Dual Sport Mile-age, All Brands

TW_rider

update , still have the same bike, 03 ktm 640A, will be 10 yrs old August since I bought new.... I gave her an engine rebuild at 127k as outlined in this thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632893. The bike has been super reliable for another long span and now has close to 178,000 km on it... My plan is to run it up to 200K and do the rings and a valve job....
Same bike...now at 45,000+ km. Carb rebuilt last summer, for no real reason other than to replace the needle that I thought would be well worn by now - it wasn't!
Nothing but Mobil T 10W-40 synthetic.

Last edited:

deuce

The Missus and I have had 3 KTM 950's between us. My first was an '06. It had 4k kms on it when I got it. Sold it one year later with 24k kms. My wife then bought an '06 with 10k kms. She sold it 2 yrs later with 75k kms. At the same time I bought another '05 with 20k kms and sold it also about 2 yrs later with 82k kms.

Never had any issues with any of these bikes. Just regular maintenance and ride the shit out of them. Wish we still had a least one but we are bike whores and like changing our rides and trying different bikes. We had a '13 Vstrom 650 last year. Bought it new and put over 10k kms on it in 8 months. Unfortunately I had a unscheduled meeting with a big cedar stump and totaled the bike last October. Broke both arms and buggered my right leg. We are bike shopping again.

Island Hopper

We had a '13 Vstrom 650 last year. Bought it new and put over 10k kms on it in 8 months. Unfortunately I had a unscheduled meeting with a big cedar stump and totaled the bike last October. Broke both arms and buggered my right leg. We are bike shopping again.

Wow, it really sounds like that stump got the best of you, your lucky to be still walking this earth..
The Strom is not the greatest off pavement bike but still it has lots of fans, did you like it enough to buy another one?

Cowgirl

2010 V-Strom bought new in Sept 2010 now has 54,xxx km. As per manufacturer's recommendations I've done 2 valve checks so far with no issues. Chain and sprockets replaced 36,000 km. Oil changes every 6,000km. That's it. 2009 WR250R bought Sept 2011 with 4500km now has 9500 km. Only oil. I love low maintenance bikes :)

deuce

Wow, it really sounds like that stump got the best of you, your lucky to be still walking this earth..
The Strom is not the greatest off pavement bike but still it has lots of fans, did you like it enough to buy another one?

We loved it. Going in today to do the paperwork for a new '14. We have all the bags and other goodies I was able to salvage off the wreck so will save some money not having to buy farkles for it.

We just do logging and FS roads and the 650 (or any other bike) is fine. These types of bikes are the SUV's of motorcycling.

Last edited:

triplenickel

07 SE bought new, a bit over 80K now with nothing more than routine maintenance, drive train twice, brakes, lots of tires, valve checks as per KTM specs no adjustments needed yet.

offworlder

2011 KTM 990, bought new, currently at 35000+Kms, has needed nothing but regular maintenance (read: oil change, bearing grease), tires, and a few chains.
Incredible considering where she takes me.

Island Hopper

What happens when there is no viable replacement for the old bike you are riding in conjunction with the worst winter in recent memory? A full refresh of coarse right down to repainting the frame ... The bike I bought new in 2004 was showing signs of years of wear and tear.. So I spent a bit of time over the winter making it look more like it did 13 yrs prior.. Right now it sits at just over 212,000 KM..
IMG_7982.JPG

IMG_8004.JPG

IMG_8005.JPG

IMG_8026.JPG

IMG_8046.JPG

IMG_8057.JPG

IMG_8069.JPG

IMG_8078.JPG

IMG_8122.JPG

IMG_8156.JPG

IMG_8194.JPG

IMG_8204.JPG

IMG_8206.JPG

IMG_8214.JPG

IMG_8220.JPG

IMG_8221.JPG

IMG_8230.JPG

IMG_8241.JPG

IMG_8240.JPG

IMG_8237.JPG

Randual

Great job on the restoration I.H.
I'm sure if I tore my bike down that far I'd need much help putting back together, and I most likely would have a few parts left over and be scratching my head wondering where they came from...
Bike looks fantastic and ready for more Island adventures!
thanks for posting
Randy
:tup:

eagleguy

Real nice job on your bike Dave.
Randual, I think he has a second bike around, probably looked at that a few times when things got confusing!

rz35027

Real nice job on your bike Dave.
Randual, I think he has a second bike around, probably looked at that a few times when things got confusing!

Naaah... I think he knows it off by heart... He's one of the most accessible Lc4 gurus on the planet, AKA Gunnerbuck. The bike looks better than new.

Rustic

DSBC President / BCORMA Treasurer
Staff member
Back in the saddle this time last year riding the same model I was when I hung up my helmet.

NEW to me 92 DR650 (34,000miles on broken speedo)

I put 9368 km on it from purchase Mrch 2016 till last month. I commuted from Abby to beyond Squamish twice a week. 300km of slab and 100 -250km of gravel roads and skidder tracks for work)

Worked flawlessly with regular oil changes up till the late summer earlye fall and then had some hard starting issues... thought it was stock bst carb and needed an excuse to go to a TM40 Fkatside Pumper Carb. Bike ran great for two weeks (still some hard starts... dang) ..........

It's been sitting for the last 6 weeks while I Chase a no spark issue in the old kickstarter girl......
Electric gremlins have got me frustrated.

Love the bike, always did, but a second bike is in the plans for some single track fun and for the wife to come on a few adv rides.

I WILL FIND THIS ELECTRIC ISSUE AND RESTORE THE OLD GIRL TO GOOD GRACES ;)

Last edited:

Island Hopper

I put together a bike a while back mostly from parts I collected up from Ebay and forum flea markets.. It took about 5 yrs of gathering before I was able to launch the project build.. I rode the bike all of last year and put on about 17,000 KM with no issues... I didn't get an accurate count but I think the parts came from about 40-50 different KTM LC 4 motorcycles from all over the world... I documented the project here: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/new-640-build-from-the-ground-up.993062/

woofer2609

52,000kms on my 2000 XT225. More actually, as i rode it one summervwith a broken odo/ speedo cable. Stator replaced, starter clutch replaced. Countless other little fixes. Starting to use some oil, so may be time to replace valve seals as compression seems fine. Still has plenty of power (for a 223cc bike). Bike seems fairly sturdy, I've seen it loop the loop (sans rider), and done some loaded two up camping trips. Bike is pretty easy on parts. Tires last forever, and the RK 428 chain lasted 30, 000kmsHaving a child has slowed down mile accumulation. I'd like to roll over 100,000.Then sell as new.