Beta introduces EFI !

offworlder

Beta introduces fuel injection, albeit only on the 350 RR, using the little known Synerject system:
http://www.enduro21.com/index.php/component/k2/item/1977-tested-–-2015-beta-350-rr

"….it’s also got a clever bypass valve that means the tuner (That’ll be the rider in most cases) can actually alter the amount of engine braking the bike has"

Beta_RR2015_EFI_DSC_2544.jpg

Bora20

Administrator
NICE! Now they have to offer street legal factory bikes in Canada and we are all set!

cactusreid

Yes they make very nice bikes! I rode a 2010 450RR (still offroad/ rum bike in bc) bike a while ago. beautiful smooth tractable motor, with plenty of punch once you got up in the rpm's. But my tastes are 2 stroke in the bush/singletrack. But if beta ever brings street legal RS models to canada, i would seriously look at one when it come time to replace my katommie 525 exc.

jimi2crank

Gnarly parts in Chilliwack sells Street legal Beta RS bikes. They don't have any left in stock but I'm sure they have some coming for the next shipment. They still had a Beta 300 RR in stock when I was last in but it was the last bike left and is a 2 stroke non-street legal.

Yes they make very nice bikes! I rode a 2010 450RR (still offroad/ rum bike in bc) bike a while ago. beautiful smooth tractable motor, with plenty of punch once you got up in the rpm's. But my tastes are 2 stroke in the bush/singletrack. But if beta ever brings street legal RS models to canada, i would seriously look at one when it come time to replace my katommie 525 exc.

Bora20

Administrator
Gnarly parts in Chilliwack sells Street legal Beta RS bikes. They don't have any left in stock but I'm sure they have some coming for the next shipment. They still had a Beta 300 RR in stock when I was last in but it was the last bike left and is a 2 stroke non-street legal.

Still a RUM bike unfortunately. Cool, but not a true Canadian street legal from the factory bike in Transport Canada's eyes.

cactusreid

Bora, i did not know that the RS's would also be a RUM bike at least in BC? I can see the stripped down RR's being Rum, but from what i've seen the RS's appear to be a full on dualsport in the USA? Apparently not so up here ? Any idea if or when that may change?

Bora20

Administrator
True, the RS is a full on street legal from the factory dual sport in the USA. Unfortunately Beta (or Beta Canada if there is one) doesn't offer this at this time.

It's expensive to get a proper Transport Canada sticker. I believe that Beta would pretty much have to give the Government 2 of each model that they want to register and then they test/wreck them. I have heard (on the internets so it must be true), that this is also a $100K+ process for each model.

Unless Beta wants to build a dealer network and go through these expensive hassles, they will stay "off-road" only in Canada. True there are street legal bikes out there, true you went to your local Beta dealer and they got it plated for you, but they are still not true factory street legal bikes in Canada. It's really too bad.

As for all the information above, it is 100% true because I typed it on the internets...

Ntl#1x4

Hi guys:

I dont know some of the parties you are speaking about so I apologize! Correct me if anything I say is not true. I do believe some of what Bora20 says is true about getting a Beta truly legal in Canada. Mouintain Motorcycle Ltd is the official Beta importer for Canada, and has been since 1984! They do have a dealer network accross Canada! I do not know the dealer you speak about in Chilliwack, but I would assume they are buying the RS models from the USA and then selling them up here. There are SOME complications with that. Im not an expert on what is legal and whats not, but, I would guess that a bike purchased in the US, that is technically not legal here may be suseptible to being seized by customs if it ever came to it, but Im not sure! anyone?

offworlder

Simply put - Mountain Moto hasn't pursued homologation for the new Betas - which is the process by which a bike may be certified - in this case as street legal (by Transport Canada), likely for the above reasons (excessive cost). While older Beta's could be plated, they weren't technically legal due to the lack of certification.
I've dealt with Mountain Moto many times, and I've received some of the best customer service I've gotten in this industry. As a small dealer, without the clout/funding from the manufacturer (Beta), its unfair to expect Mountain Moto to fund this on their own - especially as most folk want the Beta RR models vs the RS for the higher quality components/performance.

PS: Gnarly Parts (another great local shop :) is a Beta dealer via Mountain Moto.

Ntl#1x4

Thanks for clearing that up a bit more! I have was a sponsored rider for Mountain through the 80s and 90s in trials, and am proud to call them my friends since that time too!

Cultusking

Low Volume compliance is what I believe KTM use to get the EXC range street legal in North America. Once you buy your bike you must spend a bit of $$ to get it off-road ready. Gearing, tuning etc. They are built and sold as street legal bikes and are imported into Canada as a street legal bike with the necessary taxes and duties paid .
Once the quantities are too large for the low volume compliance then they will have to re-evaluate the process to keep getting them on the road.
BETA make some good bikes but I really cannot see an advantage in buying a BETA over a EXC, not only from a reliability standpoint but from the other issues like compliance, parts, untried fuel injection systems etc...... The EXC seem to hold together ok now, no more "Austrian Hand Grenades" as they were known.
Everybody wants something "different" but the "same". I think to buy something exotic you must also have the cash to back it up!

DirtClunker

By a KTM 350 EXC (rip off the smog crap and remap to xcfw) and put honda plastics on it. Then with a sharpie write Beta all over it.

:D

offworlder

I've ridden the Beta and KTM 350 back to back, and they're very similar, each having its own advantages/dis-advantages.
Having formerly owned a number of Betas - they're a great bike. But the homologation issue, lack of truck/trailer, and ever increasing "threat" to non-platable bikes caused me to make the move to 350 EXC.

caesarleigh

Buy a 2017 RR-S, they are "supposed" to be street legal. You might want to inquire on their facebook page first though, last I read they were "working" on it. There is also a thread over on Thumpertalk about this very subject in the Beta section.