In search of Bag used to make sand bags

sylvain

"2018 Forest Fairies"
Not so long ago I watched the Red Bull Rampage...
To make a long story short they are only allowed to use sand bag to build trails ramp and landing...

That was a revelation :clap:
We can use the same sand bags to fix our trails faster... at least we should try
We can used them to fill trails holes or as retaining wall...

is anybody has does bags?

If you don't understand what I want to do, it's not a big deal
Bring the bag, someday we can show you the result :)

Newbies ride will be a good time to bring that.

twisted-hog

Municipalities in the lower mainland are given tens of thousands of these each year from the Provincial Government each spring for flood control during spring run off if necessary.

I wonder if district of Chilliwack would spare a few to a good cause?

sylvain

"2018 Forest Fairies"
Municipalities in the lower mainland are given tens of thousands of these each year from the Provincial Government each spring for flood control during spring run off if necessary.

I wonder if district of Chilliwack would spare a few to a good cause?

Good,
That is the goal of that thread, to get used one or unused one!

Biodegradable are probably the best option. No one could complain we destroy the environment!
Just hope they take many years to degrade :)

I do not worry about the filling material, we have sand and dirt everywhere.

r_jackson

A little off topic, but a funny story...

When I was working on a run of the river project at Sechelt Creek in the 90's. We had a bunch of newfies on the crew. Like anyone knows, they worked hard and had fun. So they had made enough money on this job and all 11 of them gave notice that they were going home to "Da Rock". Well since they were leaving the company put them on sand bag duty for their last two weeks. The dropped all these guys off at the bottom of a sand bank beside the road with shovels and burlap sacks in the morning. When the crew bus came down the mountain and picked up the newfies that had so many sandbags that they had even made themselves some seats and tables to sit down and eat during their breaks.

The next day they had built a shelter out of sand bags.

The day after that they had and outhouse.

The day after that it was looking like a small village popping up.

All the while they just kept at it digging into the bottom of this bank making hundreds, if not thousands of these sandbags.

One night we had a huge rainstorm. We headed up the mountain wondering what kind of damage the night had brought. When we got to the Newfie sand bag factory the undercut bank had avalanched down and covered all their work from the last week. Their small sand bag village was completely buried.

Rustic

DSBC President / BCORMA Treasurer
Staff member
Coffee bags are huge compared to sand bags. I can bring a dozen or so to try as well as smaller sand bags. Then can supply more of whatever ones work best.

sylvain

"2018 Forest Fairies"
Since we didn't get any Sand Bag donation at the Newbies ride this need to be re-activated
We still look for some to do some tests for trails improvement...
Something like 2-3 thousand...

Yes, Rob want to build a Sand Bag pub :Stir:hb:

[video]http://www.redbull.com/en/bike/stories/1331823421696/red-bull-rampage-2016-impassable-route-build[/video]

rampage2016-claw-ponder.jpg

Last edited:

sylvain

"2018 Forest Fairies"
bump

Just a remember to those luckier peoples who lives in floated area!
When you're done with those useful sandbag, keep them for us!

I might be available to help to empty some if I can keep them...

or better, save some brand new one for us