• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

GSA Emergency Tire Repair

vortexman

OK did you install a rim band? and what about the TPM (tire pressure monitor). Was your bike equipped with TPM and how did you by pass TPM warning indicators?

Last edited:

vortexman

I have calls in to technical on this one and the two issues are valve stem off set (where the hole in the front rim is drilled off centre) and tire pressure monitor sensors. I have removed TPMS many times on other applications and the only by product is a constantly illuminated warning indicator.

BMW had to off set the valve stem hole on the front rim to facilitate the TPM sensor and this does complicate things a bit. I will let you know what I find out.

$_35.JPG

vortexman

Looks like not only can it be done - its a must ! Tubeless GS riders (you know who you are), tube up !

Once again you were correct. Upgraded rims with TPM installed are available for the GSA and being built by the company you mentioned at dinner. They have a good tech dept and speak my language. I have use them before, great service very knowledgeable.

offworlder

Upgraded rims with TPM installed are available for the GSA and being built by the company you mentioned at dinner. They have a good tech dept and speak my language. I have use them before, great service very knowledgeable.

So, when can we expect the build to order "Vortex" edition ?

vortexman

So, when can we expect the build to order "Vortex" edition ?

I am not taking projects on until my shop opens in Oct-Nov but I will help riders if I can. The rim upgrade for GS riders is a very simple fix and if any GS people want info just PM me.

We will get R back on the road and he may opt for the upgrade. The emergency fix for his bike would have been to tear out the TPMS from the rim valve stem hole and stick a tube in.

I just did not want to start experimenting with this late in the day on a lonely road far from civilization with the clock ticking. If you have a bike with two tire sizes just carry a tube the diameter of the bigger rim.

Many times I have done this to get me home and in the case of the KLR more than half a dozen times have I installed a 21"tube in a rear 17" tire and rode just fine 300 plus k at freeway speed to get back home.

The tire pressure monitor system does not in any way affect safety or handling of the bike it is just another superfluous convenience device. I did notice you have a few character spots on your front rim.