Grippy DOT Offroad Tires for Van Isle on Sub 500cc Bikes

Bora20

Administrator
Mountain hybrid has been ran. Not as good as a MT43 in Moab or slow gnarley sections. Not as good as a knobbie in the wet or anywhere else. It would be a great fire road and dual sport type of tire.

I am back to trying out a knobby for now. Goldentyre gt240. Similar to a Michelin S12, but DOT approved.

Any tire that will last you a season or two will not give you the performance you are looking for. Change your budget for $300/season for two rear tires and enjoy your time out there.

No no one said motorcycles were cheap!

Just put 600km on the Motoz hybrid riding the Chilcotins . Better than the MT 43 in mud and loose stuff. Good on fire roads and single track. It says DOT approved on the website but could not see it stamped on the tire.

Bora20

Administrator
Rode the Goldentyre 240 110/100-18 rear on 48kms of the A loop of the Rock Hound today. Rocks, roots, hills (both ways) mud, dirt, gravel.

Yup, it is wearing. Yup, it had great traction. Yup, I am going to have to buy more tires :D

DaveSw

Just in case anybody other than me was wondering... The Pirelli MT43 (rear tire) does NOT fit the XT350 I've got. Bought one, put it on today and discovered it rubs the bottom of the shock ever so slightly. A quick around the block shows the rubbing is enough to wear off the moulding flash on the centre row of knobs.

That's with my wheel back as far as my chain will allow (no regard for proper chain tension here, just wanted to check).

The rub (whoops) is the tire that came off was a Kenda K270 in the 4.50-18 size and as everybody knows, the rear size of the MT43 is 4.00-18. I believed the numbers... (only reference to actual diameter of the Pirelli was from the Dennis Kirk website (no can find on Pirelli site) and translates to 684mm, the Kenda is 686mm). Of course this makes me wonder about the PO's fitment of the Kenda originally.

So now I'm going to count my chain links, maybe I can add a few more. Lots of adjustment left in the adjusters, just no chain slack.

What a PITA!

hooter

Just catching up on this thread now... for the original poster - I was able to fit an MT43 on my Husaberg 390 no problem. I'm also on Van Isle and it worked very well for me. Pretty good traction in the dirt, nothing scary on the road, and it actually lasted very well.

bitingdog

I've read that the mt43 is an excellent dual sport tire, provided that you don't ride in mud

Last edited:

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
Just in case anybody other than me was wondering... The Pirelli MT43 (rear tire) does NOT fit the XT350 I've got. Bought one, put it on today and discovered it rubs the bottom of the shock ever so slightly. A quick around the block shows the rubbing is enough to wear off the moulding flash on the centre row of knobs.

That's with my wheel back as far as my chain will allow (no regard for proper chain tension here, just wanted to check).

The rub (whoops) is the tire that came off was a Kenda K270 in the 4.50-18 size and as everybody knows, the rear size of the MT43 is 4.00-18. I believed the numbers... (only reference to actual diameter of the Pirelli was from the Dennis Kirk website (no can find on Pirelli site) and translates to 684mm, the Kenda is 686mm). Of course this makes me wonder about the PO's fitment of the Kenda originally.

So now I'm going to count my chain links, maybe I can add a few more. Lots of adjustment left in the adjusters, just no chain slack.

What a PITA!

That's too bad, Dave.
Yes the MT43 is a 'tall' tire. Since you have lots of room to move the axle back (via the adjusters), it seems you'll get the space / chain slack you need with either a smaller rear sprocket or a chain with 1-2 more links.
It's a great tire that lasts a long time if you keep the pressure low (11 psi) so in my mind well worth the PITA.
Good luck,
mark

DaveSw

Off after lunch to dealer to see if he's got a chain for me or not. Spent the morning checking to ensure it's the stock size and discovered it is, and it's really close to it's wear limits. Time for a new one anyhow.

The short ride around the block with about 11 psi (just bought a new low pressure gauge too) felt way less squirrely than the old Kenda 270 that was on it. Enough to persevere with seeing if I can make it work. Soooo close. Hopefully an extra link or two will do the trick.

ejfranz

I have had the Motoz hybrid on my WR for a few months and it is good up at McNutt on the roots and rock and ok in mud.
I find it a bit squirrelly at high speeds on FSRs. You need to ride it like the MT 43 - try not to spin it. It will not last long if you ride pavement. Tire on one side has the DOT stamp and on the other a warning "This tyre is designed for off road competition In public places riders must REDUCE SPEED allowing a margin of safety in all conditions and ride within limits of grip otherwise serious injury or death may result" So is it really DOT?
I have had it up to 120 kmph on Hwy 5 from 97C to Merrit and back. Also did 115 kmph from hwy 5 to 5A on 97C and back and it felt fine, just ate a fair bit of it.
i like the MT43 for roots and rock, but the MT also does not last when ridden on road.
D606 so far has been the best bang got $, but it has gone way up in price lately.
Checkpoint in Poco had 3 hybrid tires 3 weeks ago and Maple Ridge had 2.

