DSBC / KTM 'URBAN ENDURO X' event at M/C Show

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
As some of you already know, DSBC has again committed to participating in this great event for 2009.

Many of you will recall the 'course' last year was snowy, slippery and immensely entertaining.

For 2009 we are responsible for everything 'inside the haybales'.

Tom, Ted & I have figured out the basic track layout that we want to follow, along with 5-6 unique 'features' (tests of skill / will).

Many of you have already volunteered with Judy (on the other thread) to assist with the booth. She's running the volunteer list for during show hours, and she'll allocate some volunteers to assisting with the Urban Enduro event. We can always use more help, so please PM Judy directly & she'll find something for you to do.

We need to know what sort of resources are available from DSBC members. Please consider the following:

1. We need guys with carpentry skills to be on-site during set-up Thursday and/or Friday morning. Also for tear-down Sunday night / Monday morning.
  2. We will need labourers to move haybales, firewood, etc. during set-up & tear-down.
  3. We have sourced a forkliftfor the big stuff on-site, can anyone lend us a loader (& operator)?
  4. Our biggest problem right now is hauling (bulk bins, cars, lumber, timber, etc.) to and from the Tradex site. If you or someone that you can squeeze a favour out of has the ability to do some hauling the week of Jan 12th/19, and more importantly following tear-down the week of the 26th, please let us know ASAP.
  5. Lighting - anyone with access to strobes, floods, etc. that we could set out on the course to create a more exciting nighttime show? This is a real stretch, but if any of you are certified for flashboxes, pyrotech, etc. then please let me know!
This event is going to be very impressive and make y'all very proud of DualsportBC.

Tom & I need your help to make this happen!

Thanks, please PM Tom or I, or post here.

Mark

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Not a lot of takers for this endeavour:(

How would you guys like to meet with us face to face and we do the sales pitch on what needs to be done? and what you might be able to supply (materials / labour)

A DSBC Club Meeting?:hr:

Post here if that would get you interested:ted:

Tom

Big Boar

imported post

imported post

I would be able to help set up on thursday night around 7:00pm ... and friday.

I have tools and some carpentry skills. I think I can also bring another helper.

Got my pickup so I can bring some stuff out to the show too.

Sometimes I get on a roll ;)and can come up with some very creative ideas.

Let me know if you are going to meet about this. :hb: :dr:

Big

DRuZer

imported post

imported post

I cant skip work, but wanna help where I can. fer sher Saturday and Sunday of the event. I think this is gonna be awesome. yeehah!

how about a weeknight meeting?

Guy

Phoenix

imported post

imported post

Would like to help out, definately have labour experience;). Already signed up with Judy for the booth, but willing to do more. A meeting would be good, providing a better idea of how and whenI/others can contribute.

Cheers, Alex.

greenlake

imported post

imported post

Tom, Mark

I'm booked with Judy Fri 6-9p.m.

Give me a pm if you help at other times. Tough to get off Thurs Fri but anything is possible.

Dave

F

franhoser

imported post

imported post

Hey Tom,

I never forgot about the Hydro poles. I asked the guy's at Abbtosford and there were going to check with the boss at the Disposal Dept but never got back to me. I will follow up next week and let you know.

From the sound of things those bins are pretty dirty with creasote oil from the old poles and there is other crap that they used to treat the base of the poles back in the day. It may be more trouble than it's worth in term of the pole being too stained. But I will follow up and let you know.

Lev

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

franhoser wrote:
Hey Tom,

I never forgot about the Hydro poles. I asked the guy's at Abbtosford and there were going to check with the boss at the Disposal Dept but never got back to me. I will follow up next week and let you know.

From the sound of things those bins are pretty dirty with creasote oil from the old poles and there is other crap that they used to treat the base of the poles back in the day. It may be more trouble than it's worth in term of the pole being too stained. But I will follow up and let you know.

Lev

I see a lot of poles at the side of the road when I drive around. Do you think we could pick some of those up?? Check and see what you can find out

Thanks

Tom

F

franhoser

imported post

imported post

No definetly don't pick any of the pole on the side of the road laying down. Those are ussally brand new poles geared for replacement nearby. A delivery company just delivers them to various locations. If you take one it's like stealing. Normally the old stuff is trucked right away by the crews as they finish.

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

franhoser wrote:
No definetly don't pick any of the pole on the side of the road laying down. Those are ussally brand new poles geared for replacement nearby. A delivery company just delivers them to various locations. If you take one it's like stealing. Normally the old stuff is trucked right away by the crews as they finish.
Dont worry I know the difference between a new and old pole.

Bugsinteeth

imported post

imported post

I sent a PM to Judy with dates I am available. Should be able to lend a hand for a couple of days.

Cheers,

Paul N.

ScottM604

Super Moderator
imported post

imported post

hey there

i am singed up with Judy for 11-2 on Sunday and i am going to be handing around till the show ends So i can lend a hand for tear down, i am a millwirght jack of all trades master of some.

Scott

S

SmokinJoe

imported post

imported post

hydro wont sell you any poles, its a liability they dont want to deal with, alot of them have nasty treating on them anyways...unless you got a old pole that has it all washed out, yellow and red cedar, they get milled up. You won't be able to get one unless you knew somebody and knew what type of beer they drank, I know the Abb guys but doubt they'd put thier job on the line for this. Lower mainland it's pretty controlled...if it was the island i might have been able to help out =P

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

Good News:clap:

Randy and Dee have donated all the logs we need

the treated hydro poles are out

We will need to get them transported from Langley to the Tradex by the new year

Mostly manpower needed working on a truck and trailer

We will also have to cut some of the logs into 15" rounds

Ultimately this obstacle will look like this