• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Birchbank(Buckley Rd) to Hanna Creek(Hwy 3b) Loop

boundrybasher

Hey Guys/Gals.
Wondering if anyone has done this loop this summer and the kind of skill level/cycle needed for it.
Planning a gentle rambeling day trip out of Grand Forks on Sun. Oct 2 up Railbed to Castlegar and then back on old Cascade Hwy. Would like to insert this loop if possible. Any info would be appreciated. If you want to join, pm me. Cheers

Summitx

It's been a few days since your post so you may have already completed your ride. For those interested in this loop........(I've not seen the Buckley Rd sign, have to look next time) Starting at Birchbank I believe its the Sullivan creek fsr and it connects via quad track with the Neptune fsr which intersects with hwy 3b about 1 km from the hanna creek corner.

It was closed earlier this year due to logging but is open now. I rode it a couple of weeks ago and it was a nice ride. There has been a fair bit of logging going on in that area so mid week expect industrial traffic. Also the Neptune creek fsr is very dusty due to the traffic. If you haven't ridden it in a few years you may find it's changed due to logging. From Sullivan creek follow the most used quad track and you'll get through. It's in good shape and a good ride.

Last edited:

Summitx

Hey Boundrybasher, this may be another good ride for you coming from Christina. If you can find the Bulldog intersection on the kvr trail (shortly after the last tunnel north bound) it will take you out to Nancy Green lake (a good ride too). From there if you go just a short way up 3b you will see a major fsr heading north off the hwy. This is the Trident creek fsr. Head up here past Big Red Cats snowcat shop, take the first (I think) right to go up Trident creek. Great riding on an old logging road. Go to the turn around on easy riding road. You will see a steep loose track heading up from the turn around. Take this, it quickly turns into a single track which climbs to the top of the ridge. Then follow the quad track out to the Murphy creek fsr and out to 3b 4km past the strawberry pass summit. Caution the climb from Trident creek road to the ridge top is difficult single track and likely not suited to beginner riders or big bikes. That being said my partner was on a dr 650 and went through it twice this season. He is a very skilled rider. This climb was worked on this summer to make it more ridable but is still a tricky climb.

This is a great ride that goes to around 6000' and passes through a col between mt Crow and mt Neptune.

boundrybasher

Thanks Summitx. Does the quad track between Sullivan and Neptune have any harsh places? As will have a couple newbies along. Other route sounds good for another trip. Cheers

Summitx

The most difficult riding is on the Sullivan side as this road has not been used (other than bikes,quads and sleds) for a number of years. The Neptune side is all well maintained logging roads. I consider it all to be easy riding but from the old mill site on the Sullivan road to the cutblock that links to the Neptune side it's all quad track on an old road bed. An easy quad track but more difficult than a gravel road. No creek crossings but a few dried up wash outs to get through. Stay left at the intersection at the mill site then right at the next one just up the road.

Last edited:

koots_roots

great info here, been wondering about connecting sullivan and neptune, now i know. ride up trident sounds cool. do you have GPS tracks of either of these or the one that connects with sheilds on the KVR? i could map it out, but im lazy! i might be up for a ride out that way tomorrow (sat) if anyone is interested. basher, maybe see you on the KVR going in the opposite direction sunday to shut down the cabin for the season.

boundrybasher

Change of plans. Will be going other way round. Old cascade first then kvr. As there is a memorial at Farron on the KVR Sunday a.m. for Lordly Verigin. So beware Koots of a group up there.Regards