Bike blew up

NI230L

well on my way home from work last night my bike blew up , well not really but my crankshaft broke taking some other good stuff with it the short list includes the left side cover the big gear the start turns a little clutch thingy the flywheel and the list seems to be growing , just got the motor out now time to start spliting it and see what other damage I find . But the price quote that I got for the parts I need already makes my say R.I.P 2008 Honda 230L....... You where such a fun bike ....

NI230L

well i was riding on the road around 80km/h taking it easy as it was frosty and bang it was done lost its oil when the left side case broke open from the flywheel hitting it as for cause it seems so far that the crankshaft broke and I cant seem to find a cause for this yet the piston and head look fine and the cam chain is good and was tight before i took it apart.

Island Hopper

Sorry to hear that... The 230 was a fine machine for those tight trails... What you going to replace it with, red guys are usually afraid to go orange...

Maybe you could find a Chinese engine to replace the Brazilian original...

O

old trials guy

My guess is it will accept any Honda XR/XL/ATC 200 motor. Been in production since the first XL185 in 1979. What a shame, crank breakage was unheard of on the XR200 motor. Maybe they have pushed the expectations too far with a 230cc derived from the original SL100/125 of the early 70's.

Maybe the flywheel had backed slightly off of the crankshaft causing excessive vibration? Had the flywheel off lately? Just a wild guess.

otg

Last edited:

450x

NI230L said:
But the price quote that I got for the parts I need already makes my say R.I.P 2008 Honda 230L.......
Are you going to sell the bike as is for cheap? Or do you want to get it going again?

Shuswap

Sorry to hear about your engine troubles.....that's not something a Honda does very often. Can you enlighten us as to what may have happened, as you develop a theory?

Mad Max

Crappy thing to happen. If it would fit ...an ATC 200 motor would be great...then you could have reverse?

Hope you can find a used motor

Max

NI230L

well still not sure exactly why but it seems that the extent of the damage is all inside the left side cover does not seem to be anything wrong with the top end chain was still on and tensioned piston moves up and down smooth valves look fine so there may be hope of repairing with the chance of a big bore kit seeing as I have it torn down this far already . but for now just going to wait and see what honda has to say and go from there . used engines seem to be hard to come by for the 230l but the is a lifan Chinese import that is 250cc with a 5 speed gear box and a kick as well as e start so if I cant keep the honda going I might drop the 800 or so bucks and go for that

cactusreid

I would be very suprised if it was not a carbon copy of each other. I know that they wimped down the suspension on the l compared to the f _ not much there to start with,but visually the motors look identical.

NI230L

yeah its too bad the l and f are different seem to be alot more parts for the f than the l out there but I think I may be able to get away with just a crankshaft left side case and starter gear the cam chain was still in tact and the crankshaft broke the the left of the cam chain sprocket so I think my valves and cylinder are still good as long as I dont find any cracks anywhere I think I can fix for just under 1000 bucks but while ai have it this far apart I think a big bore kit may be in order....

Farp

yeah its too bad the l and f are different seem to be alot more parts for the f than the l out there but I think I may be able to get away with just a crankshaft left side case and starter gear the cam chain was still in tact and the crankshaft broke the the left of the cam chain sprocket so I think my valves and cylinder are still good as long as I dont find any cracks anywhere I think I can fix for just under 1000 bucks but while ai have it this far apart I think a big bore kit may be in order....

I had a CRF230L and really liked it for the single track stuff but as the trails opened up the performance deficiencies in the bike became more apparant until you hit the asphalt where it was pretty bad. I traded it in on a Beta 400RR and have never regretted that decision.

I thought about putting a big bore kit in it but after looking at the cost, and the problems associated with big bore kitted bikes running too hot (more power equals more heat but the cooling fins remain the same) I decided against it. In stock form I was always bottoming the suspension so it needed an upgrade there too, and a big bore kit would only have made that problem worse. Bottom line is all the components on a bike have to be in balance so it's never a simple thing to just upgrade one area. When I looked at the cost of putting in a big bore kit and upgrading the suspension it looked to me that it was gonna be more trouble and expense than it was worth.

The 230F and 230L would seem to be the same but they are not. The 230F is made in Brazil and the 230L is made in Japan, and there are very few parts that are interchangeable. I looked into putting the 230F suspension on my L but it wouldn't fit. About the only thing that I was able to find on the 230F that would bolt straight on to the 230L was the shift lever. The F has a hinged lever and is far superior to the L's rigid one. I'm not sure about the engine parts. I know the F has a different carb, but I don't know if the crank and lower end parts are interchangeable.

John

oldnslo

I have a lifan 250 with about 25 hrs on it and all the wiring harness etc, bought it as a spare for the kids bike but havent needed it.
let me know if you are interested

NI230L

Big news honda warranty has stepped up and given me good will warranty so just have to pay labor to get it put bakc together .. So hopefully soon I will be welcoming back the 230l . putting in a new set of ring while we are in as well so it should be nice and fresh.....