Important Info for the Newbie Ride sCenic Route (Adventure Route) Fun Route

JavaJude

Super Moderator
EDIT:

The roll chart and GPS tracks have been posted for you to download and print. Click on this link:
http://www.dualsportbc.com/forums/s...ure-B-Hard-and-A-Options-Roll-Charts-are-here!

You must download and print the roll chart and/or GPS tracks for this event. They will not be available at the event. If you don't bring a copy or have the tracks then you'll have to follow someone who does have them.

We want to try something NEW (don't be scared) for the Fall Newbie Ride.

We all enjoy riding the Adventure Route but we are very limited in the trails we use because we have to keep it fairly easy. So we end up doing the same route forwards and backwards. So we are going to try an experiment that will make the ride more interesting for those that want to participate(and win wonderful fabulous prizes!!)

We've noticed that many of the Adventure Route riders have a GPS unit. It's boring to just download the route and then follow the tracks. There is NO challenge. So let's make it challenging and let's take a tiny step into the way future off-road rides will be set up.

This year for the Fall Newbie Ride we will be doing a "Chirp" Ride Scavenger Hunt. Oooohhhhhh that sounds exciting. And for those of you who actually participate it will be and you will be helping us test this system for future events.

Here is a list of GPS units that are compatible with the "Chirp" system:

The following Garmin GPS units are compatible with chirp
*Dakota 20
*Oregon 300, 400t, 400i, 400c
*Oregon 450, 450t, 550, 550t
*GPSMAP 62s, 62st
*GPSMAP 78s, 78sc

The following are not compatible with chirp because they do not include ANT+ wireless hardware support:
*Dakota 10
*Oregon 200
*GPSMAP 62
*GPSMAP 78
*All eTrex, GPSMAP 60/76 and nuvi models

The following are not compatible with chirp because Garmin has not provided software support:
*Colorado 300, 400t, 400i, 400c

This is BASICALLY how it works:
  • At the start of the ride at the staging area there will be a "chirp" unit that will give your GPS unit your next GPS coordinate of the next chirp plus a letter clue. You'll then ride to that location with the aid of the GPS tracks and/or the roll chart
  • At the next location there will be another "Chirp" unit. When you get close to that unit it will automatically give your GPS the next chirp location and another letter clue. You'll then ride to the next location and to the next "Chirp" unit.
  • And so on and so on
  • At the end of the ride you will have a set of scrambled letters. Unscramble the letters to form a word. Submit that word and you'll be eligible to win a prize

If your GPS is not chirp compatible there will be waypoints for you to ride to off of the main route. When you come to a waypoint location you will have to find a card that will have a letter or letters printed on it. Record these letters and unscramble them to form a word or words. Submit your answer to win a fabulous prize.

For those of you that don't have a GPS find someone to ride with who does have a GPS or go out and get yourself one.

And for those people who really don't want to participate in this fun scavenger-type of event I'll have a route for you to ride but you won't be eligible for any of the wonderful fantastic gifts and prizes.

For those dualsport adventure riders who participate in bigger events in Canada and the USA, it is my understanding that this is the way of future rides. So we may as well learn how to use it now at a smaller event.

Watch this thread for more info.

Post to this thread if this type of ride interests you and you're looking forward to helping us test this system.

Judy

Last edited:
well im set as i have the Montana 650t but i will be riding at my slow ass pace

Sounds like you may have 2 new friends!

I remember the last time you did up a roll chart - was a hoot to try - so thanks for embarking on a new interesting concept, even if we can't all try it. Since these things must take a lot of work to put together, I think the maxim of "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" applies here.

Bravo :clap: Good on you!

So far, I am "cleared for departure" on that day ... :f:

Hoping Pocket Rocket and his crew can come - I've invited/reminded them ...

Met ADVJen (I think that's her) and her BF down in Bellingham a few weeks ago - I reminder her about this ride too - hope they come on their cool F800s ...

cm

Dan

Well that would be a lot more convenient than the way my 4x4 club does it, coordinates on paper, then find the Tupperware with your next coordinate

but I don't think I'll be upgrading my GPS, I'm probably still paying interest on my 60CSX.

JavaJude

Super Moderator
So do you have a buy a Chirp Chip for your GPS? I have an Oregon 300. I know that it can send and receive information.

Thanks

Rick

Hi Rick
No, you don't have to buy a "chirp" for your GPS. If you have a GPS that's on the list of compatible unit then you will be able to wirelessly connect to the chirps we will be putting out there.

Judy

JavaJude

Super Moderator
Can anyone tell me what the skill level wants to be, or the intensity of the easy route is? It's great that there will be so much experience & guidance on the Newbie ride, so that makes me feel good. Any insight be much appreciated...

The Easy Route is just that "Easy". Anyone on a big adventure bike (BMW GS) with a little bit of gravel road experience or any one on any type of smaller dualsport bike with little to no off-road experience will be able to do this route.

JavaJude

Super Moderator
Just to clarify, if you don't have a compatible Chirp GPS or any GPS, there will be a route sheet available so anyone will be able to the sCenic, Adventure route. There will also be basic GPS tracks available.

