun and come a long way; originally organized on a napkin by Tom & Ted, starting from the Onion Lake campsite with less than 20 participants...

Tom, Judy & I have been the main force behind the event these past five years. It's been an honour to host this party, but we are exhausted.

As many of you are aware, the riding area has come under increased pressure regarding 'land use claims'. Trying to satisfy the demands of other user groups / governments at the eleventh hour this year was extremely stressful and sucked the fun out of it...

We all love the riding area, but at this juncture a new 'base' for the event would need to be found, since Spences Bridge is no longer viable. That leaves Lytton, Lilloette or Cache Creek - all of which pose their own challenges. This seems like a reasonable segue for us to step aside.

We've discussed this issue with many of our volunteers in recent weeks, and there doesn't appear to be anyone to carry the torch into 2011.

With our (your) support of BCORMA, hopefully the challenges facing the region will get sorted out over the next few years. After a rest I'm sure that Judy, Tom & I could get this going again.

To the DZ riders, sponsors and volunteers, please accept our sincere thanks for supporting us and our event, and for riding these trails with us. it's been a blast!

Mark Gray

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
I would like to add my thanks to all of the volunteers, riders and sponsors of the past 8 years of the Dead Zone Dual Sport. Its been a real blast and until this last year I always looked forward to the next year. Over the past 8 years we have seen the Dead Zone grow from less than 20 participants to almost 200 in 2009. This was the single biggest Dual Sport Event in BC. Seconded by the Orca DS then The Loose Screw.

Thanks

Tom Timmerman

North

My first Dead Zone was this year and I really enjoyed it, and would just like to thank every-one who made it possible.

F

franhoser

as an alternate site, can I suggest Kelowna (Bear Creek area). Not sure how viable that area is but something to consider.

cactusreid

i would also like to say that 2010 is /was my first year,but a big thks to all the organizer's and helpers is the least we can do! the 11 and 1/2 hr-land claims/ and lack of meaning full discussions-wears very thin with me in a real hurry. maybe if we locked the gate from our side,things would be different in the future?

skidmark43

as an alternate site, can I suggest Kelowna (Bear Creek area). Not sure how viable that area is but something to consider.

Maybe someone from that area would like to host a ride in 2011? It won't be us; we don't know the area and would go broke / single travelling there every weekend in an effort to put something together.

skidmark43

i would also like to say that 2010 is /was my first year,but a big thks to all the organizer's and helpers is the least we can do! the 11 and 1/2 hr-land claims/ and lack of meaning full discussions-wears very thin with me in a real hurry. maybe if we locked the gate from our side,things would be different in the future?

In my opinion, First Nations have (some) valid issues and I blame decades of federal & provincial governments for not finding common ground and resolutions.

To be clear, we're not blaming anyone or any group for the demise of this event. The three of us primarily need a break.

joker650

Sorry to hear the DZ is over, I know these rides give a guy a lot to organize.
Wingman is gunna be PISSED,he has already been talking about our trip to next year's DZ :(

edit: Yes...the ORCA will be a fer shur next year:tup:

Last edited:

04klr

the dead zone has been the magnet that dragged many dualsporters out in the first place. and the draw continues with more spinoffs each year. thanks, falls short.

thank you, very very very much, is closer, , but still not enuf.

(and to all the wingmans, ever seen an Orca?)

Matty-D

Great job carrying the torch for as long as you did! I was also a newbie this year and was thrilled to tour through a new zone. These organized events are the best way I have found to meet new people, learn some new trails, learn new skills, learn a TON about my bike, and have a lot of fun. Amazing what can be packed into one weekend!

To the organizers... thanks, and have fun being a participant over the next few years. To the rest of us... guess we should be volunteering to make sure our local events happen.

Happy trails!

Wingman

thats too bad... i was looking forward to finally bein able to ride it next year... already had it planned... oh well i hear it was a good ride and thanks for putting it on you guys. :clap:

cheers :hb:

xr8d

The Dead Zone has been the high spot in the riding season for me the last 4 years since I got back into riding off-road, and it will be missed. My sincere thanks to the organizers and volunteers for their monumental efforts in putting together such a well run event. On the up-side, now I don't have an excuse to miss next years ORCA and/or Loose Screw!!

Jon

JavaJude

Super Moderator
I joined the Dead Zone Party 5 years ago and with Mark's leadership, Tom's knowledge of the trails and the general riding area and the volunterism of our friends we had a good thing going. I enjoyed every DZ event that I was a part of and it gave me a chance to get to know members of our DSBC family.

Just because we had to end this event doesn't mean that another won't take it's place. There will always be something. Plus we have the Orca Run, The Loose Screw, the North Island Ride and every weekend at Church Mountain plus the numerous other non-titled rides that are going on all around the province.

Thank you to everyone that helped me out when I asked for a favour (you know who you are). Thanks to our fantastic sponsors, without them we would not have been able to bring you the Dead Zone. Thanks to the Spences Bridge community for hosting us and welcoming us to your community. We've made some great friends.

What's next???? . . . . . stay tuned, whatever it is it will be awesome.

-Judy-

Phoenix

An event I have had the pleasure of attending four times, mucho thanks to the dedicated organisers and vounteers :clap:. I'm already feeling nostalgic, would be cool to see some of the early pics. My fave is me having a great time on my very first Deadzone, a coupla hours before I break my collarbone. A souvenir I cherish every time I look in the mirror:p.

Cheers Phoenix.

joker650

Are there areas on the DZ route that are still open to the public?
I would still like to take Wingman up to Cornwall from the "Non Road side"......but only if it's not on private property.
This area was one of my favs:tup:

skidmark43

Are there areas on the DZ route that are still open to the public?
I would still like to take Wingman up to Cornwall from the "Non Road side"......but only if it's not on private property.
This area was one of my favs:tup:

Greg, you should have no problem riding that section.

Buckethead

It's sad to hear that it has run it's course, but thanks again Tom, Judy, and Mark for hosting such an excellent and well-run event. Well done!

sail_lots

I started the Dead Zone in 2004. Have have not missed one since, this news does bring a tear. I look forward to meeting up with all my Dead friends every year. I may have not completed every ride but always had fun. I will miss all my Dead friends.
Thankyou Tom, Ted, Mark ,Judy, John, and my riding buddy Sharon.

Roaddane

This truely is sad news. End of an era. Shame really, for DZ is DSBC's signature event imho.

I just checked my t-shirts and was along for the ride in '05 & '06. I had fun both times and learned a ton of new roads that I continue to explore. I would've done more DZ rides but the family now camps on that long weekend. Then every year I think that I'll go help mark the route on the pre-rides but I'm always working those weekends.

Big thanks go out to Tom, Mark and my old friend Judy.

Ride on friends,
Paul

eric-klr

I have attended every Dead Zone since my first one in 2005. It's become one of the highlights of my summer. I've always appreciated all the hard work that has gone into it. Big thanks to Tom, Sharon, Mark, Judy and all the other volunteers and sponsors. I made a lot of good friends and enjoyed the rides. It will be missed.

Eric