From Whistler to Whitehorse

brucedwilson

Guys, I'm a member of the ODSC in Ontario, but have been a member on dualsport.bc for years...out of interest. I had once planned a trip to the Arctic, but it didn't come off as planned.

I'm heading up that way though, this summer. Can I get some advice? I'm departing Whistler, on a VStrom 1000 in early August (after a conference). I'm having the bike shipped to Vancouver, due to timing.

Basically...I have routing questions. From Whistler to Whitehorse...four days? preferred roads? likely stops for the night? What's your advice?

Thanks in advance...:)

Bruce

RocketMan

Four days no prob take the Stewart Cassiar hwy.Go to PG day one. Second go to Stewart/hyder Alaska some nice glaciers to see,. u can get a room at the Sea alaska for cheap.Day 3 head up the road to Watson lake stay there.Then its a short 450k to Whitehorse on day4.Pm when your going as i am headed up there on Aug13-14ish.

bchunter

Hey there. I highly recommend Hwy 37 up from Kitwanga to the Yukon. It is a beautiful route and would be great on the Strom. If you are into riding on light gravel, like FSR's there is a very nice route that you can ride from Hazelton to Hwy 37 up the Kispiox. I would be more then happy to ride it with you if my work schedule matches your travel dates.

As for stops along the way, are you camping or hoteling it? Smithers is always a nice break as we are 4 hrs (at the speed limit ;) ) from PG if you are staying in a hotel. For camping, there are nicer places then right here.

As for getting up here, you will be kinda stuck with Hwy 97 to PG due to your 4 day time planning. If you had more time to get up there I would highly recommend Hwy 16 up from Clearwater to Tete Jaune Cache, then through McBride to PG then on to our neck of the woods, but that would be pushing it in four days from Whistler unless all you want to do is ride massive miles per day.

Also, another guy up here, 2Trider is always up for folks to camp at his place in Hazelton. And you might know him as he is an Ontarioarin that had relocated to our neck of the woods and I think he ventures onto the ODSC.

Hope that helps. Feel free to post up questions or anything. That is why we are here, to show you the best part of the province :)

2Trider

Bruce....
How's it going.....you definitely have a stop in Hazelton at my place and schedule a run up into the mountains on one of my bikes for a day...enjoy some of what is here and why I am not in Onterrible...
between myself and bchunter we can keep you entertained with routes and sights....limited by how much time you have:D...I will PM you my info.

brucedwilson

What a stellar bunch you are. Allow me to do some mapping and figure out what you're telling me. I'll be back shortly.

Cheers, Bruce

bchunter

Oh-oh. If you borrow one of 2T's bikes and we start showing you what we have here in the North, you might have to schedule a house hunting trip :hf:

Buck

Hey guys, similar ride planned, leaving June 9 for Alaska. Will check that side route you mentioned from Hazelton to 37 although my map shows a dead end before connecting to 37. There will be three of us on 650's. Last time up north for me was about 7 years ago.. Stewart/Hyder and Telegraph Creek. Maybe we'll cross paths this time.
Mike

2Trider

You want to connect onto the Mitten FSR at about km60 (is Signed)on the Kispiox Rd and it will take you out to 37 about 2km north of cranberry jct

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=kitwa...nal+District,+British+Columbia&gl=ca&t=h&z=16
Google maps calls the Mitten the Cassiar hwy :confused: anyways follow it back to the Kispiox rd (to get a bearing) and you could also come up along mitten Lake via the Helen FSR (that is 25km of twisty FSR) instead of all the way up the Kispiox Rd to the Mitten FSR....choices of which are worth doing to avoid slab:clap:

bchunter

Hey Buck, what day do you think you guys will be up here? If it works I will ride the Kispiox/Mitten with you. I can't do June 9/10 but should be free after that. Just throwing it out there .....

Buck

Thanks guys for the info. We will be passing through on June 11 or 12. Would be great to meet up and connect with a local tour guide! I'll pm contact info to you both.

RiskMan

I came through that way about 8 years ago on way to Terrace and camp at a provincial campground near Telkwa (Tyee Lake?), very nice. Looking forward to this trip. Just picked up a new camera to capture the sights and Mike wrestling a bear...........hahaha

Scott

bchunter

Perfect, perfect. I got your pm Buck and will give you a shout ASAP. I also have some other ideas to get you off the slab for a bit and will chat with them when we connect. I can do either day 100% for sure, will be a great day.

Looking forward to meeting both you and Riskman.

:hb:

Just stumbled across this thread. I am also headed for the Great White North leaving Fri, Sat or Sun. Buck and bchunter you have PM's
Lars

triplenickel

You want to connect onto the Mitten FSR at about km60 (is Signed)on the Kispiox Rd and it will take you out to 37 about 2km north of cranberry jct

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=kitwa...nal+District,+British+Columbia&gl=ca&t=h&z=16
Google maps calls the Mitten the Cassiar hwy :confused: anyways follow it back to the Kispiox rd (to get a bearing) and you could also come up along mitten Lake via the Helen FSR (that is 25km of twisty FSR) instead of all the way up the Kispiox Rd to the Mitten FSR....choices of which are worth doing to avoid slab:clap:

I would second the Helen Lake road too.

bchunter

I would third the Helen :TTT:

Got and replied to your pm islandswede. Sorry, but I was having a hard time logging on like others.

Looking forward to the ride and meeting you guys. Will be a great run and we are supposed to have sun on Mon / Tues :hf:

triplenickel

I can't remember exactly where along the stretch it is anymore without standing there but if you stop at about 55.636451,-128.22753 just beside Hilltop Lake and follow where the creek dumps out and under the Mitten there's a really nice waterfall hidden back in the bush there. You can hear it from the road and there's a good swimming hole down at the bottom. It's so dense it looks like nothing from Google but the canyon is steep and drops a good ways to get the creek down to the Kispiox. Worth a stop for sure, it's just east of the sharp corner by the lake.

bchunter

RIGHT ON !!!!! Some great local knowledge there. I never even knew about that. I will put the coordinates into my GPS and make it a stop for sure. If we can find it I will take a pic and post it up for you. It will be for make good memories.

Heck,even better, why not join us in a crusade through your old stomping grounds??? :hf:

Thanks a ton for the coordinates. That is how I like to role. Throw it into the GPS and find it. Geocaching moto style :hb:

Thanks again for the great info.

Last edited:

2Trider

I can't remember exactly where along the stretch it is anymore without standing there but if you stop at about 55.636451,-128.22753 just beside Hilltop Lake and follow where the creek dumps out and under the Mitten there's a really nice waterfall hidden back in the bush there. You can hear it from the road and there's a good swimming hole down at the bottom. It's so dense it looks like nothing from Google but the canyon is steep and drops a good ways to get the creek down to the Kispiox. Worth a stop for sure, it's just east of the sharp corner by the lake.

AWESOME:clap:
now that is worth checking into:f: