Baja Mexico January 7-22 2005

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
November 14/04

January 2005 is the Oakland Motorcycle Clubs annual motorcycle trip to Cabo San Lucas. I have done this ride several times with my DR650, this time I plan to share the entire ride here. From the planning, what we will need, logistics of getting our bikes to San Fransisco in January and the trip reports.

Many riders have asked what it takes to make a trip like this so follow this thread and you will find out how we do it.

Remember every year we take new riders with us, the only thing we ask if you plan on riding off road in Baja, that you do some of the bigger Dual Sport Runs that are put on in our area, such as the Rougtledge Run, Poison Mountain and the Dead Zone.

So here we go :hf:

The planning for the trip starts in May and major details are decided on by November. This year we will have already paid for our accommodation in Cabo and San Diego.

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

November 16/04

So far this year we have three riders going,

Sharon Rambo (Bandit 1200S)

Peter Warmerdam (KTM Adventure 950) Peter canceled and Dave Stickland will be taking his place on a KLR650

Also we added Darren Vanderswan to the list on a KTM 640 LC4

and me Tom Timmerman (not sure what I am going to ride yet maybe DR650)

We have sent in our money for the Hotel rooms in Cabo San Lucas, $100.00 cdn for two nights right on the strip.

Here is a picture of what the courtyard looks like.

The rest of the motels/hotels we can not reserve as no telephones there.

Attachments

• Cabo3.jpg
    Cabo3.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 0

640in604

imported post

imported post

tomcycle wrote:
blah blah blah .... if you plan on riding off road in Baja, blah blah blah....

Are you riding offroad in Mexico? I'm into going if it's offroad. I thought it was a road ride this year?
ADVRIDERSMALL2.JPG

BTW - My FTP and HTTP access for the "Long Way Round" files is back up and running.

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

January 2/04

Rode the GVMC New Years Day Run yesterday, just to see if the bike (DR650)still runs out right. All the electrical heating stuff worked great, it was just above freezing and I was riding warm and comfy.

Because Baja has a lot of long sections of gravel and road, I decided to grear up the bike a bit from 15/42 to 16/41. Yesterdays ride with this gearing worked perfectly, easy cruising at 120 kms hour.

Our Itineray is as follows

January 2004

Wenesday 03:00 5/04 Leave Vancouver for a 1000 mile road trip to San Fransisco, meet up with the Oakland MC

Thursday 6 Go shopping for the stuff we forgot and prepare the bikes for riding

FRI 7 SYLMAR MOTEL 6, ROXFORD EXIT 425

Los Angeles - Sylmar , CA
I-5/Golden State Freeway at Roxford Street
12775 Encinitas Avenue
Sylmar, CA 91342

SAT 8 ENSENADA BAHIA RESORT HOTEL 275

Boulevard Costero Y Lopez Mateos, Ensenada, Mexico

SUN9 EL ROSARIO MAMA ESPINOSAS 159

LOSE ONE HOUR

MON 10 SAN IGNACIO MOTEL PAST PLAZA 307

TUES 11 LORETO HOTEL PLAZA LORETO 167

WED 12 TODOS SANTOS MOTEL GULUARTE 273

THURS 13 CABO SAN LUCAS MOTEL MAR DE CORTEZ 50

FRI 14 " " " " " "

SAT 15 LOS BARILLES HOTEL PLAYA DEL SOL 50

SUN 16 LA PAZ HOTEL PEREL 50

MON 17 MULEGE HOTEL HACIENDA 307

TUES 18 " " "

GAIN ONE HOUR

WED 19 CATAVINA HOTEL LA PINTA 316

THURS 20 ENSENADA 234

FRI 21 Somewhere in San Deigo

SAT 22Back to San Fransisco

SUN 23 Rest Day Load the Bike for the trip backto Vancouver

Our Emergency Contact

Mark Norris 510.537.5392 (Donna)

G

imported post

imported post

Forecast for Baja is snow and cold.

me jealous?

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
imported post

imported post

I hope you & Sharon (et al) have a fabulous & safe trip.

tomcycle wrote:
November 14/04... I plan to share the entire ride here. From the planning, what we will need, logistics of getting our bikes to San Fransisco in January and the trip reports...so follow this thread and you will find out how we do it.

I've been following the thread as instructed Tommie, & must complain your posts have been seriously short on detail. I know, you're busybusybusy (& I'm a pest). But upon your return, I hope that you will finish what you started. I remain curious as to how you've prepped the 1100 & the DR, what spares/tools/gear you've packed, how you've packed personals/clothes for being on the trail for +/- 13 days.

Many thanks for posting up the itinerary. I spent some time looking at maps in awe / envy. A twenty day trip such as this is something that I will likely never do.

