Doohickey & other Mtce

Kitimat KLR

So, finally, all the goodies arrived in the mail. I think I got something from nearly each supplier.

1) Doohickey. Used Marknet documents & Eagle Mike parts. No problems at all. The hardest part was installing the torsion spring around the new Doohickey. When I got to see the OE Doo & spring...the spring is broken and slowly being ground by the chain. The Doo is not sitting squarely on the shaft - the top is eroded by the starter ring - which had corresponding grooves on the back.

I now have a spare angled wrench, rotor puller bolt and gaskets (2). I managed to tease off the original gaskets, clean them up& reuse (so far no leaks)

2) Swing Arm & Suspension. Removed all bolts & seals. removed 5lbs of chain oil gunge. FAirly straightforward, some of the long bolts needed some "help" but most came out fine. Added grease to theneedle bearings, cleaned the seals and greased the bolts & reassembled

3) New Sprockets & Chain . Again fairly straightforward. I also replaced the damper rubber that lives in the rear hub.

4) Test Ride - Started first click! The bike is now unbelievably quiet and pretty smooth. Unfortunately, I set the shift lever a little too high... otherwise almost perfect.

The "hook" of the spring has broken off. Note the angle of the Doo on the shaft & the erosion caused by the Starter Ring (on top of the Doo)

ktmken

imported post

imported post

Nice job and good pictures. It is amazing how many of the KLR's have broken springs.

KTMKen

klrnorth

imported post

imported post

Sweet. Nice job, and nice and clean inside that engine by the looks of it as well. So when are we riding again??

Kitimat KLR

imported post

imported post

Thanks for the comments - all looked clean good inside. Click the pics for a few more. As you probably know there are several good websites showing details of these ESSENTIAL maintenance items. As I said its not a "How to.."

I've got some experience pulling this bike apart so if we ever have a "Tech Day" let me know. I've also got the Doo tools and some other stuff.

:ted:Lesson: Do the Doo, check your valves & shims, chain, sprockets, swingarm/suspension lube, ....and keep it clean...no excuse for a dirty bike but plenty of reasons to get it dirty!

I did some road runs today (Lava Beds)to "test"the bike and it is SWEEEET. Only problem is the new frontbrakepads seem to be binding (& dust everywhere) so probably give it a closer look on Sunday ...piston seemed ok when I put in the new pads (???) ...oh yes, that K270 5.10 rear tyre squeals all the time.

Next rides? ....Sunday is Honey Do Day (I had my Doo Day...) At work all week but will load up the camping gear next Saturday (18-Jul) & leave town...first stop Terrace & then decision time - N or E ? :cross:

Chuck

imported post

imported post

Thanks for the pics and write-up kitiklr! Any suggestions as to how much mileage to put on the OEM parts before "doing the do"? Perhaps a winter project for me ... or even next year? Not sure how long I'd like to let it go.

I saw you on the hwy yesterday heading north somewhere between Terrace and Rosswood, I believe. I and some work to do in New Aiyansh and was coming back to Terrace. It was a great day for that ride, I'm sure. :ss: The lake was like glass! Good scenery day, except for the haze. Who cares, though. You were ridin', not picture-takin'!!:tup:

bigmac

imported post

imported post

Just a heads up, not to criticize your work or anything, noted in 1 of your pics that you appeared to be using a torque wrench with the puller to remove the rotor. That is a no no. Can affect the accuracy of the torque wrench. A breaker bar would have been a better choice. Glad you caught the doo in time!!

Kitimat KLR

imported post

imported post

Thanks for your comment re: using Torque Wrench to "undo" things. Live & learn:shoot:. I did set it to almost max (130 ft.lb ...or whatever the correct units are...lbf.ft?). I have a 1/2" solid wrench and usuallyput a long pipe over it (as a breaker-bar) for these things... next time! Actually, the bolt came out with relatively minimal effort, and samewith the rotor puller... it didn't take "two men & a mule" as I read somewhere. Several more pics that I didn't post/upload, but you get the picture...!

