Baja Trip Planning

Ando__

Heading down to the baja for 10 days of February fun in the sun. I’ve been all the way down the Baja before but was a pass through type ride on our way down south. This trip will be way more off-road oriented as I’ve got way more dirt experience and will be on my trusty klx250.

Saw the post about no wimps tour and seems like guys are willing to share there pics, stories and tales from Mexico.

So, any got any good trails? GPX files? Can’t miss things you’d be willing to share?

We’ve don’t have huge fuel range 200kms but super keen to get out there and explore. Also have the equivalent of BackRoads Mapbook ordered.

I remember battling deep sand to get out to San Fransicito, camping on a beach and eating huevos lagostino (lobster omelettes) that were caught that very morning. We saw the cook trade a couple cans of pop and chips to the fishermen (8-10 year old kids) for the lobsters/crayfish.

Needless to say pretty pumped on the trip and getting some spare parts lined up.

Thanks for any tips / ideas

Ando

Rustic

DSBC President / BCORMA Treasurer
Staff member
Ando_

Your post and my recent trip over the US border has me thinking about Baja again. My last trip was thwarted due to of all things a failed CDI, who friggin plans for that???

Anyways when we go south we cross into Tecate, Baja and leaves the trucks at secure storage for like $10 a day in Tecate, Cali. I like to skip the whole Tijuana/Ensenada area and go straight into the trails along the Sierra's. From there you can be in San Felipe on the gulf or south around Coyote Cal's on the Pacific in one not too long day.

Can you spot the bike hidden in the cactus dessert after spending hours diagnosing the CDI failure? After a few km hike I got a ride from some kind locals in the back of the farm truck on one of the roughest steepest curviest roads around, would have been a blast on the bike. I added some typical pics, San Felipe area, Baja gas station, a favorite shady rock formation.

Have a blast, I am thinking of heading south again in March lol.

Attachments

• Baja shade with view 2.jpg
    Baja shade with view 2.jpg
    802.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Spot the bike.jpg
    Spot the bike.jpg
    969.4 KB · Views: 12
  • South on the Pacific.jpg
    South on the Pacific.jpg
    928 KB · Views: 11
  • rustic pacific baja.jpg
    rustic pacific baja.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Rescued.jpg
    Rescued.jpg
    988.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Hwy south to San Filipe.jpg
    Hwy south to San Filipe.jpg
    866.5 KB · Views: 11
  • High Sierra Pine.jpg
    High Sierra Pine.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Coyote Cal's.jpg
    Coyote Cal's.jpg
    742.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Baja Gas Station.jpg
    Baja Gas Station.jpg
    794.5 KB · Views: 12

Rustic

Staff member
How much time away would you allow for that Russ?
It's a 24 hour Truck trip from here to San Diego or Tecate, Cal. I do it in two or you can team drive it in one day. You need a day to Dan Felipe and then a day San Felipe to Bahía de los Ángeles. So on dirt it's a week down and a week back.

twisted-hog

I was given these back in 2013 when I did my 1st trip. Used a couple of them.
Crossed my first time at Tecate, I stored my truck in San Diego that time and rode all the way to Cabo.

2nd time I crossed at Mexicali storied truck at friends place in Palm Desert and made it as far as Mulega.
Spent couple days at San Ignacio and rode out to do the whale watching in the Lagoon which was a major highlight petting baby Grey whales

Tecate is much nicer and easier to cross at.
You'll love it, the people are so friendly. Have fun be safe.
Getting closer for me to make another trip that way.

Attachments

• MX GPX.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 11

04klr

not feb. yet so perhaps this is still relevant, and very much Baja related. It's my first video attempt, that has received, brace yourself, well over 500 worldwide views!!
no not millions, haha

anyhow, if you've an extra few minutes of your life to waste, here ya are, a bus load of guys following tracks laid using google sat. images thx. to Rosco... baja 2011

Last edited:

Rustic

Staff member
The Monks, really? OK. Great vid, text goes away slightly too fast for these old eyes.
Can't wait to be in Baja again.

04klr

Nice legs! shame about the face!
First attempt at putting anything like that together. Yep text is way too quick in places

Ando__

not feb. yet so perhaps this is still relevant, and very much Baja related. It's my first video attempt, that has received, brace yourself, well over 500 worldwide views!!
no not millions, haha

anyhow, if you've an extra few minutes of your life to waste, here ya are, a bus load of guys following tracks laid using google sat. images thx. to Rosco... baja 2011

Think you’re up to at least 502 views now!

twisted-hog

no not millions, haha

Put together a nice video there Wayne, never get tired of watching peoples Baja clips.

Ando__

Well, two weeks out and my buddies motorcycle just got stolen. He did everything he could have done to secure his bike but they just punched out his ignition and rolled it away. Brutal timing. He’s looking into bike rentals at the moment but after having sorted out his bike over the winter, needless to say he’s right pissed