DSBC Future Costs - Move to our own server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk

Administrator
Staff member
We've discussed this before but I think it is time to move DSBC to it's own Virtual Private Server.
Current cost for shared server is about $9.00/ month, cost to move to VPS would be about $40.00/month so from $108.00/ year to $480.00/year.

1. Moving to a Virtual Private Server will help eliminate lost server connections, I'm seeing 4 to 6 a day when we get them, this is not everyday but often enough to be of concern.
2. VPS should increase speed as we not sharing connections and bandwidth with others.

Exe...call the ball.
Neil

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
This is a little outside of my knowledge zone, but if it will make life better for everyone involved I say yes

Tom

JavaJude

Super Moderator
.......and I know even less than Tom about this stuff. So if it's better for the site then I think we should do it.

Dorky

I'm not sure that 6 or 8 lost DB connections a day is a lot. You guys can speak to this better than I.
If the VPS will provide a better environment then I think that the cost doesn't seem too bad. My only concern is that there is a guarantee from the provider on minimum performance. I have seen many virtual environments where even though the VM had good memory and CPU available, the host hardware was oversubscribed. The result is slowwwww...

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
First step (in my opinion): The Executive needs to know & understand the financial situation.

That means 2012 year-end with comparitive 2011; and 2013 year-to-dates.

Second step we need to have a plan for the Forum: What We Have vs. What We Want vs. What The Solutions Cost = What We Can Have.

A $300 cost increase is material for this little organization, and it means we spend less on trail tools etc., or increase revenue (more sponsors or completely restructure to a paid-membership model).

So with the above in mind, we would then clarify our goals & objectives... and allocate funding accordingly.

M

tomcycle

Staff member
Well we are still here with a slow running site and no decisions made.

Although we need to know what the financial position of DSBC is, we also need to have a smooth running site. Mark has spoke clearly that he thinks we need to get our financials completed first. Judy has already confirmed that this amount for the VS will not alter the financials of DSBC. Thats good enough for me to get the ball rolling on upgrading the site while we wait for the report. Remember DSBC has always been a online community, and now is the largest off road forum in BC. Its through this forum and site DSBC generates all its funds, sponsorship, ride notifications and rider community. Without this site there would be no DSBC. Let make sure the chicken gets fed so we can continue to get eggs.

Number one, lets get this site running properly, if that is moving to a virtual server then lets do it

Number two, let get the financials available

Number three, its time to start thinking AGM. this is the place to discuss the plan for the forum and future visions

Unless someone else has a serious objection to funding a better server situation for DSBC, I will instruct Judy to give Neil and Jeff to get working on updating DSBCs server situation.

Your silence is your consent

Tom T

JavaJude

Super Moderator
Tom, thanks for staying on top of this.

Yes we need an AGM, let's pick a date.

I can have financials ready whenever you need them. I can say that DSBC is in good shape and we can afford to do the upgrades.

tomcycle

Staff member
Thats good enough for me, so Neil and Jeff, lets get er done.

T

tomcycle

Staff member
FYI

It took almost 5 seconds to post my reply after I hit the post button, and I was thinking it was my computer

TT

Status
Not open for further replies.