Thiswas the reference I used, tons of reference material, but I'm sure you all know where to find info like this:

http://www.klr650.marknet.us/doohickey.html

Another problem is that I need a "lower range" torque wrench for low value in.lb (lbf.in) ...the "big" torque wrench was at its minimum & I effectively stripped a 8mm nutwhen replacingthe rear chain sprocket :X

I've also foundthisCONVERTUNITS program very useful (NB. I have no relationship to it)

http://joshmadison.com/software/convert-for-windows/

P.S. KLR650 May06 - I had 23,958km (14,887miles) ...but I think the Doo was dead some time ago... I would plan to do it as soon as you can. I don't think there is a specificmileage when it is more likely to occur. You should plan for a full day. As I said I have the bent wrench, rotor puller bolt and two newgaskets still sealed (if needed,you can use them & then replace/pay for) ...mmm apparently I also have torque wrench that can be used as a breaker-bar ;) ...offer is open to anyone local (Kitimat/Terrace)

Kitimat KLR

imported post

imported post

Kitimat KLR wrote:
....I have the bent wrench, rotor puller/bolt and two newgaskets still sealed (if needed,you can use them & then replace/pay for) ...offer is open to anyone local (Kitimat/Terrace)

Just a reminder to anyone "local" that wants to do the Doo. I can also come & help you drink coffee (...or something more useful like help you check the valves & other stuff - I've just finished pulling the KLR apart, again) ...don't be shy, leave message here or PM me

Steve

sparklr

imported post

imported post

I'll be taking you up on the tools offer, just don't when yet. Judging by the mild winter it better be soon.

Riding season is coming early this year! :clap:

drbike

imported post

imported post

I am in Houston and also have a set of tools, and torque wrenches if getting them from here is any better.

I had suspected my doo had broken, and sure enough when I opened the case I found about half the spring was missing. After putting in the new spring and doo the bike was way smoother and hada heck of a lot less noise.

Working on the KLR is so easy its fun, I was a total noob till I got Buster. There is so much info on the net regarding the Klr it makes it really easy to wrench on.

Regarding early riding season....you young buck you;).....dream on.....boy were we fooled last year, but I do hope your right.

Kitimat KLR

If you're stuck I still have my doo tools
What year is your KLR? I think the Doo problems are with the older models (?)

bulkley mouse

Thanks for the offer but another kind KLR owner has let me use his. My bike is an 08 with 17k on it and the doo itself was in good shape but the spring had no tension to speak of. I did replace the doo with EMs and the torsion spring. I have done plenty of work on this bike this spring and have enjoyed most of it.....except when I dropped a valve shim in the dang [email protected]@@!!! But no worries it was right in the front just behind the front cover....the doo was actually pretty easy with all the online info and I had no trouble just leaning the bike against some old tires and never had to drain the oil. Pretty happy with the bike and am looking forward to some warmer riding days...cheers [email protected]@!!

Kitimat KLR

Well done! Enjoy the rides
How did you drop the shims? ...they're huge compared to the tiny things on my current bike...yes, I had it in pieces this winter....just like I always did with the KLR. It's been up and running fantastic since early March

jurgenk

You did quite well Richard as I managed to drop one of the cam chain guide bolts down in the abyss when I adjusted my valves and had to take the cases off again... by the way, I am the "kind KLR owner" you speak of and I am not very kind.

Brad

bulkley mouse

Kind enough to loan your tools to a stranger...Thanks again Brad. The upgrade went smoothly, I will get in touch with you this week as my buddy is still hauling lumber your way and can deliver your gear when it works for you. Thanks again.

bulkley mouse

As for dropping the shims.....well your talking to a guy who managed to brake off a spark plug in his old chevy truck and then proceeded to snap off the easy out in the remainder of the plug...so I guess for some anything is possible ;) Just like the long way I guess......sometimes

jurgenk

Kind enough to loan your tools to a stranger...Thanks again Brad. The upgrade went smoothly, I will get in touch with you this week as my buddy is still hauling lumber your way and can deliver your gear when it works for you. Thanks again.

You are very welcome and I may even ride out your way and pick them up... I will wait to hear from you though.

Brad