DSBC SPRING NEWBIE RIDE - SATURDAY MARCH 24

C

CrazyD2.0

imported post

imported post

I agree most heartedly with all - that was great!:dr:

I've learned a few things more about my machine that need to get addressed:

- there is no boot that is water proof !:p (ok, not machine related - but, you know)

- the stock front forks on a KLR are too soft. Going to have to do something about that!

- Definitely going to have to do the Vent-T-Mod for the carb. I bogged out a couple times. Thankfully a shut-down and startup was all I needed to keep going. :D

- need knobbier tires. Couple more months to wear out the original stockers then I'll have a better capable dirt rider.

Many thanks to Judy, Tom, Ian and the group of members that made this so enjoyable. Looking forward to future runs!

Its 7:00 pm: and the damn sun is breaking through the clouds when I just now looked west towards Vancouver :)

Rick

Phoenix

imported post

imported post

Awesome day, thanks to the dedicated organisers of all things good. As i sit here watching the sunshine streaming brightly onto the back patio I can't help but think about how we have helped to reduce the strain on our local waterways as the 40 lbs. of water drip out of my gear.

Rambocycle

imported post

imported post

What a day!:shoot: I had a blast really!! If the rain would have just gone away it would have been perfect ! But instead 26 brave CRAZY bikers decided to go for a ride!

I can't believe we found 6 people to actually go up and try that bridge in the rain. :clap::clap:Good show.. and a KLR too boot!

I thought it was great Judy!! Thank you for all your hard work in making it a great day. Thanks also to all the helpers who came out pre ride with you to set it up! Thanks also John and Judy and Beemer for the ride home!! (my bike thanks you too.;))

Hopefully we all made it home safe and sound. We picked up1 morestraggler,our neighbour Shawn from the Yarrow road where his bike had decided it had enough fun for one dayand wasn't going to play in the rain anymore.

THANKS AGAIN FOR A GREAT DAY !! :hb::hb:

And to all of you that didn't make it .......Well We'll see you at the DEAD ZONE or another ride. There is always the Fall Newbie Ride! :hb:

Sharon

lmcdonald

imported post

imported post

A great day for my first DSBC event. Thanks to all - a real treat.

I have to get back in the dryer now...

C

CRF450mad moto

imported post

imported post

That was way more fun than expected, hugh thnx to Judy, Tom, Ian. Judy, glad you were guiding me cause I'd still be "Lost in Space" taking every wrong trail :f:

I so need a larger tank, the CRF's 2 gal doesn't quite cut it and having a gas can strapped to my ass made for an unbalanced ride....

I'm so going to trailer the beast next time, 3 hrs back waterlogged only to be blinded by the :ss::X... " enough said... love to see some of the pics posted.... till then, your a great group and look forward to some more outtings!

see ya all around like a doughnut

Geoff

Pitscar

imported post

imported post

CRF450mad moto wrote:
I'm so going to trailer the beast next time, 3 hrs back waterlogged only to be blinded by the :ss::X... " enough said... love to see some of the pics posted.... till then, your a great group and look forward to some more outtings!

see ya all around like a doughnut

Geoff

Love it:) Only on a day like this could someone actually complain about the sunshine ;) Nice meeting ya Geoff

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

What A Bunch Of Noobs:shoot:

Who in their right mind would ride in that kind of weather :shock:

Then hoist a couple of cold ones:hb:

Couldn't wait an extra day:ss:

Thanks everyone I had a great time:)

Here are some pictures I took, some might be blurry but those of you who were there will understand why

1DSCF1761-med.JPG

1DSCF1763-med.JPG

There all smiling now......Just wait

1DSCF1764-med.JPG

1DSCF1766-med.JPG

1DSCF1768-med.JPG

Unlike many other motorcyclists DSBC rides dont care how much or hard it rains

Its all about riding:tup::tup:

1DSCF1769-med.JPG

Trail by Tamahi Creek

1DSCF1770-med.JPG

Notice the TCT on the tree;)