Tom, I very much look forward to your safe return and riveting stories.

ps: the boys at SV ask that you periodically clean the air filters this trip:p

G

imported post

imported post

skidmark43 wrote:
I hope you & Sharon (et al) have a fabulous & safe trip.

tomcycle wrote:
November 14/04... I plan to share the entire ride here. From the planning, what we will need, logistics of getting our bikes to San Fransisco in January and the trip reports...so follow this thread and you will find out how we do it.

I've been following the thread as instructed Tommie, & must complain your posts have been seriously short on detail. I know, you're busybusybusy (& I'm a pest). But upon your return, I hope that you will finish what you started. I remain curious as to how you've prepped the 1100 & the DR, what spares/tools/gear you've packed, how you've packed personals/clothes for being on the trail for +/- 13 days.

Many thanks for posting up the itinerary. I spent some time looking at maps in awe / envy. A twenty day trip such as this is something that I will likely never do.

Tom, I very much look forward to your safe return and riveting stories.

ps: the boys at SV ask that you periodically clean the air filters this trip:p

Credit card and wineskin

G

imported post

imported post

And don't forget Tom, I'd like a sticker from a bar in Baja to put on my bike:hb:

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

You got it I will search out the perfect stiki

TT

640in604

imported post

imported post

No stickers, but can you Kiss Coco on the lips for me?

COCO.JPG

Enjoy your ride, wish I was there.

Adios!

Pablo.

ADVRIDERMXSMALL.jpg
ADVRIDERSMALL2.JPG

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

Thur Jan 6/05 Castro Valley, California

Hello Everyone from believe itor not Sunny Oakland California, :D

We arrived here Wed night at 5:30 pm took us 14 hours to get here. Darren drove the whole way, I slept and fed everyone Ham Sandwiches, Tom navigated. What a Team. At the border they conviscated our Bavarian Smokies at the border...good thingI didn't tell them about the pepperoni sticks we also had....:mb:

Went to the Oakland Motorcycle club meeting last night after meeting with Mark at his home. Everyone says to say hello to the Canadians and to the DualSport BC and the GVMC.

We are on our way to get tires and stuff, shopping shopping shopping (these are the boys...)

More to come on our wonderful Baja adventure!!

Sharon (Rambocycle):cool:

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

January 6/05 20:00

Just back from a great Italian dinner, only one more day of American food then its Mexican all the way.

Today we went to Cycle Gear http://www.cyclegear.com had to buy some last minute supplies, Darren decided to buy some riding pants and shirt. Never can get over the selection of Items and pricing here. anyhow while spending our hard earned Canadian Pesos, a guy came running into the store and told Darren that some just ran into his truck. Great just what we nee right now. Not much damage the rear of the box busted up because they make these things out of plastic now. We reported the hit and run to the Police and waited around for two hours then made the decision to go the the PD. To make a long story short, they didn't care gave us a report number and sent us on our way. I am happy to report that when they heard that we were traveling we did not have to wait the usual 2+ hours to get the report, they sent a cop out right away. Now we just have to deal with ICBC when we get back.

My job tonight is to buy our Mexican Motorcycle Insurance. Gotta have it if you want to travel there. I am buying the insurance for the first time on line at Sylmar in LA hopping that the weather will be past by the time we get to the coast.

Bikes are loaded and ready for a early departure 06:00 tomorrow morning

Tom T

640in604

imported post

imported post

Tom, this is what you're missing.

JAN2005_11.JPG

Went booting around tonight, on the "backup machine". Here it is parked tonight in the garage.

JAN2005_12.JPG

Keep the party going down there, sorry to hear about Darren's truck. As we all know, the adventure begins when things stop going as planned.

Ride well and keep well.

Paul

ADVRIDERSMALL2.JPG

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

Here is a sample of our new cap for the Baja Riders

1Baja1.JPG

:dr:

G

imported post

imported post

So did those Bavarian Smokies look like dynamite sticks?:talk::ted::shoot:

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

Good morning everyone

Its been some hard riding over the last few days. From San Fransisco to Ensenada was the hardest rain I have ridden in. Today we rid off road from San Ignatio to Loreto. Darren has had a few problems with his KTM, Front Tire blow out by tecate, then the rear tire delaminated yesterday now this morning he was clearing the oil window and he pushed it in. all is fixed now and we are aboutto go riding. The weather is foggy but warm and should be sunny the rest of the way. I will try and update later tonight we have about 300 miles to to today. The cervasa is cold and pletyful The helmut cam got to wet and doest work anymore.

Wish you were here

Tom T:hb:

J

Jo_lane

imported post

imported post

Darren...what happen to everything being fine? well, it comes in three. hopefully that will be the last of your problems.:D

Have fun, and ride safe.

jo