General 'Routledge' discussion thread

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
Thanks for your patience as we've been trying to create something new / expand on two great events:

1. For more than 8 years we have built up a loyal roster of participants every Canada Day long weekend for the Dead Zone. We want to see you again that weekend in 2011 despite the DZ being discontinued.
  2. Those of us that also belong to the GVMC have in the past helped host a fantastic event in mid-July called the Routledge Run... which many of you have participated in over the years.

So here is what we've (Tom, Judy, Doug, Wes, Mike & me) come up with so far, and if you are considering attending, then we would appreciate your input.

Friday July 1st is the statutory holiday this year.
  • We will provide a guided / charted route (EZ-DS, Hard-DS, Road) for you to ride from the lower mainland, as well as from the 'Loops, at your leisure to the Princeton Castle Resort.
  • You will get fed on Friday night.
  • You will have a bed to sleep in (first 75 registrants), or a spot for your RV (with power & water) or a site for your tent.
Saturday July 2nd will be our 'main event'.
  • You will receive a rollchart (EZ-DS, Hard-DS, Road) for the day, and the opportunity to be guided - start/finish at the Resort.
  • You will be fed breakfast.
  • You will be handed a sak lunch.
  • You will get fed (catered) on Saturday night.
  • You will get some souvenirs.
  • You might even win prizes.
  • You will sleep a second night (see above)

Sunday July 3rd is departure time.
  • You will be fed breakfast.
  • We will give you a route sheet back to the 'loops or ferry / Greater Vancouver

So? What is this all going to cost you wonder?

How about $150pp. No other charges but your own bevvies & fuel!

We hope you likey. We'll try to get a poster & sign-up docs prepared in time for the Bike Show.

Mark

Mad Max

Three days of BED,FEED and FUN for $150.00 ? To me that sounds WAY too good to be true! Sign me up and tell me where to send the cheque!!! I do not know how you guys (and girl) do it.

Keep up the KICK ASS work ,

Max

skidmark43

We already have 18 registrations!

Thanks to all for your interest so far; lots of PM, emails & calls.

Event poster / flyer and registration forms should be posted here and on gvmc.ca next week, and will be available at the Bike Show booth.

Mark

JavaJude

Super Moderator
Make sure to come by the DualSportBC and GVMC booth at the MC Show this weekend to pick up the event poster and maybe take an extra one to drop off at your local dealer.

-Judy-

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
This sounds like it could be fun...don't know the Princeton area much. How soon do you need a "head-count"?

Im not in charge of sign up but I understand that there is limited space and they already have about 30% of the event sold already, If you want in and want to stay in the big cabins you better get your money in.

Tom

skidmark43

Check is in the mail! Well, it will be tomorrow.

Do we need to have a BCORMA number for registration? I haven't gotten my 2011 BCORMA pass yet, but it is on my list of things to do.

Thanks Dan, you're on the list.

We encourage everyone to have a BCtrailpass, but it is not mandatory for this event.

Mark

skidmark43

I got together with Snackdaddy & his Tulameen Trailbosses last week.
  • The Saturday 'B' route is shaping up to be epic. Not too tough, but a long day with plenty of challenges (and 'outs' for anyone that stops having fun).
  • First pre-ride in the lower-elevation scheduled for late May.

PrinterBoy and I plan on the Saturday 'Scenic' route following much the same route as what we prepared for the 2008 Routledge. Plenty of ranchland in addition to Apex Mountain will again make for a nice long ride with plenty of photo ops. No pre-ride scheduled yet; we need to connect with the First Nations over the next few months.

Stay tuned!

Farp

I got together with Snackdaddy & his Tulameen Trailbosses last week.
  • The Saturday 'B' route is shaping up to be epic. Not too tough, but a long day with plenty of challenges (and 'outs' for anyone that stops having fun).
  • First pre-ride in the lower-elevation scheduled for late May.

PrinterBoy and I plan on the Saturday 'Scenic' route following much the same route as what we prepared for the 2008 Routledge. Plenty of ranchland in addition to Apex Mountain will again make for a nice long ride with plenty of photo ops. No pre-ride scheduled yet; we need to connect with the First Nations over the next few months.

Stay tuned!

How far between gas stops on the B route?

John

Mad Max

Who is riding the D/S hard route up on Friday? What time will you be leaving? If you have room for one more I'd appreciate joining in as my trail knowledge of the Mainland is zero.

Thanks in advance,

Max

skidmark43

Who is riding the D/S hard route up on Friday? What time will you be leaving? If you have room for one more I'd appreciate joining in as my trail knowledge of the Mainland is zero.

