Anyone got any advice from previous years ?

Choulton

Me and a couple of buddies are planning on going to this event. We intend to drive down on Friday, try the poker run on Sat to see what the course is like, then enter the race on Sunday and drive home Sunday night.

We would appreciate any advice from previous years trips.
I notice the DSBC bus went last year but only for the Saturday, any particular reason you didn't ride on the Sunday ?

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Been doing this event for years but I am not a racer

The Saturday is the Poker Run and Dual Sport

Sunday is the race and the course is closed, no riding.

This is a must do event, the poker run gets some 2500-3000 riders. A real Zoo.

The Dual Sport covers some of the Poker run route then takes you out of the closed area and around the Odessa area, I understand they have secured more private land to ride through. We have stayed on the poker run the last few years as that loop is over 30 miles, many dual sporters may find it too challenging. If you are planning Baja the Poker Run is a must do very similar conditions.

Tom

Choulton

imported post

imported post

Thanks Tom

How much space is there for camping ? Were thinking of taking a travel trailer, but with all those people do you know if it gets packed in and noisy at night.
Is it better to stay in a local motel ?

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

No local hotels

Absolutely Packed for camping, but you have no other choice. Closest motels are about 1 hour away.

Its Busy, Dusty or Muddy, Noisy,Lots of Full Potapoties. Wouldn,t miss it for anything.

2500 poker run

200 dualsport

600 for the race

Tom

joefdirtybiker

imported post

imported post

Do it every year. Best spots are hadif you arriveThursday night or before Friday noon especially for big trailers. Don't worry about food, bike parts, or showers as the small town becomes a big town during the weekend and the locals are accommodating. I now enjoy the DS route as it runs throughnew areas the dirt only bikes can't get too and ends up atthe micro brewery. I typically run my DRZ400S but may bring my R1200GS as last year I saw a Harley on the route -a HARLEY. The whoops are big, the rocks are large, and a couple of steep hills but a HARLEY.

Tom is right as it is dusty, busy, and literally a big party. But looking forward to being there this year.

Hooligan

imported post

imported post

tomcycle wrote:
Absolutely Packed for camping, but you have no other choice. Closest motels are about 1 hour away.

Its Busy, Dusty or Muddy, Noisy,Lots of Full Potapoties. Wouldn,t miss it for anything.

Dusty,

Noisy,

Smelly,

Cold,

Did I mention Dust?

Cramped,

Loud,

In the middle of nothing,

Rocky,

Broke my arm in 2007 in this race,

Would not miss it for anything......!

Tom, I amnot takingthe 450 this yearbut ratherthe 950 on the DS ride....keep me posted, I might finallyget toride the bus.:tup:

(We might be 3 wanting to go DS)

:hb:

JavaJude

Super Moderator
imported post

imported post

Choulton wrote:
Thanks Tom

How much space is there for camping ? Were thinking of taking a travel trailer, but with all those people do you know if it gets packed in and noisy at night.
Is it better to stay in a local motel ?

I've donethe Saturday Poker Runevent for the last 3years (with tomcycle, skidmark, hawk, etc etc) and I've loved it!

The camping area is divided into 2 areas by the organizers:

• The Family Area - late night partying and those kind of shenanigans are discouraged.
  • The Party Zone - need I say more.
The camping area is soooooo huge and there are so many people and there are no trees to buffer the noise. The organizers ribbon off designated camping areas and designated roadways . . . . so there is some kind of order to the mayhem. Bring ear plugs and camp in the Family Zone.

This is a photo tomcycle put together from last year's event:

This is one of those events that you should participate in at least once. You will never be able to imagine riding with that many people unless you go and experience it for yourself.

-Judy-

joefdirtybiker

imported post

imported post

Forgot to mention that I fractured my right foot in the half way pointof the 2006 Iron Manroute byhitting a rock hidden in a sage brush.

I still finished and got my T-shirt because that is what it is really all about- right?

The T-Shirt

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
imported post

imported post

jayDRZfernan wrote:
Forgot to mention that I fractured my right foot in the half way pointof the 2006 Iron Manroute byhitting a rock hidden in a sage brush.

I still finished and got my T-shirt because that is what it is really all about- right?

The T-Shirt

Bummer.

"Hitting a rock hidden in a sage brush"?

Rookie mistake Jay. Don't you know that sage brush actually grow out of / protect the rock?

:hb:Looking forward to riding with you again this year.

Mark

joefdirtybiker

imported post

imported post

"actually grow out of / protect the rock" -- dang, I forgot that. Getting old.

I have to say I was verygrateful of spending$$$ fora set ofquality MX boots as if I had my DS boots on or a pair of hikers I can't imagine what the result would have been.

I'll likely bring my DRZ400S asit is a2000 which came with the the more street oriented forks. However, just purchased a cheap set ofWER forks which gives menot only a better forkand rebound adjustmentbutfinally I get that little air bleed screw on the top of the forks. Looking forward to riding with you BC guys.

:dr:

S

SpeedyManiac

imported post

imported post

Just a warning, the race is not for the faint of heart. Last year was my first year of the desert 100. Was running inside the top 100 before swapping out in a whooped out corner and heading over the bars face first into a sage brush. Ended up with a broken nose and concussion, but still managed to finish around 220th place.

I wouldn't recommend riding the poker run if you plan on being competitive in the race. 100 miles of whooped out desert is tough on the body and mind so it's best to be well rested for the race.

All that said, I wouldn't miss this race for the world. So much fun, especially the start!