1DSCF1772-med.JPG

Some teamwork required here

1DSCF1773-med.JPG

Hawk being the good shepherd that he is, gathering the sheep that stray off

1DSCF1774-med.JPG

1DSCF1775-med.JPG

1DSCF1776-med.JPG

1DSCF1781-med.JPG

1DSCF1784-med.JPG

1DSCF1785-med.JPG

On our way to the bridge:dr:

1DSCF1786-med.JPG

A veiw of the little people below

1DSCF1787-med.JPG

1DSCF1788-med.JPG

Is that a KLR riding onthat bridge?Someone must have photoshop here KLRs are too big for trail riding:wi:

1DSCF1790-med.JPG

Thats it,I got so wet that I forgot to take anymore pictures. So if any of you took more pictures be sure to post.

Thanks for a crazy day

Tom Timmerman

baxter650

imported post

imported post

Well here we are on Sunday and the sun is out and things are dring up, by this afternoon i will probably cutthe grass. Can we pick the days to go riding or what, maybe later after the grassi'll get me a catscan. Vince

JavaJude

Super Moderator
imported post

imported post

What a GREAT DAY we had yesterday :dr::dr::dr::dr::dr: :dr:

I have lots of photos but I have to wait for my camera battery to recharge before I can post them. Tom, those are fantastic photos you posted:tup::tup::tup::tup:

I'm off to baseball practice. I'll post more later.

D

dooveman

imported post

imported post

Yes, even though it rained really hard. I like doing longer trips and on those trips you can't just book 2 weeks of good weather. So a miserable rainy day is a great way to test the gear, the bike, and me for that matter. Like Rick (CrazyD) I too noticed the KLR chocking on the water. And for me, one boot stayed dry. Figure that one out. I will also be shoppong for scuba gloves. I think those might be good because no glove can take that.

And the biggest lesson came 4 blocks from my house when I was reminded that the biggest danger is from cars, especially at the beginning of the season. Yeah, almost got smoked by a pickup truck. Thankfully I had an escape route and I was paying attention to his body language and how he was operating the vehicle and predicted that he would cut me off.:mad3:

I think I'll post something in general tips, a thread that we can use so people can tell a lesson learned so we can build a collection of safety tips for noobs. This could include vehicle close calls or dirt riding tips like cornering or going down steep grades. Tell a storey, provide a tip.
Great day though. Funny how the sun came out today. Is there a message to DSBC from the weather gods? Hmmmm

5thgear

I'm a DSBC sponsor. Please thank me with your busi
imported post

imported post

That HUSKY TE 610 sure does look good.

I didn't think anyone would show up you guys are hardcore. Make the next one on a Sunday so those in the bike industry can come.

G

greyone

imported post

imported post

A repeat of the well desrved thanks to the organizers from one of the newbies. Much fun and an excellent way to get my feet wet (literally) in the sport with 24 others.

Most impressed with the group doing the bridge route after I walked up and looked at it up close. How a KLR650 made it, I don't know. Bummer about the Husky.

Hopefully we can talk Norm into a tech day to address the water problems with the KLRs as 2 or 3 of us had similar problems.

Dennis

BMWNut

imported post

imported post

5thgear wrote:
That HUSKY TE 610 sure does look good.

I didn't think anyone would show up you guys are hardcore. Make the next one on a Sunday so those in the bike industry can come.
I second that! Gotta get over from the Island too.

M

mwrunt

imported post

imported post

hey everybody thanks for the warm welcome and the tips and advice. Nice to get to know some new people to ride with. I learned a lot this ride

lessons learned

get a skidplate, trailwings are not a offroad tire. and if you dont think ya are cabable of doing a section of trail try it anyway if theres a good group to suport ya. i was amazed at the stuff i was able to make it through.

i spent tho mornin tig welding the case cover and then ran some nice heavy passes over the volnerable sections to make it stronger then stock and better then new

thanks everyone especially tom for the ride home. cant wait for the next one

vexorg

Flinger of mud
imported post

imported post

My first ride with you guys, and was it wet! But aside from wet, it was fun :D. As others have already said, thanks to the organizers for a great ride, and for allowing newbs like me start to learn where to ride around here. I was especially thankful to John (whose name I somehow thought was Jeff) and Neil for taking the time to help me out when my bike refused to start. Thankfully, I had already done the t-mod while out in Ontario for all the mudholes, I didn't think that rain would ever get heavy enough to cause the mighty KLR to stall!