Thanks in advance,

Max

Stay tuned; info will be posted in mid-June for the organized / guided rides (EZ / HARD / STREET) from the Fraser Valley out to Princeton.

Mark

Dorky

Based on the current rate of snowfall, I'm guessing the ride to Princeton via the Whipsaw should be extra-exciting this year!!

2warped4me

El Gordo

Do you have are route down all planned out for us yet? At this rate we might have to slab it all the way!!

Dorky

El Gordo

Do you have are route down all planned out for us yet? At this rate we might have to slab it all the way!!

I was hoping we'd join the Vancouver crowd on the Coq and take the Whipsaw across the top. Might need sleds!

If there's too much snow and mud up there we can go down through Aspen Grove. Someone must know some routes south of Merritt.

Last edited:

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
Looking for a little clarity; Easy DS route both to and during the event is "C" rated ?
Did the Orca C route on my F650GS (albeit had to slow down for any bumps of significance), while still allowing for the necessary kms of tarmac travel. Will the Easy DS route to the event be off road, and essentially "big bike" friendly ?

Thanks.

QUOTE=offworlder;98096]Looking for a little clarity; Easy DS route both to and during the event is "C" rated ?
Did the Orca C route on my F650GS (albeit had to slow down for any bumps of significance), while still allowing for the necessary kms of tarmac travel. Will the Easy DS route to the event be off road, and essentially "big bike" friendly ?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

"Big Bike Friendly" a dangerous term, when I ride my TE310 I think a 450 is big when I ride the G650X I think the 800s are big

The Routledge has tradionally been a C route for the 650 crowd as that was the main size of DS bike when we added the Dual Sport Route (by the way when we added Dual Sport to the event is when from the low 10s to the 100s for participation) I did the first couple of years laying this route out on my 91 Suzuki DR650, kick start no less.

The C route will all be Forest Service Roads FSR's. Only problem here in BC that can mean just about anything. I always preride everything and try and make sure the riders know what they are about to get themselves into. Even then we have riders that think this Dual Sport thing is easy, well its not. Your are balancing on two wheels while riding gravel, what could possible go wrong?????? You dont have to be a math scholar to understand the bigger the bike the bigger the fall. If you ride off road you are going to fall sometime(s).

Back to the C route
You will have some
  • rocky sections
  • Lots of dust
  • ruts
  • marble like gravel
  • soft road sections
  • mud sections
  • deep gravel
  • slides
  • and I will be surprised if we dont have some snow to cross
In all the years of the Routledge Run we have overcome the obsticals and had a good time, I dont know of anyone who has done this event and left unhappy or unsatisfied

If you have bags, send them up with the truck take only what you need. The Tree fs food flat fone

The basic C route for Friday, this is mostly from memory

Harrison to Boston Bar, about 120 kms total and 100 of that will be gravel (and 50 yards of snow) Some soft sections of road in the middle, deceivingly difficult for the heavy bikes, there is a slide section on the far side, sub 650 wont notice it but the big bikes will have to pick their way thru

Boston Bar to Coquhalla Lakes, about 100 kms 90 to 100 of that will be gravel roads. Anderson is a main FSR and should be good shape, then is Utzlits FSR very much like the top of Harrison East some soft section and watch out for unmarked turns, there is a section of fist sized gravel for the experianced rider no problem, the new rider will now get the experiance. One steep section with switch backs lots of bigger rock but should have a nice line once the faster riders go thru. Murray Lake FSR usually good condition
Pipeline to Coquhalla Lakes if the quads have not drilled it out is should be ez if not just hop on the highway for 10 kms

Coquhalla Lakes to Tulameen, about 45kms all gravel, road is in good shape, along the Tualmeen River it is almost a two track but is smoot and good going

Tulameen to Princeton, about 40 kms, about 20kms of that is gravel you will ride the pavement or KVR just past Coalmount then head up into the mountains thru the Snow Patch Ski area and drop into Princeton to the Princeton Castle Resort.

There you go that about 300 kms just to get you started

Tom, your day one ride co-ordinator

If anyone wants to know details about day one route you may PM me if the answer is not in this thread

skidmark43

Ian,

We will be sending emails to registrants late this week with all sorts of info, including waypoints, maps, etc.
Please note that gear-hauling is available if you drop items off on the evening of Tuesday, June 28th at the GVMC clubhouse in Surrey.

Do you have some papers for us?

Thanks,
Mark

Hey Tom, are you going to release a GPX for the fri-ride C-route?

Thanks
Ian