DSBC 2013 Finacials

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
September 2013

As we are heading towards DSBCs AGM, Judy will be getting the financials prepared, I am thinking of two proposals

One, we have the agm in October November this will allow time for newcomers to get up to speed before the new year. again the meeting will be online probably with gotomeeting.

Number Two, I think we have to move to a cloud (online) accounting system, not sure which one. This will help in keeping everyone up to date of DSBCs financial status. I will continue this discussion with Judy, If any of you have any input please let me know. Post here is good.

Tom

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
Great start to a discussion, Tom.

To your points:

1 - There aren't really any 'newcomers to get up to speed'. Judy will have the list of society members (those individuals who volunteered / organized events in 2012 & held 2012 trailpasses) - but the names really aren't changing. The AGM is to review the 2012 annual activities & strategize for 2013. No - this is not a typo & illustrates the absurdity of pushing these meetings out to Q3 or Q4.

2 - Not sure we need "Cloud Based" accounting. You'll only see current financial info if the Treasurer keeps the books current (cheques, deposits, clothing, events, sponsors). At the GVMC I update the accounting program & generate reports once a month (or less often) and share with the Executive by email etc. I (mis?)interpret your request is actually to receive a current picture of finances every few months. A cloud won't magically provide this...

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
Your so funny, "strategize for 2013". I think we can all agree that 2013 is pretty much done and there is little we can do to make any changes.

When I use the term "newcomers up to speed" I refer to some of those who are part of the "inner circle" but have taken little interest in the details, but find themselves interested now. I often take it for granted everyone knows what is being discussed, when its only in my own mind. I just want to make sure everyone is on the same page of the song sheet.

"Cloud Based" is just a extension of what DSBC really is all about. There are many advantages and disadvantages to cloud based. I prefer to look at the up side of which to name a few, easy access for members to get financial information, no software to buy, no computer needed to run said software, back ups and anti virus are handled by the service company.

In the future when referring to "how things are done" at the GVMC, is exactly "how things will not be done" at DSBC. (as long as I am around) We can learn from how things have been done from the GVMC and improve on that. I would like to remind you that it was not that long ago the GVMC executive tried to ban emails amongst its members. A main reason DSBC exists is because of the GVMCs glacial speed of embracing new technologies.

Now its time to get some proposed dates for a AGM, I will start another thread so we don't get too confused

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.