DirtClunker

...I don't care what it is like on the street as long as it's legal, its the off road performance that counts...

Hey Paul, if you dont really care about on road performance, other than DOT, then check out IRC competition trials tires. Some of them are DOT *AND* they are a true trials tire with the ultra gummy trials compound. For all my offroad riding on the island I use a competition trials tire and have no problem getting grip where others sit and spin. You need to be sublte with the throttle though and use momentum. If you ride Whiskey Creek or the single track out at Errington, a competition trials tire with 6PSI will be true bliss. Of course if you have too much road, the IRC will disappear in a matter of miles...

Like my Island compatriot, Hooter (aka "Scout"), the MT43 is my go to for a street legal trials tire, however, the compound pales in comparison to a true trials tire for grippyness. It turns fine, it just does not rail too well.

bitingdog

Real trials tires are radial ply, right? Are they better than the mt43 and/or Motoz Mountain Hybrid in mud? If they are in fact a radial, am I correct in thinking that you must not run a normal bias-ply knobby up front, and a radial trials tire on the back?
Appreciate your real world experience. I read about it, whereas you live it :cool:

Last edited:

DirtClunker

Keep in mind, this is for *my* style of riding. I like to ride all year long, on Vancouver Island. Roots, roots and roots. Slow technical. Mossy rock. Wet, wet, wet. This is what I like to ride. I dont rip 'er up on logging roads (too often), nor ride the fast flowy stuff of the interior (too often).

OK, that being said - I am not sure about radial ply or not (I dont really look at that stuff, although I should), what concerns me is grip. The softer compound and softer side wall of a trials competition tire, combined with lower tire pressures give phenomenal grip - this is what they are developed for. They are not developed for cornering or sand. As for mud, the competition trials tire will be better than the MT43. As long as the tire can throw it, it will work. But if the mud is sticky (think the Tamahi clay mud hill), the trials tire quickly becomes useless (including the DOT MT43). However, everything is a compromise. The MT43 will not have as much grip, but will last much longer, because of the harder compound for DOT. As for the MMH I cannot comment as I have not used one. I have a Maxxis Trailmaxx on the rear of my 350, which is another DOT hybrid tire. It throws mud better than the MT43 or competition trials tire, but it is a compromise. Works better on very hard corners than the DOT MT43, but the stiffer sidewall works against wrapping around roots and such. It spins easier on technical stuff.

To get the most of a trials tire does require adjustment in weight placement and throttle control. Hard on the throttle will cause it to spin and lose some effectiveness. The tire works much better at low pressures (e.g. 6psi on an enduro type bike). The tire needs the weight of the rider on it - no getting off the bike and twisting the throttle - it just wont work. Momentum makes a huge difference.

YMMV

DaveSw

Hey Paul, if you dont really care about on road performance, other than DOT, then check out IRC competition trials tires. Some of them are DOT *AND* they are a true trials tire with the ultra gummy trials compound. <---snip

DC, which IRC tires do you have in mind here?

DirtClunker

Some of the IRC Trials Competition tires were DOT. I did not believe it until a buddy pointed it out to me. I dont think all are.

DaveSw

OK, so looking at the IRC site, that's likely the "Trial Winner TR-011 Tourist", which is "Street legal version of TR-011 (COMPETITION MODEL)".

Thanks for the lead DC.

Cultusking

Maybe it has been said but MX1 Canada sells the Mitas tires and as far as I know they are all DOT. That's what I run and wouldn't use anything else. I believe Colin is a site sponsor as well.
Mitas are the only tires I have run that don't break the side knobs off due to the "Nano-fiber" technology

kenf

"Nano-fiber" technology

Ooooo, with marketing jargon like that, they MUST be awesome :rolleyes: "nano-" is even better than "hyper-" in my experience. And both are waaaaay better than any "mega-" or "super-" anything.

J/K, I would love to have a tire that doesn't chunk off the side knobs in the first few hundred km, I'll have to check out the Mitas lineup. Any specific model numbers that you have direct experience with in the local mud? Vedder and Tamahi seem to have the slickest, greasiest mudholes of anywhere I've ridden, if you can recommend something that plays well in your back yard, I'd definitely check it out.