Baja Mexico January 7-22 2005

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Day One San Fransisco to Sylmar (LA) 640KMs

Well we rode in what they call a 100 year storm down here, it was wet and windy. In my 40 years of riding I have never been in such bad weather. Driving rain all the way (dont tell Ted):ted:. Took us 12 hours to ride to our Motel, had to take the 101 because the I-5 was closed.

When we got to the second gas stop I noticed Darrens rear tire low, 8 lbs. We aired up the tire to 40 lbs and would check at the next stop. It turned out when Darren changed his tire he did not check the air pressure, in the mean time the Mitas E09 has overheated and does not look good.

Road our last hour in LA rush hour traffic with pouring rain, I think everything is wet, I know I have been wet for the last 10 hours, wish we had sun:ss:

Dave finally showed up late at the Motel driving his van with the KLR on the trailer. Lucky guy .

Hope tomorrow will be better

Tom T

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

Day Two Sylmar to Ensanada Mexico 520 Kms

Got up this morning and no rain:dude:no sun either but no rain. Put the rain gear on anyhow, started raining about 10 miles.:XNot bad riding weather just rain showers on and off I have been watching Darrens back tire today, after running that low pressure yesterday the knobs are starting to peal off:spl:. Darren and I missed the turn to Tecate and added another 60 miles to our days ride. We stopped to get gas before entering Mexico and now Darrens front tire is low:?. This is not a good sign of things to come.

Finally we are in Mexico, got through Tecate and meet up with the rest of our group. Oh yea, two of the riders yesterday decided to turn back after that grueling day in the rain, that was Lindsey and his nephueJohn. They decided they would fly down to Cabo and meet us in the sun.

Dave got his truck parked in Tecate at one of the courier places, only 3 usd per day with security.

We had a quick bite to eat before going to Ensanada then the whole group left together. While passing a row of cars Darren had a front tire blow out, very exciting, but now one got hurt.

gota go now will post more tomorrow

Tom T

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

January 15/05 Saturday

Cabo To Los Barrilis 90 kms

Day ??? Not sure how long I have been gone now

I know I have missed a bunch of days, I will post later. For now though the weather is perfect and we have ridden over 900 kms of off road in two days, only got lost for two hours.

Cabo as usual is a bit of a whirlwind, losts of Tequila and Cervasa.

I will not be ridding any more off road now because Sharon had motorcycle troubles in La Paz. The bike is still there and our ride is a VW Jetta. I feel like a tourist now. The bike has been repaired and we will pick it up Monday morning.

Now for the other Canadian, Darren. He just got in about a hour ago and informed us he had a accident, minor but this will keep him on the pavement for the rest of the trip. He has a few bruises and minor road rash on his arm. The bike will need a little work when we get back. The KTM is realling looking like a Baja Bike now.

The hotel we are staying at here is on the beach and the weather is Sunny and warm:ss::dr:

Tomorrow we drive to La Paz and stay at La Perla Hotel. They have stored my DR there while the motorcycle shop fixes Sharons bike. (no charge).

To bad we cant get anymore off road riding in, I think that will be a good enough reason to come down next year

Tom T

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

SundayJanuary 16/05

Were in La Paz and its still sunny and warm, Its 5:00pm there so i suppose the show is over, Im sure it was a success. Still loading up on the cervasas. We are going to pick up Sharons bike from the shop Monday morning, we are hoping that it will run alright for the rest of the trip.

All is good down here but if that weather doesnt warm up I think Ill stay here.

TT

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

Tuesday January 18

Mulege

We left La Paz yesterday and rode here, just under 500 km, it was a slow start, Darren had another flat to get repaired. We picked up Sharons bike at motos Baja, so Daren thought he would get his tire repaired and shifter welded, it broke when he rear ended a PU in Cabo. The KTM is really looking like we shuold leave it here, its a Baja Bike now.

We did not hit the road until noon, all pavement. Because of the repairs to Sharons I had to stay with her in case of a breakdown, so I had to miss the best two days of off road riding, oh well next year.

Sunny :ss:and warm here, just lazing around today and tomorrow we ride to Catavina.:mb:

Later

TT

G

imported post

imported post

So when do we start looking for a used school bus to cart everything in???:hb:

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

Start looking now, going to have ride next January

TT:)

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
imported post

imported post

tomcycle wrote:
Because of the repairs to Sharons I had to stay with her in case of a breakdown, so I had to miss the best two days of off road riding, oh well next year.
An inspiration to us all... That's loveman. (or a get out of jail card for like a year)

G

imported post

imported post

skidmark43 wrote:
tomcycle wrote:
Because of the repairs to Sharons I had to stay with her in case of a breakdown, so I had to miss the best two days of off road riding, oh well next year.
An inspiration to us all... That's loveman. (or a get out of jail card for like a year)

How many brownie points does Tom get for that?:p

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

Dirtybill wrote:
skidmark43 wrote:
tomcycle wrote:

How many brownie points does Tom get for that?:p
Im good to go for next year, Sharon said she would fly down and meet me in Cabo next time

So get ready for a Baja 1000 ride 1st weekend in January 2006

TT

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

Here is the first photo from Baja, This is the group namely Dave, drinking durring happy happy hour ( its always happy hour in Baja)

1IMG_0078-med.JPG

G

imported post

imported post

Ha Ha Ha ha:p:p

Now remember Dave, the shifter is 1 down and 4 up!!!!!!:hb:

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

First Day in Baja

Ensenada Motel

133-med.JPG

First of many flats that Darren will have on this trip, this flat happen while passing, very exciting

130-med.JPG