• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Any F800GS owners on here?

thumper

What do you think of the ownership experience so far?
Good?
bad?
you you buy the same again given the option?

thank you in advance

davidhowell

I've got an F650GS Dakar. Seriously love the bike. It does everything I ask it to do and then some. Would I get another one? Yup yup and yup again :)

Lone Rider

Cons-expensive service,front suspension is a little weak,Head gasket leaked at 12thousand kilometers.......pros-power,ability to fly on the highway,goes pretty well everywhere my old xt350 used to go,Decent 300 kilometer range.To be fair my dealer has promised to change the head gasket free of charge when ever i bring it in as it is still under warranty.So to answer your question i guess i would buy another.........

scudafi

Absolutely I would get another one, loving it and I've only had this one 5 weeks and already put 6300km on her..
I have the head gasket leak also, well documented issue, not to worried about, will do it with the next scheduled maintenance.
as said above 300-330 km range is pretty good.
Lots of torque, very reliable, hard to find used, very desirable bike on the used market.
Fun on the street, handles like a motard.
My brother has one also.
One other thing, with the motech guards on there they crash really well.
Stay away from all others, Motech is the way to go...

fun to watch, a little long but gets interesting at around the 3 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb0gBxOqYWI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

Bora20

Administrator
Do you want a street bike with some dirt abilities or a dirt bike with some street abilities? Very general I know, but that is how I would start the discussion?

thumper

Cons-expensive service,front suspension is a little weak,Head gasket leaked at 12thousand kilometers.......pros-power,ability to fly on the highway,goes pretty well everywhere my old xt350 used to go,Decent 300 kilometer range.To be fair my dealer has promised to change the head gasket free of charge when ever i bring it in as it is still under warranty.So to answer your question i guess i would buy another.........

That is the first HeadGasket Failure I've heard of, hopefully it is an isolated incident.

thumper

Absolutely I would get another one, loving it and I've only had this one 5 weeks and already put 6300km on her..
I have the head gasket leak also, well documented issue, not to worried about, will do it with the next scheduled maintenance.
as said above 300-330 km range is pretty good.
Lots of torque, very reliable, hard to find used, very desirable bike on the used market.
Fun on the street, handles like a motard.
My brother has one also.
One other thing, with the motech guards on there they crash really well.
Stay away from all others, Motech is the way to go...

fun to watch, a little long but gets interesting at around the 3 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb0gBxOqYWI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thank you for the info...so this HeadGasket issue! what year are the bikes effected? is it only the early ones? I'm looking at a 2010 (probably Lava Orange)

Lone Rider

Actually its quite common,check adventure riders 800gs section.Apparently they now install a newer thicker rubber gasket.

thumper

Actually its quite common,check adventure riders 800gs section.Apparently they now install a newer thicker rubber gasket.

Thank you.
If they replace it with a "thicker rubber one" it Sounds like it is the Rocker cover gasket that weeps, as opposed to the "Head Gasket".

:) thanks for the info.

toowheels

I've been very happy with mine!
It's been good to me and it goes lot's of places (some where it maybe shouldn't but it still does). Every bike has it's weaknesses so you just have to the tweaks that work for you.
There are a few in our "gang" and I think everyone's been happy with them.

It was the earlier ones that were affected. My 2010 did leak just a bit and it was changed out at 20k service anyhow with the newer one.

Fire away with any q's.

Dave
www.motooverland.com

thumper

Thanks Dave.

My Demo ride is booked for a week Saturday but I'm hoping to pull it forwards to this Friday. will keep you guys posted with my thoughts after I've ridden one.
Yes you are right, every bike (and car too) has it's weaknesses (for example my DRZ had a lot of easy mods to do to cure/prevent the foibles).

Chris

scudafi

It also pulls stranded Isuzu Troopers out of washouts.

The bike is a freakin tractor when it has to be.

Tractor.jpg Tractor2.jpg

Last edited:

toowheels

It also doubles as a snowmobile..

The snowmobile part hasn't worked out very well for me ;)

IMG_2618.jpg

Sean went up the sand hill pretty good though
IMG_7821.jpg

and we've done some swamping
Swamping.jpg

Dave
www.MotoOverland.com

OnandOff

Hello I know I haven't made many posts (I think this makes 2 :D) so I thought I would share my half season's first impression of my 2013 BMW f800gs. First off I'll start by introducing myself, I live WAY up north in Fort St. John which in my opinion has the landscape that pretty much only suits an on and off road bike. The terrain in this area is made up of thousands of Km's of dirt and gravel resource roads as a result of the oil and gas industry and thousands of km's of Alaskan highway (when it's not covered in snow). So when it came time to retire my DR650 I thought that the BMW f800gs was the bike for me!

I purchased the bike in August of 2012 after describing the local terrain and my riding style with the very helpful BMW sales person. I asked for a bike that could comfortably take me up the sometimes straight and boring Alaska highway for a few hours and then transform into a gravel road eating machine with the ability to conquer atv trails. I was presented with the VERY attractive f800gs "off road capable" bike. Now you might be thinking that I am not happy with my purchase, and that's where you'd be wrong. I love my bike, for a couple reasons one of which is if my wife heard that I wasn't happy with it after spending 17+ thousand on it I would be a dead man!

I have only three negative things to report besides the obvious, the obvious being that it and everything related to it is expensive. I mean every time I order a mod or "farkle" I have to re-mortgage my house.

1. Gear indicator: ~2500 km's in the 4, 5, and 6 gear started to disappear from the display as I rode only to re-appear a few minutes later making me consider that it was time to take a rest because I was loosing my mind. Occasionally the gear would also disappear and then re-appear displaying the incorrect gear I was currently in. Not the end of the world as the bike is under warranty but I bring your attention to the beginning of my post.... I live in Fort St. John.

2. The rubber bands they call rims (Behr Rims): ~4500 km's in I was enjoying a sunny resource road ride with my friend on his problem-free KLR650 with +40k km's. We stopped for a rest when I noticed that my rim looked "off", I examined a little closer and would you believe that the front rim was flared out about 3/4". But it didn't stop there, oh no, the back rim was flared out about 1/4". Are you kidding me!!! When I contacted the dealer they informed me that BMW will not warranty the rims, ok at this point I was getting a little ticked. The dealer said that "all they could do" was offer 15% off retail for new rims. The dealer quoted ~1100 after my "discount", long story short I order Excel rims delivered from Woody's Wheels for $700.

3. BMW Customer service.

The good:

Comfortable, styling, customization, power, balance between on and off-road (hard to accomplish).

Cheers,

The new guy

P.S. hope to make it to loose screw.