Dust 2 Dawson / Inuvik June 2015

Chuck

I am starting to make plans to make the trip from Terrace to Inuvik with a "stopover" in Dawson City YT for the Dust 2 Dawson ride (don't call it a rally) which is scheduled for June 18 to 21, 2015.
For more info on the D2D, see: http://dawsoncity.ca/event/dust-2-dawson-motorcycle-ride-rally/

I am planning on camping as much as possible but will motel it if the weather demands it, or as sometimes happens, the bears don't allow for tenting.

If anyone is interested in making the trip let me know, because it would be good to have a traveling buddy. I'll be somewhat flexible on the dates, but I'd really like to be able to hit the major event in Dawson City on the way to Inuvik.

Let me know if you're interested.

bchunter

I am interested, but being interested and able are two completely different things!!! Have a great ride and post up some pics for us if you can when you get back.

drbike

You will have a great ride I am sure. There are loads of folks riding in the North this time of the year. Even if you leave alone you will soon be part of a group. D2D is a total blast. The bears are another thing all together. :)

Chuck

I was thinking that this post probably should have gone in the Adventure section but I thought I'd see if there was some interest from my northwest BC comrades. I guess when I post the ride report, I'll put it there.
More info about the ride here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1034100&highlight=dust+dawson
Just signed up today. Sign up thread here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1034098&highlight=dust+dawson+sign
I'm sure I'll find someone to ride with. I see I'm the 121st to sign up for the D2D, so there'll be no shortage of riders!

...on another note, long time no see bchunter and drbike. Hope to get out your way this summer for a rip. Cheers :hb:

Last edited:

drbike

...on another note, long time no see bchunter and drbike. Hope to get out your way this summer for a rip. Cheers :hb:[/QUOTE]

Hey Chuck the coffee pot is always on

spring must be here I just insured the new bike and have burnt up a small amount of fuel at the current prices I think I could ride forever LOL

RandyN

Four of us made the trip to Dawson and Inuvik last year just after Dust to Dawson. We took the ferry from Port Hardy to Rupert and then up the Nisga Hwy to Hwy 37 and onward. Came home on the AlCan. I will do it it again, but this summer isnt in the cards, unfortunately :gaah:

Chuck

Four of us made the trip to Dawson and Inuvik last year just after Dust to Dawson.

RandyN,
I've been researching the trip and have concerns about the conditions I might encounter on the Dempster Highway. I've read many ride reports and watched several videos documenting the trip: There was everything from the worst experience possible to a good ride on a gravel road. I realize that conditions vary greatly and can change very quickly as well. What were the conditions like at the for you last year after the D2D? Still fairly early in the season for that area and I'm wondering how the road was for your trip... trying to figure out if I'm planning my trip at a good time of year. (It is the only time available for me to go and I want to make it to D2C anyway, so I won't be changing my plans. Just curious.)

Also, how about the bugs? I'm planning on tenting as much as possible, depending on weather, bears, etc...

You can ride to Dawson city on a Gold Wing so you will not have any issues to that point. The Dempster is a road that has road conditions that allow you to ride at 120 kph when it is dry. When the road gets wet the conditions can change quickly and you may be down to 30 kph for some of the poor parts. When the conditions get rough just slow down and ride to your capacity.
I see that you are riding a big bike. Be prepared to pick it up by yourself if you are riding alone. It is a great ride and you are going at a good time of the year. Randy was one of my riding partners last year and I echo his comments, I will be back but not this year.

RandyN

I think Caribooster has summarized it well. You have picked a good time of the year. I would say that my concerns were my ability and the deep gravel in places. Don"t override your ability and the conditions and you will be fine. Te only time my bike went down was when I forgot to put the kickstand down getting off or didnt leave it in gear facing downhill. We stopped in Eagle Plains both ways. There"s a campsite there and a lodging if you want it. The bugs to me seemed worse on Highway 37 than the Dempster. I used bug dope freely and liberally and was fine. Be bear aware and you will be good. Road conditions for us going up were great and we hit some sloppy mud coming home because it can really rain!! There was a fellow from Spokane in the Inuvik hospital who was beat up from dumping his GS at about 80KPH on loose gravel. He got a 5-6 hr ride to Inuvik in a MOT crew truck with some fractures. He said it wasnt much fun. So have fun but be careful and you will love it. Here is a link to my pics.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/117464761282197897299/albums
Cheers
Randy

04klr

the Dempster dry can be easy and fast, the wet can be very very slippery. I ran into a father and son pair that the father after a particularly long series of tank swapping "we're losing it" moves finally at a reduced speed high sided his big Husky 630 ripping a box off and generally flinging things everywhere hurting his shoulder enough to stop them at eagle plains where they made the call to turn back. The other mud moment was following Cody from Tenessee on his 950 that was making some crazy esses on the road, I passed him so I wasn't there to see what was coming. (but didn't)

flat tire on the return from Inuvik approaching Wright pass in the Richardson mtns. The only flat between Inuvik NWT and Ushuia Arg. and it was from an antique hand made square nail, funny. I can picture a blacksmith up there in the sky, having a beer and a laugh with his deceased buddies over his nail that he knew someday would get somebody.

Last edited:

Chuck

...and it is never sunny and warm out when you've got to change a flat roadside! :( I like your use of panniers for ballast.
Thanks for the pics RandyN and 04KLR.

YetiHunter

I did the DtoD last year and had a great time. Camped all the way from Vancouver and stayed in a hotel for a couple of nights in Dawson. I passed on the Dempster as the weather had been particularly nasty and it was a mess. I would have had to do it on my own and wasn't up for a struggle. I would ride it in a heartbeat if the forecast was for dry conditions though.

Enjoy and don't sweat the bears. I slept with a can of spray beside me and made sure there was no food nearby. Saw dozens of them but never had a problem. The tourists in motorhomes are way more dangerous I think.

Chuck

Thanks YetiHunter. Too bad the weather was so bad. From everything I've seen & read, the Dempster (like the Dalton) gets very sloppy and difficult to ride in the rain. It was probably a good decision to turn back - why ride it if you're not going to enjoy it.
I have some people to meet at the destination, so I'm hoping for good weather.
I'll look out for the "Clark Grizwolds" :hr: driving motorhomes ... or whatever!

Kitimat KLR

Hi Chuck....Hope the plan comes off and all goes well. Assume you'll be on the Super10?
My old aching bones keep me on the highway these days....will run out to Pr Rupert later today when the frost has cleared

RockyDS

I met up with Chuck in Dawson and we road to Inuvik together. I rode back solo as he stayed for a couple of days with his cousin. We had a great ride.

DSCN1224.JPG

DSCN1297.JPG

DSCN1292.JPG

My RR here;

https://dualsportblog.wordpress.com/2015-dust-to-dawson-inuvik/