• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Jesmond Lookout

triplenickel

Totally, did it with my 950 loaded and a bud did it on his loaded KLR on his first significant ride. Are you planning on staying the night or just a day trip? There's lots of places off the main road at the bottom to stash your gear if you want to tear up there empty.

TW_rider

We'll be staying nearby at the Big Bar Guest Ranch...wife will be riding the ponies and I will be riding mine.
I went part way up a few years back, but there was a lot of blow-down which made me wonder...thanks for the info.

triplenickel

You can get to the lookout from that side of the mountain also, you don't have to go around to the Jesmond road by the ferry intersection.

TW_rider

That was the plan...we used to go hunting in that area MANY years ago and I remember the road heading up from underneath the power lines. It's been a few years though!

RocketMan

Road is clear of any blowdown and very little snow at top,took the wife and the fur baby up there last evening.It was quite lovely,would have rather had bikes instead of the truck.

TW_rider

Road is clear of any blowdown and very little snow at top,took the wife and the fur baby up there last evening.It was quite lovely,would have rather had bikes instead of the truck.
Good to know...heading that way this weekend.
Thanks for the intel....

TW_rider

Some proof that I made it there this weekend...
Road up wasn't too bad, a bit of blowdown as stated. The last 100m or so (after the gate) was ugly - coming from a guy who is usually on a 200...!
Speaking of which...is the road to the Cornwall lookout roughly the same as far as grade, composition, etc?

Incredible views from up there, I have a few panos but they don't do it justice...this is one you have to experience in person. You are literally at the top of the world!

VERY windy! Maybe return later on in the year.

triplenickel

Road up wasn't too bad, a bit of blowdown as stated. The last 100m or so (after the gate) was ugly - coming from a guy who is usually on a 200...!
Speaking of which...is the road to the Cornwall lookout roughly the same as far as grade, composition, etc?

Incredible views from up there, I have a few panos but they don't do it justice...this is one you have to experience in person. You are literally at the top of the world!

We hung our hammocks from the cables that run around the top of the interior walls. Ended up staying 2 nights and playing in the area, nice spot.

RocketMan

The road to Cornwall is quite a bit better but very similar,at least in summer you can drive a 2wd there.The lookout is in very poor shape as the Jesmond one is like the Hilton.You can also carry on and come down to Cache creek the back way. Fresh dusting of snow the last 100ft of height this morning.

TW_rider

The road to Cornwall is quite a bit better but very similar,at least in summer you can drive a 2wd there.The lookout is in very poor shape as the Jesmond one is like the Hilton.You can also carry on and come down to Cache creek the back way. Fresh dusting of snow the last 100ft of height this morning.

Thanks....good to know!

RocketMan

Sweeeet ...Got a gps route?
Easy to find joker instead of going down to Big bar off the Jesmond road take the road right across from where u start to drop down to the ferry and climb about 10k and you are there.Prob about 70km from Clinton going the Kelly lake way.

TW_rider

Easy to find joker instead of going down to Big bar off the Jesmond road take the road right across from where u start to drop down to the ferry and climb about 10k and you are there.Prob about 70km from Clinton going the Kelly lake way.
That's it...
About 150m North of the BigBar Ferry turnoff, is a road that cuts under the power lines. It's easy to see on Google Earth. It passes thru a bit of a gravel pit and then 1.3 km later take the LEFT fork.
The road is fairly level for another few km's and then you come to an intersection; going straight takes you back out onto the BigBar Lake road, you want to go RIGHT here. Watch for the DEACTIVATED ROAD signs and the waterbars, and you'll know you're on the right path. The road starts climbing in earnest now and you gain a bit of altitude over the next 3 kms or so.
Now, there are no other turnoffs...just stay on this road until it finally breaks out of the trees. You'll want to admire the views...but keep your eyes on the road! A slip here would be unfortunate!

Hope the weather is better for you than it was for me.

I do have a GPX file for this route (3 parts) if you really want it, but it really is quite easy to find. Interesting to note that when you drive past the OK Ranch and look up, you can actually see the Lookout at the top of the mountain.