Is this a spark arrestor?

DirtClunker

So I was told, buy a dealer in Bend Oregon, that the little screen that screws into the back of a stock KTM EXC/XCF exhaust, is *not* the spark arrestor. Unfortunately I lost mine on Friday and there is not enough time to order one (getting KTM parts on the Island are a PIA). Anyhoo, who cares what the dudes in Bend Oregon say, what matters is the what the LSDS Spark Arrestor Gods say.

So what say you, ye LSDS Spark Arrestor Gods?

KTM_silencer_screen.JPG

Bora20

Administrator
Actually, that little screen is there to soften the noise coming out of the stock EXC exhaust. If you have the stock EXC can on the bike, it will be fitted with a Krizman spark arrestor deep within the can.
774760634_E4PoZ-M.jpg

Try sticking a long wrench or extension down the can (hold onto it) and you *should* hit the spark arrestor about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down. Check this out:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545329

You should also bring the OSSA along for me to watch for you while you go riding… ;) I will get her sold at the raffle.

cactusreid

most stock exhaust cans have it stamped on the side. usually say's something like "US FOREST APPROVED SPARK ARRESTOR" I think most of the good aftermarket (fmf etc) style are also equipped with spark arrestors.

Cultusking

Yes the screen you show thats screwed onto the back of the muffler on the 11-13 EXC is just for emissions and they do just fall off with little effort, it is NOT a spark arrestor. The ones on the 14 and 15 EXC are welded in and require a 1 1/4" hole saw to make them fall out. Better performance, no extra noise (which is very important) and the bike runs better and cooler without them

DirtClunker

Most excellent - thanks for the info guys! Since Dan is the official "LSDS Spark Arrestor God" I shall take it I dont need to purchase one. I run the stock can with no modifications.

thanks!

P.S. Dan, as for the OSSA: if you can get me $10.85 in nickels I shall bring it to the raffle
:cool:

Last edited:

North

So what do I know?

But on my 530 can, on the side facing the Bike. It has the "US FOREST APPROVED SPARK ARRESTOR" stamped on it. This is right behind the end cap.

North

That's just where the number is printed. The end cap is Not a spark arrestor

Right on the main body of the can next to the cap, not on the cap. It has printed "Approved US Forest Service", above there is printed "Spark Arrestor". My Bike is an 08 530 exc-r.

Last edited:

Cultusking

Thats correct, the approval number is printed on the inside (tire side) of the silencer. The spark arrestor is deep within the silencer and is not removable unless you cut the bastard up....which would be a lot of effort for zero return as well as dumb

Dorky

When we slide the LSDS approved test device into your silencer, it should hit your spark arrestor screen at between 3" and 6" depth. If it slides all the way in because you cut the inner screen out, you fail. If your silencer doesn't say that it is an approved spark arrestor device, we probably won't even insert the testing tool.

OnandOff

Sooo getting a little panicked about the spark arrestor. I have a bmw f800gs and bmw dealer and another shop in kelowna say that the CAT acts like a spark arrestor. Is this exceptable for the event??

Thanks!

Shuswap

Hey On/Off I just got off the phone with Pacific Motorsports, the BMW dealer in Richmond, and their tech went and had a look for the USFS stamp certifying the exhaust system has an approved spark and couldn't find one. HOWEVER, he only looked at the f700GS as that is what he could find in the shop and while the engines are near identical, they are not IDENTICAL. His comment was they sell the same model in the US, so it would have to be approved there (and here).

cactusreid

i'm thinking that the spark arrestor police at the loose screw testing and research station, will be most very happy if you show up with a stock muffler. i don't think any company puts out a street legal bike these day's without a spark arrestor equiped muffler.If your running a straight pipe you may be risking a "FAIL" from above said police , but we/they have way more important things on our plates than tearing mufflers apart,checking internals for compliance. Hey If it's good enough for the Bavarian motor works people, it should be plenty good enough for us!

OnandOff

Ok ok panicking a little less.... Just buying a house in kelowna on the 8th unloading the truck, kissing the wife and heading to the event. Our first wedding anniversary is on the 10th so you can imagine the grief I've and ass kissing I've gone through lately and the thought of not being able to ride cause of a spark arrestor would just be my luck :)

Dorky

The USFS does not consider a catalytic converter to be a spark arrestor. http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/03511304/03511304.htm However lots of other people seem to think the chances of hot embers coming from your bike are minimal.

The LSDS spark arrestor police are assuming you are taking your F800 on the C or maybe C+ where the risk is less. You should bribe the LSDS spark arrestor police with beer.

OnandOff

The spark arrestor police assume correctly, and on a second note isn't it amazing how many everyday problems are solved by beer?? :) stoked!!