For anyone who wants it, I posted my GPS track of the ride to http://bike.stu.ph/rides/ride.php?ride=161

Can't wait for the next ride!
(seriously, any ride that comes up that can be done with a KLR, I want in!)

Pat

JavaJude

Super Moderator
imported post

imported post

[align=center]RIDE REPORT[/align]
When I pulled up to the Cultas Lake Pub at 10am on Saturday morning in the pouring rain I couldn't believe what I saw :shock:. . . . the parking lot was FULL of Dualsport bikes. I never imagined that there would be that many hardcore (or CRAZY) riders. It was really a site to see.

I have to thank Robert from the Cultas Lake Pub for letting us use his parking lot to stage our 2007 Spring Newbie Ride. He told me that we can use his parking lot any time we like (as long as we visit the pub after our ride and say hello . . . and of course enjoy a refreshment :hb:)

Look at those KLRs:clap::clap::clap::clap:I gotta hand it to those KLR riders . . . they will go anywhere and try anything at least once :tup::tup::tup:

Thanks to Tom and Ian for leading the group and Neil and Vince for being sweep riders with me. :dr::dr: :dr:

when we got to Chipmunk Creek and the Piston Run rock bridge we took a break to enjoy the scenery. We compared who was more soaking wet. The best part was seeing the smiles on everyones faces.

A couple of the guys took a walk up to the bridge to have a look.

Here comes Tom down the bridge. John is waiting for him below.

All 6 of them made it down the bridge safely. That's Dennis (GreyOne) up there on the left who walked up to have a closer look.

Here's Tom coming down from the bridge.

Two more of the guys coming down from the bridge

This is the KLR rider who did the rock bridge :dr::dr::dr::dr:

Here comes John

The proud Husky 610 owner.

Hhhhmmmmmm what's that puddle under the bike??? I know it's raining hard but that doesn't look like water????

Ooohhhh the horror of it all!!!!! :hr:

There's always someone to help on a big group ride. Thanks for the tow Neil :dude:.

The reward at the end of the ride :hb:The Cultas Lake Pub.

There were a number of riders who came out on this ride that I got to meet for the first time. I hope we can ride together again.

Summary of event:

26 riders

Bikes participting - DR 200, DR 350, lots of DRZ 400s, DR 650, CRF 450 (Geoff, you gotta get the bigger tank so you don't have to carry the jerry can), Husky 610, LOTS of KLRs :tup:and last but not least the big boy KTM 950.

No one got hurt.

Despite the weather (it was a dry rain so it wasn't that bad) it was a great day.

Thanks to everyone who showed up and participated. Let's do it again.

-Judy-

G

greyone

imported post

imported post

Another notable who deserves an award of some sort is the rider on the Motard with street tires.

K

Kawasakied

imported post

imported post

greyone wrote:
Another notable who deserves an award of some sort is the rider on the Motard with street tires.

I agree. I rode out with him from the Piston area and had to keep the gas on to keep up. Imagine what he could do if he had knobbies! I never got his name but want to thank him for keeping me company. As some of you know, I had to dig out rocks and crud between my tire and rim so was a bit concerned about getting a flat.

Cheers, Ed

JavaJude

Super Moderator
imported post

imported post

greyone wrote:
The fellow that you are asking about is blacknbluesm. And you are right, he's one heck of a rider on road. And I really have to applaud his off road abilities on the SM tires. He joined us on the Newbie ride last October on Harrison East and he was amazing.