• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Back In 1978 Motorized Recreation Task Force

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
Back in 1978 several levels of Government said they wanted to organise the Motorized Recreation Groups.

But first they had to identify what areas we used and who we where.

I have a bunch of old paperwork that came from some of these meetings and have just started reading them. I am going to post here what I find, it might be amusing, it might be sad. Feel free to comment, I would prefer to have constructive comments and real history if you have it. The general comment that the "Government is out to get us" is a given here.

List of riding areas compiled by the Motorized Recreation Task Force 1978

Richmond Dump CLOSED

Sea Island CLOSED

Vancouver Land File Site CLOSED

Stokes Gravel Pit CLOSED

Surrey Land Fill CLOSED

Green Timbers CLOSED

Surrey Gravel Pit 112 + 160th CLOSED Developed

Mary Hill Pit Private Land CLOSED Developed

Eagle Ridge (mtn) Still some access but not recognised as motorized

IOCO Hydro ROW CLOSED except to Trials Bikes

Foot of Fell Avenue N Van Private Land CLOSED Developed

Blair Rifle Range CLOSED Developed

Jackman Road Pit CLOSED

Westport Bowl West Van CLOSED Developed

Burke Mtn CLOSED

Blue Mountain OPEN to Motorcycles some Quad Trails, Blue Mountain Motorcycle Club

Chilliwack Lake CLOSED Provincial Park

Sumas Mountain CLOSED

Cypress Bowl CLOSED Ski Area all other areas closed

Indian River CLOSED? Developed

North of North Van Cemetery CLOSED

Mosquito Creek CLOSED

POCO Trail Pit River Dykes CLOSED

Livingston Dump Langley CLOSED

Aldergrove Lake CLOSED

Golden Ears CLOSED Provincial Park

Vedder Mountain OPEN to ORV undergoing changes to become a Interpretive Forest

Cultas Lake CLOSED Provincial Park

Leiumchen Creek to Tamihi Creek OPEN to ORV but was closed to motorcycles
until recently

Weaver Lake OPEN

Stave Lake OPEN but new plans for recreation are underway

BC Nickel Mine (Giant Mascot Nickel Mine) OPEN Fraser Valley Dirt Riders Association (some private land owned by Barrick Gold Corporation) Under threat of partial closure

Strawberry Island CLOSED

Upper Stave Falls Dam ?

Herrling Island CLOSED as of Sept 2014 the private land on Herrling is for sale, Unconfirmed that RSTBC has marked crown land on the island as Recreational

Some Updates 2014

Tamihi OHV Area with Staging

Chipmunk Creek with Staging

Grace Lake with Staging

Still More to come but you can see a pattern developing here

Tom

Last edited:
O

old trials guy

I actually worked on a report to the GVRD around 1979. It was a while ago but I think BCCOM was involved. Those directly involved included Brian Lowes (then with the BC Safety Council), Don Clark (importer of trials bikes, now deceased) and me. Don and I evaluated many of those areas you listed and with the help of GVRD folks put together a report, might be the one you are looking at. The report proposed developing an off road riding area somewhere in the GVRD and all the GV municipalities were in agreement, as long as it wasn't in their municipality. To my knowledge, nothing further evolved from that report.

Interesting to note that one of the sustained areas is the trials riding area in Ioco which was established in 1971 and just celebrated 40 successful years. If it were not for having an organization and people doing the legwork to build and maintain good relationships with all stakeholders it would not have succeeded. My hat is off to Tom for taking a leadership role in trying to build a sustainable off-road strategy for all BC motorcyclists through his efforts with BCORMA. Keep up the good work.

otg

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
Ron, not to hijack the thread... but

Hadn't realized you knew Brian. Great guy IMHO. He's coming out to the GVMC meeting on March 20th to do a little talk on safety issues etc. You're welcome to attend.

I actually worked on a report to the GVRD around 1979. It was a while ago but I think BCCOM was involved. Those directly involved included Brian Lowes (then with the BC Safety Council), Don Clark (importer of trials bikes, now deceased) and me. Don and I evaluated many of those areas you listed and with the help of GVRD folks put together a report, might be the one you are looking at. The report proposed developing an off road riding area somewhere in the GVRD and all the GV municipalities were in agreement, as long as it wasn't in their municipality. To my knowledge, nothing further evolved from that report.

Interesting to note that one of the sustained areas is the trials riding area in Ioco which was established in 1971 and just celebrated 40 successful years. If it were not for having an organization and people doing the legwork to build and maintain good relationships with all stakeholders it would not have succeeded. My hat is off to Tom for taking a leadership role in trying to build a sustainable off-road strategy for all BC motorcyclists through his efforts with BCORMA. Keep up the good work.

otg

tomcycle

Staff member
I just thought with the latest of OHV surveys on the rounds from the government you might find this somewhat amusing. Just go to the top and start reading the areas that have been closed

If you have anything to add please do

Tom

tomcycle

Staff member
Just thought I would bump this for some entertainment for those of you riding in areas that are being researched by the Government or others

Latest area of concern

BC Nickel Mine

gasgaskid

Update for Ioco, as of Feb 28th 2022 there will no longer be any riding in Belcarra Park for trials bikes, this was aprox 70% of the land the CPTA club ride's on. The Vancouver Parks board will not be renewing the lease when it expires.