Dog Creek Gold Mine

Flash Gordon

I was checking out some areas for next years ride and came across this in the back woods West of 100 Mile House...

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/51.3...-122.4906442,32117m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

Do any of you folks that travel out that way know if the road is open too general public on dual sport bikes, and who too contact if one needs permission to access the area... Our main plan is to bike up there too take pictures of surrounding mountains in the area, and nothing too do with the gold mine...

The last info I found on line was these folks that handle the site up there !!! sonaresources, and if there is a contractor or road maintenance crew that would be looking after the road or mine site up there...

And info would be much appreciated...

Thanks from Don

Island Hopper

I have ridden a little ways up that road but turned around due to time constraints... There is good camping right down on the Fraser where Churn Creek spills in, the road is a narrow dirt/sandy path...

IMG_4675.JPG

Looking up the road from Churn Creek..

Flash Gordon

Thanks for the info Island Hopper as we can use this in our planning too ride the area when the weather turns nice !!!

I was able too find the folks that sell shares too the gold mine operations (Blackdome Gold operations by Sona Resources), but they have yet too reply to my E-Mail of gaining access to the work camp site up there on top of the mountain... I'll try them again too find out more info on access up there if at all possible...

Looks like a kool spot too check out from what I can see on google maps, so I'll keep everyone up-dated when I find out more info on what's happening up there...

Alberta pal Don where the top of a mountain is the bestest place on earth !!!

Baldy Fire tower out look viewing Abraham Lk looking West !!!

Last edited:

Randaroo

Beautiful area with some highlights.
The mine access is blocked by gates, they don't need any vandelism as most of the processing stuff is still in there. The road to the right as you approach the gate, about 1km back has a spur up onto a ridge line that has great views, you can see just about anything you would from Blackdome from there. About halfway from empire valley turn off, at the bottom of the draw is an easy route up into Coster(?) lake, you ride a bit of the flume works done in the 1800's that supplied water to the lone cabin creek mine works, great camp spot too.
I think too that the gate from Jotel(?) may be firmly closed but may be worth the explore, if yer not a big heavy whale of a bike I mean. That access starts from the 2600 or is it the 2800 road on yer way back towards Poison and Mud lakes area. Not exactly sure but its been in my bucket fer decades... others have done it recently and can chime in... now...

Flash Gordon

Thanks for the heads up Randaroo as it will come in handy as we continue our planning for the 9 day ride out there this summer... Dog Creek and area, Gang Ranch, and many other places too explore out there for sure !!!

Pal Don

PS: Here is a movie of the area of Harrison Hot Springs to Gang Ranch too Bella Cola that many of you will enjoy from your comfy chair with best drink in hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tneg6Y7pWAA

Last edited:

Island Hopper

Thanks for the heads up Randaroo as it will come in handy as we continue our planning for the 9 day ride out there this summer... Dog Creek and area, Gang Ranch, and many other places too explore out there for sure !!!

Pal Don

PS: Here is a movie of the area of Harrison Hot Springs to Gang Ranch too Bella Cola that many of you will enjoy from your comfy chair with best drink in hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tneg6Y7pWAA

Grizzlee does some really good camera/movie work, we bumped into him last September at Lees corner..

I threw together a video last fall from up there, a bit dragged out and not nearly as refined as Grizzlees stuff: https://youtu.be/e30W4nkFAzw

Lurkerlou

There is also a cool old WWII airstrip above Dog Creek worth looking into as well. Was up there riding through to Gang Ranch and stopped for fuel at Dog Creek and a buddy I was riding with knew of this airstrip where they would land and refuel the bombers. So we went up and found it and did some exploring. Throw it on the list of things to see in the area and I can vouch for the camping at the edge of Churn creek it was a great spot to spend the night.

Just watched the whole video you posted the link to , brings back a lot of memories.

Last edited:

04klr

here's a pic. of my former work truck just past the Empire Valley ranch which is just past the end of that track on google that was sent in the first post. Yes my job sucked as I was forced to drive through out most of BC and it's backroads, just to get to work, certainly not a bummer.

P1000297.JPG

DirtClunker

God I love that country. I am curious how much of it is private land (e.g. belonging to the gang ranch)? Can we still ride on the roads, and old roads? Is permission required first?