Watch this thread for more info.

Judy

JavaJude

Super Moderator
My GPS cratered on the loose screw, but I have a roll chart.
Possible you Can put the C route in roll chart format please?
8½ x 11 paper taped to handlebars lasted 30' at the spring nubie ride.

Yes I am working on a "roll chart" route sheet right now. Will be ready early next week.

There will also be GPS tracks available. The will be ready next week too.

JavaJude

Super Moderator
Hi there. I have a GSALC with street tires.plan to put knobbliest on it next year. I'm Ok in gravel. Good to go?

The sCenic Adventure route is a mixture of pavement, gravel roads, some loose gravel up hills and down hills, there will also be some puddle and lots of pot holes. A pick up truck can drive the entire route without going into 4x4 mode.

This route is meant for bike bikes BUT there are off road sections so if you have slick street tires then you should expect poor grip. If you are a capable off road rider on your GSA then this route will be no problem. At previous Newbie rides there have been a number of big GSAs and they had no problems. Newer riders on smaller bikes are fine on this route.

JavaJude

Super Moderator
Judy...just a thought, but for those that do not have the "chirp" function, maybe give them the gps coords and they can load the waypoints into the gps. It would be up to them to navigate to get to the locations to retrieve the items.

GPS tracks and waypoints will be available so those without chirp GPSs can still play the game. Those without any GPS will have a roll chart route sheet and can do the ride but won't be able to find the hidden clues and play the game. This route is NOT arrowed. Navigation is all part of the fun.

BRING A PEN / PENCIL.

The sCenic Adventure route is a mixture of pavement, gravel roads, some loose gravel up hills and down hills, there will also be some puddle and lots of pot holes. A pick up truck can drive the entire route without going into 4x4 mode.

This route is meant for bike bikes BUT there are off road sections so if you have slick street tires then you should expect poor grip. If you are a capable off road rider on your GSA then this route will be no problem. At previous Newbie rides there have been a number of big GSAs and they had no problems. Newer riders on smaller bikes are fine on this route.

C'mon Judy, you're watering it down to not scare him away. The truth is, its treacherous, few riders will survive, and the ones that do will tell tales of a wild, savage fight for survival ... bikes will burn, lighting up the sky so that the trail of lifeless bodies will be clearly seen ... LOL

J/K - she's dead on. I've done a few of these - they're not scary, and I'm as inept an offroad rider as they come. It will be wet - both leading up to, and for the ride itself, by what the forecast indicates - but it should still be a good time. Best type of "1st time on dirt" venue. It's how a number of us were first introduced to the dirt part of DS riding, and each one has been a superb, well-organized event in all regards.

Yes I am working on a "roll chart" route sheet right now. Will be ready early next week.

There will also be GPS tracks available. The will be ready next week too.

Cool! What size (width) of paper?

I came across a used F2R for a bargain ... was going to mount it over Christmas, but I might be motivated to even do a jury-rigged setup for this ride ...

thanks Judy!

cm

Last edited:

twisted-hog

Where the heck is Tamihi Creek?

Where the heck is Tamihi Creek?

Post to this thread if this type of ride interests you

Judy

I'm interested, it will be my first time out, so where the heck is the Tamihi Creek Staging Area?

I figured it must be in Chilliwack, but I know it's not on Tamihi Way downtown!

I can't find it anywhere on goggle maps?

Following canadius_maximus out there, but would still like to know where this place is.

Thanks,
Steve.

oh and I'll be doing the c-route with my garmin 60Cx

TW_rider

Head EAST on Chilliwack Lake Road. After about 10km, you will cross a bridge...immediately after the bridge is a road to the right. Follow that road past the first campground, past another road that turns left (uphill) and cross another bridge.
About 200 m after crossing the second bridge, you should see the Staging Area on your left.

Since you have a GPS, N 49° 4'18.17" W 121°50'38.39" will put you in the vicinity...

twisted-hog

Head EAST on Chilliwack Lake Road. After about 10km, you will cross a bridge...immediately after the bridge is a road to the right. Follow that road past the first campground, past another road that turns left (uphill) and cross another bridge.
About 200 m after crossing the second bridge, you should see the Staging Area on your left.

Since you have a GPS, N 49° 4'18.17" W 121°50'38.39" will put you in the vicinity...

JavaJude

Super Moderator
C'mon Judy, you're watering it down to not scare him away. The truth is, its treacherous, few riders will survive, and the ones that do will tell tales of a wild, savage fight for survival ... bikes will burn, lighting up the sky so that the trail of lifeless bodies will be clearly seen ... LOL

J/K - she's dead on. I've done a few of these - they're not scary, and I'm as inept an offroad rider as they come. It will be wet - both leading up to, and for the ride itself, by what the forecast indicates - but it should still be a good time. Best type of "1st time on dirt" venue. It's how a number of us were first introduced to the dirt part of DS riding, and each one has been a superb, well-organized event in all regards

CM - Great post. Thank you. :clap:

-Judy-

johnny2bad

Just a few questions:
Do I need to preregister? if so, how?
Is there a drivers meeting etc before, festivities after?
What time should I be there, what time will it wrap up?

Thanks