British Columbia Off Road Motorcyle Adventure Route Project

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
British Columbia Off Road Motorcyle Adventure Route Project

I am posting here for now but will start something a little more detailed if I get enough interest in this idea

As the title sez, I have been thinking about this for years and never really got the ball rolling on this. I have spoken with offical types and they all seem to think this would be a good idea. So now its time to try and work out some details.

The Rough Plan
Lets stick to the KISS theory, we dont have to reinvent the wheel. Most of the routes are ready to go, we just have to put them together.
No better group than DSBC to do this we are all over the province.

I would like the route to connect the local riding areas and small communities, when we connect the riding areas we can add more difficult section later (for the dirt bike types)

This route must be passable with a big off road adventure bike (KLR 650 BMW 650 or well outfited GS) and keep the more difficult sections for later

DSBC Lower Mainland can do the route to Somewhere East like Merritt covering the
Blue Mt Ridng area
Vetter Riding Area
Church Riding Area
Chipmunk Riding Area
and get us through Harrions East to the Onion Lake riding area
From there we can exit through to Spences Bridge or Cache Creek or Lillooet

From one of those locations can DSBC Kamloops that over?
Would like to cover the Duffy Lake riding area
Then maybe connect to Kelowna Bear Creek?

The idea here is to have each area connect and who knows the area better that those who ride it.

Where to next?

Post your ideas here

Tom

deuce

Great idea Tom. I was going to talk to the local rally car types and get some info from them about routes on the Island.

tomcycle

Staff member
I forgot about the island......silly me

Obviously we need a route, if possible, Victoria Naniamo to Comox
Powell River to Horseshoe Bay

Enter Lower mainland route

Farp

I think we need a central library of GPS tracks that people have actually ridden from areas all over the province. I've posted many of my tracks on bike.stu.ph and anybody can go to that site and download them, so that might be a resource we can use. The idea is that you could go to the library site and see a map of all the GPS tracks throughout the province, along with a brief description of each track, and then download the ones you're interested in.

The Wa/Or route is interesting but it's just a single track running north to south across both states. I think we all would rather ride a big loop so that's what I'd like to see for BC. Obviously whichever loop you choose will depend on where you live so it's important to get as many tracks logged into the library as possible. Once a maze of tracks througout the province is established people can plan their adventure routes accordingly.

John

kerunt

Awesome idea - just the kind of stuff I'm really interested in.

I'd love to see routes for both single-day and multi-day trips from the lower mainland. I know a bunch of these for street bikes, but know absolutely no off-road trails/forest roads/etc.

Are there any day-trip routes between Hope and Osoyoos? Or something similar?

Farp

Awesome idea - just the kind of stuff I'm really interested in.

I'd love to see routes for both single-day and multi-day trips from the lower mainland. I know a bunch of these for street bikes, but know absolutely no off-road trails/forest roads/etc.

Are there any day-trip routes between Hope and Osoyoos? Or something similar?

I don't have anything between Hope and Osoyoos but here are some tracks that are really interesting to ride:

http://bike.stu.ph/rides/ride.php?ride=210

http://bike.stu.ph/rides/ride.php?ride=216

http://bike.stu.ph/rides/ride.php?ride=220

http://bike.stu.ph/rides/ride.php?ride=224

Enjoy

John

Farp

Sounds like a great idea... are you thinking of a start-to-finish route that does a circuit of the province?

That could be one of the rides that comes out of this. I'm thinking that the way to do it is have a "spiders web" maze of tracks all over the province. That way people can pick and choose whichever tracks they want to ride, and create a loop which meets their specific needs.

John

tomcycle

Staff member
I think we have to keep this simple the grand idea of mutiple routes is fine but we dont have the time or money. The final routes or route we decide on should be able to encompass more in the future.

I envision a route that yuu can start anywhere and end somewhere, it probable should hook up with the Washington route (Nighthawk I think) I also think it is very important that it covers many of the smaller communities for gas, directions, food, accomidation and a little history. Keep the ideas coming.
Tom

joker650

Great idea Tom.
I guess all the routs would need to be on public roads only and stay off private land/roads ?

Dorky

Kamloops is in. We just need a 'from here' , a 'to there', and a 'how hard' and we'll do the rest. We've been talking about this for a while. Joker and crew ran a good run to the Okanagan a few years ago. I have a few routes up my sleeve...
:clap:

Last edited:

Farp

I think we have to keep this simple the grand idea of mutiple routes is fine but we dont have the time or money. The final routes or route we decide on should be able to encompass more in the future.

I envision a route that yuu can start anywhere and end somewhere, it probable should hook up with the Washington route (Nighthawk I think) I also think it is very important that it covers many of the smaller communities for gas, directions, food, accomidation and a little history. Keep the ideas coming.
Tom

I think we might be talking about two different things here. I'm not trying to establish some kind of recognised route similar to the Washington Backcountry Adventure Route; that's going to take a lot of planning and discussion about where it should and shouldn't go. And when it's done all you'll have is one route through BC. If that's what you want to do then go ahead with it and I wish you every success. Sincerely, I think it'd be a good thing to do, and I'll do whatever I can to help you get it done. But I'm talking about something that's a lot more flexible and a hell of a lot easier to accomplish.

What I'm talking about is a network of routes that gives people the freedom to choose where they want to go throughout the province. And we certainly do have the time and money to do it. In fact the infrastructure for this project is already up and running - all we need to do is use it. Go to bike.stu.ph and up-load your tracks - that's all anybody needs to do. It's free and easy. When DSBCers start using this site the track data base will soon be established. Then you'll be able to pick and choose your tracks to download and you can go where ever you want. And the best thing about it is that nobody has to do anything more than upload their tracks to get it going.

John

Aquafire

Crazy thought here maybe.... but if BCORMA or DSBC wanted to raise a bit of money (who doesn't) perhaps approaching some businesses along the proposed route (cafes, B&B's, campgrounds, motels, pubs, places of interest) to be sponsors would be smart. There's money to be had in adventure tourism and business owners with good marketing sense know it.

In exchange for a small fee from 'Mary's Ice Cream Shack', she gets her business listed on the final route map, we get to take a little detour off the route for a refreshing diversion, she gets increased revenue, DSBC/BCORMA gets $$$. Thoughts?

cactusreid

great ideas guy's! i like both trains of thoughts,and if we can get enough people involved, both should be do-able. the spiderweb that you choose were/when (ie:time of year) which tracks-depending on your own time frame and ability would give riders/groups a wonderful way to put together single/weekend or multi day loops and end up back at their start point. the point to point/distance crowd could pick off of the same data base of tracks and come up with a here to way up there type of ride.In the big picture-this could help ensure our accessability rights to the backroads and trails that we all enjoy and love.Tracking and stewardship of trails and being involved in our back country seems to be a good thing.

KLRsuperRIO

This is excellent timing.

Going to devote as much time as possible to exploring dual sport routes next sumer. This will be awesome help.

:clap: