• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Bike to Hike ideas

sector

Well, based on today's date, summer weekend opportunities are dwindling, even as they are just coming along. Yikes!:( one of my favorite things to do is truely a dual sport activity... bike to hike! I would love to do a few of these. The idea is to ride a great ride up some mountain to an awesome trailhead, hike away, maybe all day, return to bike and have a fun ride back home. Some bike-to-hike rides I've done so far are.... Horeshoe Glacier, Monika Meadows, Kootenay Joe, Alps Alturas. Maybe I'll post a few pics if I can find 'em. Not sure where the snowline is right now... would love a snow report if anyone has one.

sector

As I sorta promised, a few pics from past "Bike to Hikes"...
On the way to Alps Alturas...

!st Summit on Alps Alturas

Kootenay Joe was a bit of a gnarly ride (by my standards) to get up there, but an hour hike later you get this...

Heading up to Horseshoe Glacier...

And the hike...

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
Thanks for posting, you guys prove that we arent a bunch of bandit out there riding stolen motorcycles

Spectacular pictures

T

Revnelli

Glad to see someone doing what I'd been thinking of. Closer to home I'd planned a bike to hike to Lake mountain (above Violin Lake). Not got round to it yet though.......
Looking fwd to the Monica meadows photos - it just hit my bucket list a few weeks ago.

Neil

sector

Some more eye candy... Monica Meadows...

Riding up to the trail head...

Views from the trail...

One more...

sector

So... for bike-to-hike ideas... I'm looking for both the ride and the hike to have incredible scenery. Not too hard to find in the Kootenays, I know. If anyone has any recommendations, let me know. I have a Kootenay trail book, but they didn't include anything that has too much of a long rough driving experience to get there... now those are probably the secret jewels I'm looking for... but in the meantime... Jumbo Pass... before the resort gets built (has it been started yet?), or maybe MacBeth Icefield while in the area? I'm going to dribble out some more ideas, looking for great roads that lead to great trails...

Revnelli

I'd of thought the Valhalla's would be the perfect location - looking at the backraods book .....the route up koch creek followed by the McKean lakes hike, or the Drinnon pass route from Little slocan lake to the Gwillim lakes (below Lucifer peak!!!). Oh for the time - drinnon pass has been on my bucket list for a while......

sector

Yes, I was thinking that too and was just checking out Gwillem Lake and Gimley Peak. Just found McKean Lake. Could be awesome. According to my hiking book, the trail to McKean lakes slogs straight up the mountain (not a real trail, I guess) so is challenging. The ride up looks like it could be fun.

I just did Drinnon Pass/Gwillam Lakes yesterday. Fun ride up the road and the hike was pretty easy. There's lots of snow up there right now, so bring waterproof hiking boots!

sector

I'm curious to know if anyone has been up to the Dewer Hotsprings? Or up the St Mary Creek Trail, both in the Purcell Wilderness? According to the map, going from west to east, you could ride up Crawford Bay Rd and over St Mary's Pass. Anyone been on that?

kjb

The ride up Crawford creek is over the Rose pass. It is very aldery but doable. There is no bridge on the west fork (st marys river) so crossing is best done later in the season, the river is still a month behind in level this year. Dewer is a great hike. You also pass Mortar and Pesto lake trail which goes into the St mary alpine park. Try Meadow mountain, Healy creek, the Lardeau river (alpha creek), Mt Lavina,...

sector

The ride up Crawford creek is over the Rose pass. It is very aldery but doable. There is no bridge on the west fork (st marys river) so crossing is best done later in the season, the river is still a month behind in level this year. Dewer is a great hike. You also pass Mortar and Pesto lake trail which goes into the St mary alpine park. Try Meadow mountain, Healy creek, the Lardeau river (alpha creek), Mt Lavina,...

Great advice. I've done all but Alpha Creek. Didn't hike on them, but they are all worth repeating!! I'll go look at my map to see if I can find Alpha Creek.

View of Mt Cooper from Meadow Mtn...

Comb Mtn in the background as seen from Lavina...

Healy Creek

sector

Great shot!!

Thanks, it's been a couple years since I've been up that way, but I may be heading up there this weekend. I'm a little worried about what the snow level is doing... looking up from lake level, things are starting to look pretty melted. Hope that is true!