Big Bar Ferry Status - 4x4 only (what does this mean?)

mroddis

Sorry if in wrong area, but have been checking the status of the Big Bar Ferry - yesterday it was closed due to high water levels, and now it says "Ferry Service is available to 4x4 vehicles only until further notice. Updated on Fri Jun 16 at 8:18 am PDT. (ID# 249530)" Does anyone know why it's limited to 4x4 only (why so specific?), and whether motorcycles are also allowed? I tried calling the phone line but only a recorded message.... Thanks all, Matthew.

mroddis

Found a phone number and spoke to a real, live person! So if anyone else is wondering, because the river is so high it deposited a bunch of sand/debris at the river's edge by the access ramp, and only a 4x4 vehicle can get through it without getting stuck. Likely will be like this to the end of the month before they can get in there and clean it all up. I asked about a motorcycle and she said 'no, it will sink'. So of course, me being on a bike designed to win the Dakar Rally with an abundance of sand.....what to do.....what to do..... m.

Shuswap

Did she know these were dirt-oriented motorcycles? Not that a 950 is really all that different from a Harley....

The silt that washes up at high water on the Fraser is like quick sand. I got instantly stuck when I tried to ride out to the Lytton ferry landing last weekend.