• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Gaspard (Farwell Canyon) to Swartz lake (Gold River) crossover

B

brunstei

Hey folks,

Looking for firsthand info re: a possible route northbound from Gold Bridge / Swartz lake over to the Gaspard Ck/ Churn Ck. FSR system towards Farwall Canyon. I'm thinking to take a Sherpa loaded with camping gear from Pemberton to Anahim Lake as much off-road as possible, (as part of a Vancouver - Bella Coola - ferry to Port Hardy - back to Vancouver loop). This looks to be one of the two big 'question mark' areas in the route.

Backroads mapbook shows two possible routes, the Churn Ck FSR to gaspard near Upper dash Rd, or an unlabled '4WD' road to gaspard/Red Mtn FSR near Yodel Cabin Rd. I've gotten some feedback that at least one of these is doable, albeit with several creek crossings, but that some sections are extremely steep and technical. I'm not an experienced 'technical' route rider, so this has me a bit cautious.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with first hand experience at this crossover section. Thanks!

imported post

imported post

Yes you can go from Swartz Lake to Gaspard Main to Big creek to Hanceville to Chilco Lake and out through Chilco Lodge to Route 20, but I dont recommend using Yodal camp trail with a loaded motorcycle.

bomba

imported post

imported post

I agree with Summit Seeker on the Camp Yodel Rd. Parts of the road are washed out and with some steep technical sectionsthat could cause some grief witha loaded bike depending on one's riding experience.If you decide on this route with a loaded bike I would recommend tackling it with another rider.

Bomba

B

brunstei

imported post

imported post

Ok, thanks - Yodel is out. Actually it was never in the plan; one route went close to it, but in any case I'll avoid it.

Randaroo

imported post

imported post

they logged the crapp out of the backside of windy ridge coming from Williams lake side, the old Jotal road is invisable until you are a few KMs on the main towards 2600 road/gaspard. (you won't be riding on it) Stay on the mainline.

Last season thier were two dinky logs to get over at the top of churn creek hill, no problem on fully loaded klr's, that was it. If you go up the yallakum its even easier but not as groovy.

The backroad book had a hair on the printing proof and shows a road over shwarts lake , a booboo fershure.

Peice of cake on a sherpa or a vstrom with nobbies and little balls.

B

brunstei

imported post

imported post

nobbies - Check!

Balls....errr...well I got this unsolicited email the other day, says for $19.95 I can get these pills, will ensure I've got more than enough. I'll send in my cash - it's on the internet, it's got to be true, right?

Thanks for the heads up re: trees. I'll make it over 'em.

3rdeng

Hey all. I realize that this threads is a couple years old but I am also looking for information on the connection to the Gaspard Main. My partner and I rode through Mud Lake, Swartz lake and then up a fairly steep and very rutted section of trail/road only to come out on top of Poison Mtn (?) at signage indicating the road back down to the Yalakom or a road to China Head Mtn or back to Mud Lakes. We read the sign on the Yodel Rd warning of it being impassable so we ended up on top (we think) of Poison Mtn. Any help would be appreciated

Island Hopper

To get to the back end of 2800/Gaspard you take the left fork at the top of Swartz Hill {the one at the Yodel warning sign}...

I B Stryder

Sheep Trail

Sheep Trail

Thanks for that Islandhopper. We will give it another try this season,

Comming up from Mud lakes from the south, and just befor dropping back down to Swartz Lake. There is the old sheep (my wife calls it the shit trail) Trail that goes over to the end of the 2800 with out fording the churn creek and climbing the hill. but be advised the first 50 meters is a section that with my Gas Gas trials peice or my atv is a cake cilmb but a loaded klr650 is not advised. after the first 50 m its doable down to the old board walk best to have a spoter and pusher toget through the small creek and up onto the 2800 FSR . sheep trail is close to the purposed Backwoods mistake rd.