Hub & spokes polishing

sylvain

"2018 Forest Fairies"
Hi there,
I want to rebuild a wheel for my Beta and I'm looking to get the Aluminum Hub and stainless steel spokes cleaned/polished.
Anyone have a good way or someone to do the hub polishing, maybe anodized...

As some of you might know, I'm a cheep M^&*& F%$$

any idea?

Ti welder

Hi there,
I want to rebuild a wheel for my Beta and I'm looking to get the Aluminum Hub and stainless steel spokes cleaned/polished.
Anyone have a good way or someone to do the hub polishing, maybe anodized...

As some of you might know, I'm a cheep M^&*& F%$$

any idea?

Autosol metal polish from Cambodian tire runs 15$
great stuff

sylvain

"2018 Forest Fairies"
I used a 400 wet sand paper.
I tried a shitty polishing kit from P. Auto, and gave up.

The hub and the spokes had lots of spot left from the salt brine they put on the road at Tamahi.
Overall the finish is ok.

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
I might be a little old school here, but this is how we kept out hubs on bikes shiny when we were kids. a simple leather strap

besides your smile on your face your hubs will be the shiniest thing on you bike after a hard day of riding

3ca27a1d2169e0247d3a4802c2ab4d75.jpg

sylvain

"2018 Forest Fairies"
I might be a little old school here, but this is how we kept out hubs on bikes shiny when we were kids. a simple leather strap

besides your smile on your face your hubs will be the shiniest thing on you bike after a hard day of riding

3ca27a1d2169e0247d3a4802c2ab4d75.jpg

OLD!

Yeah, that look like back in the days you were using your skinny little leg to move your ass :Stir

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
Ya and this is how I made my bicycle sound like a motor bike in 1965
23187d1426796944-honda-sfa-150-concept-6790fcc2da814fbf8a346f05a2a0dda7-jpg

Those were the days, clean hubs and rad sounding bikes:p

I suspect with a little more thought this could be a way of making self cleaning spokes while your ride, just need a bigger clothes peg

large_wood_clothespin_2.jpg

filterx

Those were the days, clean hubs and rad sounding bikes:p

I suspect with a little more thought this could be a way of making self cleaning spokes while your ride, just need a bigger clothes peg

large_wood_clothespin_2.jpg

From what I hear, there are a number of uses for those if your into that sort of thing :)

filterx

Ironically after 11 years, I'm replacing my OEM 19" rear with a 18" DID rim and stainless spokes later this week. Honestly the OEM hub still looks original.

IF I was to do the hub, I would look into cerakoted.

I got a quote from Dubya in the USA to send them my hub and for something like $150 US, new rim, spokes and cerakoted hub in your choice of colour BUT I got the rim and spokes for $200 CDN with free shipping from FortNine so went that way, I'll post a pic of the hub once I have it off the bike,
http://www.dubyausa.com/wheel-servicing/

sylvain

"2018 Forest Fairies"
Buy some new polished ones Syl. The only problem is they won't stay shiny for long though. Polished hubs and spokes are for supermotos and motorcross bikes.

How about blue hubs and red spokes just like Beta does? Or try these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MADE-IN-USA...APS-DIRTBIKE-SKINS-COATS-COVERS-/251700190592

well
Gift are always welcome !

I got 2 problems here
1- I'm on a budget...
(Someone sold the shop I was using for free, so I had to buy a new house)

2- Beta spokes and nipples are about 3-3,50$ each (I knew girls cheaper than that)
They are not compatible with anything, so no aftermarket (Warp 9 referred me to Bucanan for custom order)

I started to rebuild the wheel already, the Tusk Impact rim look pretty good for 90$ US

Now I need to figure out how to True the things.

sylvain

"2018 Forest Fairies"
Took a different approach for the front wheel.
Removed the spokes and put everything in the dishwasher :)
Result is very good, all the thread are clean.

I did only a bit of polishing with a 400 grit wet sand paper on the hub.

Now waiting for my Warp 9 front rim to arrive.

Next will be to balance the rim with the Motion pro rim lock and figure out how to install the 3D Enduro Mouse without scratching my new rim.

Since I broke my Baja No Pinch tool, it will be old style.

sylvain

"2018 Forest Fairies"
Yes, tubliss is nice, but not for the front.
Front tires are not strong enough.
I was able to get very good traction at McNutt this weekend with my bald rear tire.
With 4-5 pound of air, the side knob get in use way more.

I'll probably keep the tubliss for my second rear wheel.
However, I'm hoping not get my rim square again with the mouse.

I'll add some pic later.

The front spokes look like Nickle plated, so I don't want to sand paper them, just in case.

sylvain

"2018 Forest Fairies"
Just received the front rim, Warp 9, look and feel better quality than the Tusk.
Now I'm mad at me to have chosen the Tusk, specially for 5$ difference.
Will see tomorrow on the wheel balancer/truing stand if the shape and weld are better.

Here the pictures of the cleaning.

IMG_20170416_210154.jpg

IMG_20170418_203903.jpg

IMG_20170418_203854.jpg

IMG_20170418_203757.jpg

IMG_20170418_203803.jpg

Last edited:

LordEndo

Staff member
Will those spokes install okay now that they're bent to the positions they were in? I guess once they're tensioned no big deal?

sylvain

"2018 Forest Fairies"
New spokes would be better?

Well
That's depends how you define better?

I rebuilt a set of wheel in really bad shape for $200
And they will probably be in not so new shape by the end of the summer, so that sound better $$$ for me.